Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Who's talking about banning anything?

Did your jewish friend's grandmother, call herself, or her grandchildren, a ****?
My point was that it's not just the N-word that is derogatory towards blacks, so what's the point in trying to stop non-blacks from saying it?

And I've been called a g@@k and another time a j@p. So what? It didn't bother me then, and it still doesn't bother me. Those people were in a moment of anger and also ignorant people. Then calling me those names didn't bring me down because I didn't let those situation get to me.

Blacks just have to stop empowering the N-word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 12:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My point was that it's not just the N-word that is derogatory towards blacks, so what's the point in trying to stop non-blacks from saying it?

And I've been called a g@@k and another time a j@p. So what? It didn't bother me then, and it still doesn't bother me. Those people were in a moment of anger and also ignorant people. Then calling me those names didn't bring me down because I didn't let those situation get to me.

Blacks just have to stop empowering the N-word.
Okay, nothing I disagree with there.

It's all about self respect, as I see it. Ownership is a laughable concept - the word is morphing from being derogatory, to one associated with criminal subculture. It's making a bad word worse.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:55 PM

553 posts, read 617,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Eminem has gone his whole career without using the word, so apparently even he doesn't want to use the word.
Sure, but he used the three closest things to a White equivalent of such when dissing Everlast in "Quitter."

Old 07-26-2018, 01:01 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
I just do not understand the need some folk have to use the N word. I mean this one is really simple. you simply cannot expect to be un-impacted if you use that word, no matter the context. period.

I do understand certain segments of the African American community using the N word. I don't agree but I understand.

for everyone else, this ought to simply be simple. without even the slightest bit of confusion. this is not a complicated issue.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:05 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Apparently using the word and ending it with an "a" instead of an "er" makes a huge difference.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
In the office it’s a bait game -
if you can get at least one apologetic white guy to get canned -for saying what everybody in his office says all day long —-it’s a great day

Old 07-26-2018, 01:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
In the office it’s a bait game -
if you can get at least one apologetic white guy to get canned -for saying what everybody in his office says all day long —-it’s a great day
Glad I don’t work where you do.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:40 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Point granted. I thought about that after I wrote my post. I still don't get why white people care if black people use it amongst themselves.

Or some white people, it would seem.

Not a bad point. That's why I would suggest white folks never, ever use that word in any case, esp. around their kids
Just FYI, the quote you have as me, isn't me.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:41 PM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So... I was told a story about a Jewish friend's grandmother referring to black people as "schvartze" as she rubbed a finger on the skin of her other hand. Should that word be banned also?
We do that too, referencing someone who is black...particularly if that person is "passing" as something else. That might actually have been the meaning of your friend's grandmother.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
As a black man, I face the consequences of using that word all the time. And I do use it.

Those consequences are this: people being angry at me for using a word that they’d get in trouble for saying.

Terrible consequences indeed. And believe me when I say that my feelings are hurt as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies