Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:24 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

Democrats are the only party who routinely route against their own interests

4.1% GDP and they're pissed off lol...you can't make this stuff up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:28 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
4.1% GDP growth and my income (real income adjusted for inflation) is actually less than it was a year or two ago. Why should that make me happy?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Democrats are the only party who routinely route against their own interests

It is crazy

Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
inflation is a sign of a healthy economy. if your wages cant keep up maybe its a personal problem.
Inflation is a sign of a healthy economy. Hmm. You may want to look at Venezuela for a counterfactual.

My "personal problem" is likely relegated to my own middle age, slowing down of earnings. I outpaced most people for a solid 25 years and things are becoming more tepid. I am almost set, I'm cool with that. But I don't think I am an anomaly on the income front. I don't know many population segments outside of a small sliver of rising white collar executives under 35 who are rapidly gaining in today's economy. Forget about blue collar America, they are all totally screwed. Convince me of otherwise please.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:13 PM

I gotta say though, kudos to the old Orange-haired prostitute frequenter. As I recall, he stated at some point that he would achieve 4% GDP if he was president... everyone laughed at him. He has done terrible damage to the long-term picture of our nation's health, if I understand it correctly (which I might not), but he achieved one of his goals. It's a meaningless goal and it doesn't help one single-mom buy a gallon of milk to feed her kids, but he achieved his goal. Bravo, senior dotard.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
So what does this mean for you personally and financially? You can now buy a house? Your debt is lower? Your wages are up?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I gotta say though, kudos to the old Orange-haired prostitute frequenter. As I recall, he stated at some point that he would achieve 4% GDP if he was president... everyone laughed at him. He has done terrible damage to the long-term picture of our nation's health, if I understand it correctly (which I might not), but he achieved one of his goals. It's a meaningless goal and it doesn't help one single-mom buy a gallon of milk to feed her kids, but he achieved his goal. Bravo, senior dotard.

Trump has already got to have more derisive monikers than all previous Presidents combined.

Heck, just the monikers re his being orange alone probably exceed the number of monikers for any other single President.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:41 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Wage growth is coming I believe.
Donald Trumps policies overall will decrease regular Americans spendable income.

Trumps tax cuts do the following,

Raise workers income by 0.8%
Raise middle class income by 1.5%
Raise the richest 1% income by 13.5%
Raise the richest 0.1% income by 14.2%
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#1ccb08765b9d

But to offset the cost of the tax cuts Trumps budget cuts $3.6 trillion dollars from programs used by regular Americans (causing regular Americans to have more out of pocket expenses.)
Trump budget cuts spending by $3.6 trillion over 10 years, with deep cuts to safety net - Chicago Tribune

And republicans plan to cut Social Security and Medicare (giving retired Americans less income and more out of pocket medical expenses.)
https://www.newsweek.com/tax-plan-so...s-rubio-729133
Sen. Rubio tells a secret: After giving a tax cut to the rich, GOP will cut Social Security and Medicare

Trump also abolished a overtime regulation and caused 4.2 million workers to loose billions of dollars in overtime pay.
https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...rtime-pay-cut/
https://qz.com/1072054/dismantling-t...n-from-within/

Trump abolished retirement regulations and workers will lose billions of dollars in retirement savings.
The first 100 days: President Trump

And Trump abolished regulations protecting workers from wage theft.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03692bea814c9

Then Trumps tariffs will raise consumer prices on everything from American made soft drinks to GM automobiles (causing consumers to get less goods for their money.)
Coke Is Raising Prices Because of Donald Trump's Tariffs | Money
https://money.cnn.com/2018/06/29/new...iff/index.html

And Trumps tax cuts will add $2.2 trillion dollars to our national debt (leaving regular Americans with a government less able to assist them.)
Trump and GOP Tax Cut Could Cost Your Kids $2.2 Trillion | Time

Old 07-27-2018, 09:02 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Ever heard of business cycles? We also had tax cuts under Reagan that boosted GDP.

When Bush 2 came into office the economy was slipping towards recession. Then 9/11 happens which was a blow to the economy. The tax cuts got us back to close to 4%. The economy under Obama was slipping the last couple years he was in office. The current tax cuts and pro business stance from the White House has made a difference and things are cycling up instead of slipping into recession.
In 2019 GDP is projected to decrease by 0.3%, and in 2020 GDP is projected to decrease an additional 0.4%.

Why won't the Trump tax cuts increase GDP growth in 2019 and 2020?

https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669

Old 07-28-2018, 06:06 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
Exactly. Thanks for making my point. Its only meaningless to you because its good. If it was terrible it would be obama this obama that. Its a sign of a strong economy bottom line.
Its not a sign of a strong economy for the typical worker when there is no wage growth. A single quarter isnt the sign of anything. Obama had quarters of even 5%+ growth. Its meaningless. And you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies