Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:15 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The median price for a house in the Denver area is >$500,000.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/0...ge-home-price/
You can probably find one for 400K, but you'd be hard put to find even a townhome for <300K that you'd want to live in.

The young people I know don't want "big expensive houses", but you have to take what's out there. Most of these houses under 400K are fairly modest, and this is a fairly modest suburb.
https://www.zillow.com/westminster-co/
I guess you missed the 1800sf mobile home for 120K. The houses for 260K, and condos under 200K.

I guess not good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I guess you missed the 1800sf mobile home for 120K. The houses for 260K, and condos under 200K.

I guess not good enough.
No, you're right, I'm just an elitist. Actually, I didn't read through the whole thing. Now, looking at it more carefully, there are three whole condos for sale for under 200,000-$189K, $195K, and $195K. Westminster has a population of 113,000 people, and there is ONE "mobile home" in a trailer park for sale for under $200k and these three condos. As of 2000, almost 20 years ago, there were 38,343 households (Wiki). That number has probably increased to about 40,000 by now. Gee, 4 homes out of 40,000 is a huge percentage, isn't it? Doing the math, it's 0.01%. 1 home out of every 10,000 goes for under $200K. Piece of cake to find a place!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-31-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 07-31-2018, 02:18 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times
Quote:
No, you're right, I'm just an elitist. Actually, I didn't read through the whole thing. Now, looking at it more carefully, there are three whole condos for sale for under 200,000-$189K, $195K, and $195K. Westminster has a population of 113,000 people, and there is ONE "mobile home" in a trailer park for sale for under $200k and these three condos. As of 2000, almost 20 years ago, there were 38,343 households (Wiki). Gee, 4 homes out of 38,343 is a huge percentage, isn't it? Doing the math, it's 0.01%. Piece of cake to find a place!
You need to compare the amount of affordable properties for sale against the amount of listings not the entire population of homes. If one wants to buy in This location in the lower range, you jump on them as soon as they are listed.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,607,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I made my decision as a teen and oddly, it hasn't changed since then (many decades). My decision was from local experiences about just how shtty people can be and not wanting to bring a life into a world where people were like that. As my world-view increased, I've come to find that initial experience was barely the smallest sliver on the tip of the iceberg. At every turn, absolute confirmation that I made the right decision. I feel pity for the children I'm around, at the world they're being handed (and the complete lack of preparation they're getting). Even those with extra-involved parents who ARE getting the best possible chance, will have to deal with a world that's doing nothing but getting worse in all conceivable and measurable ways.

I have the means and the time, have since I was 30. I believe I would be a good parent, though probably seen as overly-strict to anyone viewing in. Basically, nothing in that article represents why I decided not to have kids many decades ago. I do find it interesting that the ONLY people with low fertility rates are from first-world countries/lives.
Some people are self centered; others not so much ...

Behavioral Aspects of Poverty
Quote:
Poverty in America is overwhelmingly associated with the failure to work on a full-time basis. Many immigrant families do well in the United States despite their lack of education because they tend to form stable families and work harder than many similarly disadvantaged native-born Americans. Yet these mobility-enhancing behaviors, and the attitudes that foster them, often disappear within a generation or two, suggesting that it may be aspects of American culture rather than economic stresses alone that hinder further progress. The more general conclusion is that attitudes and behavior matter. If you stay in school, work hard, marry, and have a reasonable number of children, you may still struggle financially, but you will certainly not be destitute. (my bold)

Old 07-31-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The gist of the article is Americans aren't having children because they don't have the money for them. If you look at the list, the majority of reasons have to do with the financial aspects. It's sad that in a country as wealthy as the US, adults can't afford to reproduce. There is no subsidized childcare, no family leave benefits, and no universal healthcare. When women take time off work to raise their babies, their earning power suffers long term. Or if they stay home, they aren't bringing in money, so finances are strained when families need money the most. Or they can't afford the daycare option if they work. It's a no-win situation.
My husband had a really good job with health care ... time to start a family. The day my son was born, my husband was informed he was fired.

Several weeks after, I was standing inline at grocer check out. Two girls noticed my little one. One said to the other, 'I'd love to have a baby, but we're not financially set yet'.

I wanted to chime in, 'if that is what you're waiting on, then you'll never have child'.

Money isn't everything. But there are those that think that it is. A person wants a new car and new home, they figure it. But funny how they never figure it out when it comes to having a child.

I don't think the lack of money has anything to do with the lack of a desire to have babies.

Buying a car or a house, the person doesn't have to do anything. However, effort is required to raise a child. True not every one that has a child puts forth the effort in raising a child; that's when it's just sad.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is a self inflicted genocide by the people that live Western Nations. This is how a civilization dies and goes backwards. When Islam is the dominant philosophy in the world the women will be severely oppressed once again. Sad, very sad!
Muslims are having children at replacement levels. Western Nations are not. Western Nations have redefined family. Muslim nations have not. However, as Muslim migrate into Western Nations and adopt Western Nations cultures ... I suspect a decline in their fertility rates, as well.

Can't stop evolution, it happens.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
Quote:
The median price for a house in the Denver area is >$500,000.
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/0...ge-home-price/
You can probably find one for 400K, but you'd be hard put to find even a townhome for <300K that you'd want to live in.

The young people I know don't want "big expensive houses", but you have to take what's out there. Most of these houses under 400K are fairly modest, and this is a fairly modest suburb.
https://www.zillow.com/westminster-co/
My daughter just bought a cute little house in Aurora for $280,000. She has a very nice large yard. She can ride her bike to Denver.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I wanted to chime in, 'if that is what you're waiting on, then you'll never have child'.

Money isn't everything. But there are those that think that it is. A person wants a new car and new home, they figure it. But funny how they never figure it out when it comes to having a child.
Our plan was to wait until we had a house and student loans paid off. After a few years we realized that would be never So we decided to go ahead and have our child. Since we had twins, we gave up on the one kid thing and had five. Somewhere along the way, we bought a house and paid off our student loans.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:01 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To find out reasons behind plummeting birth rates, researchers went out and asked young Americans why they weren't interested in having children.

And this was their reply: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/u...ld-us-why.html
Hasn't stopped black people from pumping out kids with no fathers. We are up to 77% and still climbing. I think the black community is shooting for 100%. Pump them out right into poverty.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our plan was to wait until we had a house and student loans paid off. After a few years we realized that would be never So we decided to go ahead and have our child. Since we had twins, we gave up on the one kid thing and had five. Somewhere along the way, we bought a house and paid off our student loans.
The development of your family reminds me of a conversation I was having with a co-worker, just yesterday, as we were talking about our families. Her brother and his wife had twins and stopped at the fifth child ... funny coincidence.

And also as they say ... best laid plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies