Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Speaking from a legal perspective (if not already said): sometimes, in cases such as this, the defendant (here, Mr Manafort) will resist any offer to 'flip' before seeing the case. In other words, if Mr. Manafort is going to 'flip', it will be when the prosecution rests.

See the evidence. If it is going against you, then negotiate before starting your part of the trial.

However, I am one of those that feel that Mr. Manafort is 'old school': he would rather go to prison, then become a rat. Of course, if convicted, he probably is hoping for a Presidential Pardon. Knowing Mr. Trump's character, it is a wise roll of the dice.
I suspect that Manafort will be reluctant to flip because of Putin. Prison is probably the more pleasant option.

As to a Trump pardon, I thought Manafort was on trial in Virginia on state charges. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:18 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
So what if Manafort was connected to the party Putin backed in Ukraine.

Was it not a U S foreign policy goal to spread democracy and freedom?

Are posters saying that spreading democracy does not include Ukraine? Russia?

Are hypocrites saying they only back democracy if it is Pro U S and anti Russia?

Oh, I get it now people embrace democratic tyranny where countries have to choose pro U S candidates or face U S foreign policy wrath.

Yep, Americans defenders of democracy and freedom. LMFAO

Old 08-02-2018, 05:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
So what if Manafort was connected to the party Putin backed in Ukraine.

Was it not a U S foreign policy goal to spread democracy and freedom?

Are posters saying that spreading democracy does not include Ukraine? Russia?

Are hypocrites saying they only back democracy if it is Pro U S and anti Russia?

Oh, I get it now people embrace democratic tyranny where countries have to choose pro U S candidates or face U S foreign policy wrath.

Yep, Americans defenders of democracy and freedom. LMFAO

You really have no clue what happened in the Ukraine, do you. If Manafort had backed a faction of the Canadian government that wanted to take Maine away from the United States by force, would you get that?

Old 08-02-2018, 05:40 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Prosecutor's today tried to smear Manafort because he's rich, but Judge Sullivan excoriated him and told the jury, "It's not a crime to have a lot of money."
Correction: Judge T. S. Ellis

Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Day 1. It begins.

The federal courthouse in Virginia does not allow electronic devices in the building, but we should be getting updates shortly.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1024097313051029504

"THE TRIAL: Former Trump Campaign Manager Paul Manafort Vs The United States of America."

I think you have it WRONG.

It IS "The United States vs Paul Manafort!

If can't even get THAT right, why would we believe ANYTHING you say?

Old 08-02-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trumpsters will be chirping in, "Manafort's trial has nothing to do with Trump!"

... except Manafort was Trump's campaign manager. And when he was campaign manager, did all those deep relationships with the Russians suddenly disappear? I don't think so.
Libs are chirping. "Manafort's trial has nothing to do with Trump!""

What are the charges against Manafort?

Do ANY of the charges have ANYTHING to do with Trump?

I thought they were all LONG BEFORE Paul became involved in the Trump campaign.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually, I do doubt Obama enlisted Manafort to be a part of this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...kraine-n775431

"Actually, I do doubt Obama enlisted Manafort to be a part of this:"

Considering when the things Manafort supposedly did these things, I do doubt Trump enlisted Manafort to be a part of this:"

Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 AM

Typical dem. NEVER take RESPONSIBILITY.

These charges against Manafor were for things he did DURING the Obama presidency.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:03 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You really have no clue what happened in the Ukraine, do you. If Manafort had backed a faction of the Canadian government that wanted to take Maine away from the United States by force, would you get that?
Manafort was sure spreading something but it wasn't democracy and he profited very handsomely from the Pro-Russian Party.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:08 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Actually, I do doubt Obama enlisted Manafort to be a part of this:"

Considering when the things Manafort supposedly did these things, I do doubt Trump enlisted Manafort to be a part of this:"
The usual deflection to Obama.

Trump was totally unaware of Manfort's work for Victor Yanukovych, never heard about hi apartment in Ukraine. If true that isn't a ringing endorsement for Trump's judgement when it comes to selecting executives, out of all the possible candidates Manfort was the best he could come up with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies