Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Consider a famous conspiracy theorist on the opposite side: Michael Moore. What have the respectable sane folks who want to ensure that only factual information is being spread done with Michael Moore?

He's a regular and respected guest on CNN, MSNBC, the BBC, etc. If the goal is to expunge false information, then the Left needs to practice what they preach. Michael Moore is a pretty good mirror image for Alex Jones too. Both range between just reporting what's going on in the world to crazy conspiracies with no substantiating evidence.

I have repped you before on this thread, but I am very curious as to what non-factual information Moore has claimed is actually fact. I know that he spouts a lot of opinions, but so far as I know, he states his opinions as being opinions. If that is not true, I would like to know that.

(If you are talking about 9/11, in the opinion of literally thousands of experts on various aspects of the 9/11 attack, the official 9/11 story is not the whole truth. But, again, I don't want to derail this thread, so perhaps you could just DM me with one or more links?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Consider a famous conspiracy theorist on the opposite side: Michael Moore. What have the respectable sane folks who want to ensure that only factual information is being spread done with Michael Moore?

He's a regular and respected guest on CNN, MSNBC, the BBC, etc. If the goal is to expunge false information, then the Left needs to practice what they preach. Michael Moore is a pretty good mirror image for Alex Jones too. Both range between just reporting what's going on in the world to crazy conspiracies with no substantiating evidence.

There's a price to be paid for the 1st Amendment in this nation. Idiots get equal time to speak. The trick is, a nation where free speech is absolute, the people tend to be a lot less gullible. They know nonsense when they hear it. The majority of Americans don't fall for conspiracy theories because on average we're not stupid enough to fall for it.

These companies are private entities. They have the right to ban the speech of whoever they want. This may cause some problems with their relationship with the government because they do have an understanding with the federal government to be politically neutral. They get tax breaks or some other special thing in return. Not sure of the details but I remember it being mentioned when Zuckerberg and Diamond and Silk all went before Congress. Whatever agreement they have with the federal government is, I'd say it's null and void at this point. They can continue censoring mostly Right-leaning voices on their platforms, but the government no longer owes them any special consideration. We will see how this works out for them. It might not hurt them at all or it might result in them all going the way of My Space.
If Michael Moore created a conspiracy on level with Sandy Hook and 9/11 then he should be banned. I disagree with you regarding people understanding nonsense when they see it, there are people on this thread alone that believed that Jade Helm was a government conspiracy to take peoples guns, there are people that believe that both Sandy Hook and 9/11 were US government conspiracies. We have found how easily people are taken over by posts in the last election that were generated by Russian trolls. The internet has provided people a platform that you would have listened to decades ago.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
99% of what he says is pure quackery and false to boot.

He is allowed to say whatever he wants.

The Constitution is a contract between you and the government and the government and I, but it is not a contract between the you and I.

You have zero constitutional rights on my property. Businesses are no different.

The Constitution is a contract between government and business, and between government and you, but not between business and you.

Businesses can search you before entering the premises without a warrant. Your only options are submit to the search or don't enter. Businesses can search your work-space, search your computer, monitor your computer activities, and monitor the telephone calls you make using their telecomm equipment, without a warrant.

Your 1st Amendment rights are severely limited in a business. You have Free Speech and Freedom of Religion only to the extent it does not impede or impair your job performance, or impede, impair or disrupt co-workers performing their jobs.

Google and others are free to accept or ban any content for any reason, or no reason at all, since Google and all other non-government entities are not subject to the Constitution.

If Alex Jones doesn't like it, he's free to set up his own web-site.

Alex Jones claimed Democrats would start a civil war on July 4th. Just another glaring example of his many, many failures.

The guy has a track record worse than Hal Lindsay.

Does that mean he shouldn't be able to say it?
I think you shouldn't be able to say anything, like many here think I shouldn't be able to say anything.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Does that mean he shouldn't be able to say it?
I think you shouldn't be able to say anything, like many here think I shouldn't be able to say anything.
He IS allowed to say whatever he wants, in that, he's never been charged with a crime for his outrageous lies.

Businesses don't want to carry his message because they have advertising dollars to pursue, and the smart money isn't going to advertise where he is.

He's being sued for damage he caused, and he can still continue causing but he will have to face possibly paying money to repair the damage he continues to do to perfectly innocent people.

No law official has ever said he can't say whatever he pleases, when he pleases.

He still can. He can expect to pay his victims, though, when his lies cause them damage.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:51 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
If you want to be entertainment or satire it needs to be clearly stated in the programming.

This is a work of fiction, similarities to real world events is either coincidental and or simply make believe. What your are about to hear is not true.

You shouldn't be able to spread false information as legitimate news no more than someone yelling fire in a crowded venue.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He IS allowed to say whatever he wants, in that, he's never been charged with a crime for his outrageous lies.

Businesses don't want to carry his message because they have advertising dollars to pursue, and the smart money isn't going to advertise where he is.

He's being sued for damage he caused, and he can still continue causing but he will have to face possibly paying money to repair the damage he continues to do to perfectly innocent people.

No law official has ever said he can't say whatever he pleases, when he pleases.

He still can. He can expect to pay his victims, though, when his lies cause them damage.
Who the hell is a victim of what Jones says?

You would think the guy pushed the pope off a bridge.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:

The Sandy Hook families, that he called liars and actors, and published maps to their homes for his followers.

You don't have to physically assault someone to victimize them. And the only reason he's not guilty of libel or slander is because he could probably prove in court he believes the garbage he's spewing. You have to know what you're saying is a lie to be guilty of that.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
If you want to be entertainment or satire it needs to be clearly stated in the programming.

You shouldn't be able to spread false information as legitimate news no more than someone yelling fire in a crowded venue.
What does Bill Mahr spread?
What does Phill Mudd spread?
What does Buzzfeed spread?
What does Media Matters spread?
What does CNN spread?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:58 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:

He doxxed some of the victims' parents and they had to move several times since they were being harassed.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The Sandy Hook families, that he called liars and actors, and published maps to their homes for his followers.

You don't have to physically assault someone to victimize them. And the only reason he's not guilty of libel or slander is because he could probably prove in court he believes the garbage he's spewing. You have to know what you're saying is a lie to be guilty of that.
He hurt someones feelings?
That is victimizing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies