Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Actually government already ruled. When the baker's rights to deny service to the gay couple was upheld. Bakery is a private company and has the same rights to deny service as the private companies of YouTube and similar.

Alex Jones and info wars can easily just host content on thier own servers and services.
The Court held that one of the bakers in question was not treated respectfully by the state court. SCOTUS carefully avoided upholding the baker's right to deny service. They simply said the lower court had not given the baker's religious beliefs the respect and hearing those beliefs deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 03:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Good question. (Beats me, and I just wish that I had a definitive answer.)

Of course, being a moderate, I often wonder the same thing about some of the extreme-right sites, too!
There really is no defending the likes of Stormfront and the like. They're just dumb. But there really aren't any mega-corporations on the Internet that are massively Right-Wing. I suppose it's got a lot to do with computer technology and Internet companies growing up in the Bay Area of California. They are all strongly left-leaning to the point that they don't even realize it.

Do you know of any absolutely massive social media virtual monopoly that happens to lean Right politically? I can't think of one.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So you want Alex Jones to get more support and exposure? Interesting. All of that will happen organically because that's how the Internet tends to work.

They just assured Gen Z is going to get Red Pilled by INFOwars.

Tell a kid NO.....
Taboo!!!!!!!

The Streisand Effect. It is real

Old 08-06-2018, 03:48 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He shouldn't have an opinion?

He's the deal:
You cannot be funny, smart, or genuine on Youtube - Facebook - Twitter
Yes.. He can have a opinion but no private entity should be required to host it.

He is perfectly welcome to host the content himself.

The post you refer to was in response to the implication that the dislike for Alex Jones was purely a liberal one... Many conservatives don't like what he has to say...

Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Well over 200 posts on a private entity making a business decision.

I don't get it.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm not sure everyone is there yet, but we'll get there: YouTube, Facebook and Apple have every legal right to sanction Alex Jones. My contention is that it's a bad idea. Clearly these companies are heavily Left-biased. This is exactly the wrong move to make. Just letting a conspiracy theorist spout their drivel to anyone willing to listen is the best course of action. Moving in all at once -- more than one mega-company -- all to silence the conspiracy theorist -- that's the proverbial book burning in town square. People who never gave a crap about the book being burned will pay through the nose for a copy to see what all the fuss was about. This only makes Alex Jones and Info Wars stronger. They're calling it "The Great Purge." They're going to milk it for all its worth. And in a nation of people who believe in free speech absolutism, this just looks terrible.

But yes, Facebook, YouTube and Apple have the legal right to do what they're doing.
Your opinion that it's a bad idea is duly noted. I don't agree. Misinformation is a growing problem. Pizzagate is a great example. There was nothing, absolutely nothing, not a single fact that supported the pedophilia ring story. But it took hold, and there are still people that believe it. Alex Jones spews misinformation in order to get people to buy his overpriced products. And people believe it. Social media organizations like Facebook and Apple don't want anything to do with it. And what they are doing is the responsible, right thing to do. It doesn't look terrible.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Yep. One site real.video is where his videos are. The left may celebrate now, but when their media is taken down, let's see how much they celebrate.
This. Go ahead liberals, laugh it up now, but those in power are going after the group of people who are the muscle and guns of the world. If we are defeated, then there is no one to stop them from going after you. You all will be thrown into concentration camps to do the bidding of the elite. You just watch. Laugh now and suffer later, or fight now so all of us simpletons can have a future!

Old 08-06-2018, 03:53 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well over 200 posts on a private entity making a business decision.

I don't get it.
Considering that the conservative right is suppose to be the champion of individual freedoms, corporate rights, and personal responsibility, I find it very strange that this thread made it past the first page or two.

If the tables were turned, I absolutely expect to be schooling liberals pages on pages ... I find more liberals don't quite understand the whole private vs public entity notion and the idea of freedoms of not only individuals but also business

Old 08-06-2018, 03:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
This. Go ahead liberals, laugh it up now, but those in power are going after the group of people who are the muscle and guns of the world. If we are defeated, then there is no one to stop them from going after you. You all will be thrown into concentration camps to do the bidding of the elite. You just watch. Laugh now and suffer later, or fight now so all of us simpletons can have a future!
I'm good. Don't forget to post on YouTube what that detention camp food is like.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:56 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm good. Don't forget to post on YouTube what that detention camp food is like.
I bet there will be cake at least
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies