Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, the word Hispanic was invented for the census.
The word first appears in print in the 1580s, and was first applied to the Spanish speakers of Latin America as early as 1889.

In neither case did it apply to a census. The word was first used by the U.S. census in 1972, but they didn't invent it like you invent some of your "facts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 01:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nah, I know a whole slew of legal Hispanics, and they do not resent illegals.

I think Hispanic vote would be split more or less 50/50 if GOP didn't work OT pushing them away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I know a whole slew who do resent them. /shrug
I live in a border state, New Mexico, and have worked in a couple of industries here that employ a good number of legal and illegal Hispanic immigrants as well as Hispanic people with a 500 year pedigree in the region.

I would say, on the balance, the local Hispanic population does at least resent illegal immigration, if not the illegal immigrants themselves.

Most of the Hispanics who are supportive of loose borders tend to be from the same privileged, middle class, educated liberal demographic as their Anglo supporters, while most of the resentment against illegal workers is among the long standing Hispanic families who labor in the working class among them (or even, admittedly hypocritically, employ them).

In short, what I hear the most is people who think that illegal immigrants should be treated humanely, even have their status reformed, but at the same time think the ultimate solution is tighter border control, not free movement.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Latino culture likes strong men. Trump is a strong leader. I was surprised at how many Latinos were at one Trump gathering I attended during the campaign. I live in a state Hillary won.
Left is also pushing against whites. Latinos usually consider themselves white.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who isn’t busy working and being productive right now? Name ‘em
Congress

Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
we are not seeing the types of numbers with Hispanic voters that we should be seeing with the most hostile person to ever hold public office against Hispanics as the President,"

Fake news. And many Hispanics know it.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:53 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Cubans typically do not support illegal immigration. Puerto Ricans don't either - immigration has nothing to do with them. Also, plenty of people of other "hispanic" nationality groups who are citizens or legal residents in the U.S don't support illegal immigration.

The illegal immigrant cause is more of a Mexican-American issue that only they support. Mexicans project their opinions onto everybody else with the "Latino" pan-ethnic label in the media.

You are right and unfortunately most Hispanics in this country are of Mexican descent so that's why you see them overwhelmingly voting for the Democrats as they want amnesty for their illegal amigos.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 PM

62,960 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yeah, because Trump just loves Hispanics.

Please provide examples of how Trump hates Hispanics. I'll wait.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:57 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
hard working people don't want to listen to the Democrats.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:58 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Fake news. And many Hispanics know it.
I'm glad they see it.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:19 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Hispanics are not the straight ticket, identity politics voters that blacks routinely have been. The expectation that they will be is going to be a constant source of frustration for the Democrats, because latinos are usually much more practical in their thinking than that.

Exactly!

Though often lumped under umbrella of "Latino-Hispanic" that demographic is made up of a wide array of persons with different backgrounds. As such they also hold very different political views.

So called "white" Cubans, South Americans, Puerto Ricans and a few others often have far different take on things than Mexicans, Dominicans, San Salvadorians, etc... None of this even begins to touch the "race" issue which often pervades Latino-Hispanic conversations or whatever.

The elite "white/European" Cubans who ran things in Cuba and pretty much are doing same in South Florida have little or no use for the recent arrivals fleeing that country. They consider them with same distain their grand parents or even themselves did when back on that island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies