Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

I would have gotten worse than a taser when I was 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Officer safety! Officer safety! Officer safety!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Does anarcho-capitalism allow shoplifting? If not, does it allow private security forces to use tasers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If the private security force is in reality a highly trained police officer, who is authorized by the state government to use tasers, then sure.
I'm asking in the context of anarcho-capitalism which does not recognize the authority of the state. Mr. DeForrest was joining the side of those who said the officer acted inappropriately, and he is also an avid supporter of anarcho-capitalism. I'm wondering how anarcho-capitalism handles shoplifting. Is it just allowed? If a private establishment has the right to NOT allow shoplifting, what right does the establishment have to enforce it? It would have to use a private security force, naturally, but how would that security force enforce the rule? Could it use tasers? And what if the sovereign customer didn't agree with the rule? Would it still apply to him or her?

Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Can you show where anyone, a police officer, a security gaurd or anyone have been charged with abuse for simply detaining a shop lifter?
There have been cases where officers got fired over such, yes. On particular case a while back was an SRO who had to physically removed a student from class after the teacher and principal were unable to get her to cooperate. No I'm not going to search it for you. There are cases where officers are accused of such all the time.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There have been cases where officers got fired over such, yes. On particular case a while back was an SRO who had to physically removed a student from class after the teacher and principal were unable to get her to cooperate. No I'm not going to search it for you. There are cases where officers are accused of such all the time.
The officer did not simply apprehend the student. He smacked her around and threw her around the room. Try again.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:27 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
The officer did not simply apprehend the student. He smacked her around and threw her around the room. Try again.
Yep. That is how the public perceives it when an officer is subduing a resisting person and therein lies the problem.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
I've not seen a single case where a police officer has been condemned for apprehending someone. For beating them afterwards, yeah.
In the US there is a different standard regarding use of force by the police to Europe (and other parts of the world), and police in the US can use use force including deadly when they “reasonably” perceive imminent and grave harm. Although how an unarmed 11 year old girl can ber perveived as grave harm is anyones guess and this was excessive force imho.

In Europe, force is considered unnecessary if alternatives exist and all alternatives must be exhausted before force can be used and when force is used it must be the minimal force necessary and Police officers shall, as far as possible, apply non-violent methods before resorting to any use of force and this gould include de-escalation techniques taught during police training.

"The Criminal Law Act 1967 (England & Wales), the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 and common law apply to all uses of force by the police and require that any use of force should be ‘reasonable’ in the circumstances. Reasonable in these circumstances means:absolutely necessary for a purpose permitted by law, the amount of force used must also be reasonable and proportionate (ie, the degree of force used must be the minimum required in the circumstances to achieve the lawful objective) otherwise, it is likely that the use of force will be excessive and unlawful".

It also should be noted that police officers should be taught that there is "an increased risk of cardiac arrhythmia and barb penetration in children and thin adults" when using taser.

Individual officers are accountable and responsible for any use of force, and must be able to justify their actions in law and all cases of serious injury or death must be referred to Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) and the crime scene forensically secured.

In Europe (ncluding Article 2 of the European Covention on Human Rights - 'The Right to Life' applies to the police use of force.

In this case, the officer would be brought before the Courts in Europe and would be unable to justify the tasering of an 11 year old girl as exhausting all alternatives, he would therefore most likely be found guilty with a sentence of manslaughter which can carry a life sentence and dismissed from the police service.

This is what would happen in the UK, Europe and most of the rest of the western world but the US is different and has a different standard of force relating to it's police.

Police use of force - College of Policing (England & Wales)

Why do American cops kill so many compared to European cops? - The Conversation

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-08-2018 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep. That is how the public perceives it when an officer is subduing a resisting person and therein lies the problem.
No one was resisting in this instance so a case where someone was does not apply.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
I think I remember that. He pulled her away from her desk and threw her on the floor. If that's the same he case then he was out of line.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes.

I don't really remember how many stories I've read of tasers killing victims of their use. But I have read them. I've yet to read a story of handcuffs killing someone (although, maybe they are out there). Common sense would tell me that handcuffs would be less likely to be lethal, though. And a HELL of a lot more civilized for the treatment of a little girl.

And you want some irony? Half the people defending this would have a major coronary if the headline were to read, "Animal Control Officer uses taser on incessantly barking dog."

If I'd read that headline, I'd smile and give a thumbs up. Especially after being kept up half the night last night by one.

But, unless that little girl murdered someone in the department store, I'm not going to support electrocution. Handle it another way, Officer Big Brute.
It wasn't even a department store. The girl was stealing food.

I definitely don't think it justifies a taser being used on an 11 year old girl.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:48 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
My Mom and dad would have kicked my a$$ old school in public and grounded me for months if I got caught shoplifting.......I rather get taser than to face my parents especially my Mom when she got angry.

today's kids are soft and spoiled.....that's why many don't respect authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies