Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,859,031 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — In 2016, some of the Republican Party's most reliable voters — Mormons — rebuked candidate Donald Trump at the ballot box. Two years later, many are so uneasy with President Trump that they could sit out the midterms, jeopardizing GOP candidates in several races critical to Republican control of Washington.

Indeed, with just 13 weeks before the November congressional elections, Mormon activists and operatives are warning that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints might stay home, denying Republican candidates not just their votes but their typically robust financial and volunteer support.

Mormons are a small but significant portion of the GOP base. Although less than 2 percent of the U.S. adult population is Mormon, they typically vote overwhelmingly for the GOP. According to a 2014 Pew Research Center study, 70 percent of Mormons identified as Republicans, more than any other religious group in the country.
Mormon distaste for Trump could hurt GOP candidates in 2018

Wonderful news, L-O-V-E IT!

Old 08-11-2018, 09:22 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,791,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Indeed, with just 13 weeks before the November congressional elections, Mormon activists and operatives are warning that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints might stay home, denying Republican candidates not just their votes but their typically robust financial and volunteer support.

Wouldn't it be more productive to vote for a different candidate / party then just not voting Republican? If they really want to get rid of Trump, it would be far more effective to vote in Democrats candidates.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:28 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,859,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Wouldn't it be more productive to vote for a different candidate / party then just not voting Republican? If they really want to get rid of Trump, it would be far more effective to vote in Democrats candidates.

Good question, but maybe that isn't an option for voters who are more determined to remain true to their religious beliefs than all those phony evangelical Christians?????

Just shows that in no way do they consider the immoral/inhuman/vile/vulgar/dirt-bag Trump to represent conservative Republicans! I respect them for their stand.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 08-11-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,950,689 times
Well, I don't know about the other candidates, but Mitt Romney is guaranteed to be a shoo in in the 2018 midterms. Since I live about 20 miles from the Utah state line, many of my neighbors are Mormon and when I talk to them they certainly dislike Trump, but so far anyhow, they dislike Democrats even more. I think the journalist who wrote that story was a tad too optimistic about Mormons voting for Democrats. Time will tell.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:47 PM

5,316 posts, read 2,119,927 times
Well, we almost went third party in 2016. Time will tell.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:57 PM

30,203 posts, read 11,859,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
WASHINGTON — In 2016, some of the Republican Party's most reliable voters — Mormons — rebuked candidate Donald Trump at the ballot box. Two years later, many are so uneasy with President Trump that they could sit out the midterms, jeopardizing GOP candidates in several races critical to Republican control of Washington.
That is disingenuous. Trump won Utah. Evan McMullin decided to run a campaign as an independent. It was an anomaly not more than that. One thing that Mormons dislike more than Trump is liberals.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
Romney is honest, there is no reason to put him in the same box as Trump. I agree that many Mormons will abstain from voting for any R except Romney unless the candidate is an observant member of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 PM

5,316 posts, read 2,119,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is disingenuous. Trump won Utah. Evan McMullin decided to run a campaign as an independent. It was an anomaly not more than that. One thing that Mormons dislike more than Trump is liberals.
Eh, not all. There are even liberal Mormons.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,478,297 times
Mormon distaste for Trump could hurt GOP candidates in 2018

There is a lot of irony in this. Like Mormons, American Muslims tend to lean conservative on social issues, are industrious, are religious and would make good natural Republicans. They were well on track to be another base for the Republican party until Trump and his gang decided to make them into scapegoats.

These people's values have not changed, but they are not going to be supporting the Republican party with Trump at the helm.

Same thing with Mexicans. They should be strong support for the Republican party and there was a lot of outreach to them before Trump. As a group they tend to be very industrious and conservative religiously and socially.

Hindus, Sikhs and Jains are on the same trajectory (to be a strong base for Republicans), but since most cornbread Republicans don't understand them they have not been publicly scapegoated, so they will probably support Republicans unless or until they also find themselves on the angry white hit list, or unless they just become so disgusted with Trump's immorality and criminality that they sit out like the Mormons.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:40 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,156,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Romney is honest, there is no reason to put him in the same box as Trump. I agree that many Mormons will abstain from voting for any R except Romney unless the candidate is an observant member of the Church of Latter Day Saints.
Romney is the eternal flip flopper and has about as much integrity as Gumby...
Quote:
Two years ago, Romney attacked Trump’s very same policies on trade, spending and national security. Today, like other candidates across the country this election season, Romney is taking an approach that suggests there’s no room for an outspoken Trump critic in Republican Party.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...ly-complicated
Romney also does not mind licking a boot now and again...obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.