Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Fox Sports will no longer air coverage of the National Anthem before its NFL games.
It plans to follow "standard procedures" and not air this wonderful ceremony.

I don't know about you, but as a kid I never remember any and I mean any sporting event,
including wrestling " an entertainment sport " without hearing the national anthem.

Fox decides not to show it at all as NFL players continue to protest racial injustice
during this time prior to every start of a game.

What is wrong with just panning and focusing the cameras on our Beautiful Flag during this time ?

To cut out the National Anthem altogether is disrespectful akin to burning the flag.
So many generations have given their lives for our flag.
I respect and thank every veteran and enlisted service man and woman I bump into during the course of my daily life.
They have put their lives before ours so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today.

I am shocked that a syndicated station can only come up with childish resolve to appease its viewers.
Until then I will show my support by viewing other stations that will respect out country by airing the National Anthem.
I consider myself a pretty patriotic person, but in reality I think your memory must be fuzzy. I can tell you for a fact that in baseball they probably air the national anthem 3-5 times during the regular season of 162 games. Its not played constantly, by any stretch.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:56 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I’m happy to hear this. Sports have no business playing the anthem. What’s the point. People in the stands are disrespectful because they could care less about it since they are too busy getting food and drinks. So why do you care
Its "paid patriotism". A marketing ploy to get more recruits:

Quote:
The McCain/Flake report finds $53 million in Department of Defense spending for patriotic displays at sporting events.
https://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/4/9...report-million

Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Quote:
Fox Sports will no longer air coverage of the National Anthem before its NFL games.

I don't know about you, but as a kid I never remember any and I mean any sporting event,
including wrestling " an entertainment sport " without hearing the national anthem.

Fox decides not to show it at all as NFL players continue to protest racial injustice

What is wrong with just panning and focusing the cameras on our Beautiful Flag during this time ?

To cut out the National Anthem altogether is disrespectful akin to burning the flag.
I respect and thank every veteran and enlisted service man and woman I bump into during the course of my daily life.
They have put their lives before ours so that we can continue to enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today.

I am shocked that a syndicated station can only come up with childish resolve to appease its viewers.
Until then I will show my support by viewing other stations that will respect out country by airing the National Anthem.

I hope you never watch ESPN because their rule is to not air the national anthem during MNF. (it's been policy to never broadcast the national anthem during MNF)

ESPN president says network will not air national anthem on 'Monday Night Football' | Fox News

"We generally have not broadcasted the anthem and I don't think there’s going to be any change this year. Our plan going into this year is to not broadcast the anthem,” Pitaro said.

“Again, there could be changes. It’s somewhat unpredictable what’s going to happen in the world but as of now our plan now is to not broadcast the anthem. We have communicated that back to the NFL. They have not asked but we proactively just as a courtesy and as good partners let them know what our plans are,” he continued.

The network also did not air the national anthem during last season’s "Monday Night Football" broadcasts.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:

I don't know what the heck you are talking about.

Most football games have avoided the viewing of the Anthem for what seems like the last couple of years.

The local news for local teams avoid the topic like the plague.

Pretty much only FOX News channel seems to bring it up.

I'd heard recently that Monday Night Football is gonna stop airing it but who watches MNF anymore? Probably the same number of folks who watch Sunday Night Football.

Bottom line, it's all a message from the players that they don't like President Donald J Trump. Join the effing club.

What makes me laugh my head off is how John Elway destroyed the idiots' narrative of standing vs kneeling by worthless has-been Colin Kaepernic by telling us that the Broncos made him an offer and he turned it down.

Waa! The White coaches won't hire a Bwack Quwarterback! Waa! Not My Fwootbawl Weague! WAA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
There's no reason at all why we have to play the national anthem when Philadelphia plays Boston, or when Podunk High plays Village High. What on earth is that all about anyway? If you want a starting rouser to the games, let the cheerleaders lead a good cheer, for goodness' sake.
Oh please don't get me started with the worthless camera men. They show the cheerleaders from the neck up.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-19-2018 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: off topic/trolling

Old 08-18-2018, 11:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
If they hadn't made an announcement, most people wouldn't even have noticed.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
National= America
Its all about being patriotic to your country and remembering those lost in war.
Well, as tyrannical as our modern day govt is, I really dont think its a good idea to honor them with patriotism. They are NOT deserving of this honor.

Im not just talking about the Trump administration either, it goes much deeper than any one president or administration.

According to the Constitution, we are NEVER to obey or comply with a tyrannical authority, in fact American citizens are required to do what they can in order to remove such a govt from power, so in the US today, real patriotism, would look more like domestic terrorism on the surface.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It is ESPN. Don't know about Fox Sports.

Football is declining rapidly. Some high schools are disbanding teams.
https://www.apnews.com/66e699491a3b478293620c1e5069dc9e
There are probably lots of reasons for this and we have all talked about what they are. The article points out that football will die last in the South and West.

Personally, I'm glad. Football has added nothing to education and in fact has been the cause of many high school students' lost interest in academics. In my area high school football stars are still written up and talked about as if they were The Second Coming. That'll go on for some years, but some day it will pass.
On to something more important.
I agree, for the most part. I have no problem with high school sports, but they should be a side dish, not the main course. When they overshadow academic pursuits, and communities spend money on new stadiums that could be better spent on computers, science labs, and textbooks, something is seriously wrong.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:12 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
[quote=Mr.Retired;52838544]Fox Sports will no longer air coverage of the National Anthem before its NFL games.

Until then I will show my support by viewing other stations that will respect out country by airing the National Anthem.[/QUOTE

Exactly as I predicted, this little anti-Trump national anthem situation is going to be resolved by not playing the national anthem before games. That's the end result, but in the meantime, kudos to Fox for taking away the soapbox for these spoiled, whiny players. Now let's just play some football and leave the politics for another time and space!

Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
FOX will fold,they always do. Wanna bet trump ways in???

Old 08-19-2018, 06:04 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It is ESPN. Don't know about Fox Sports.

Football is declining rapidly. Some high schools are disbanding teams.
https://www.apnews.com/66e699491a3b478293620c1e5069dc9e
There are probably lots of reasons for this and we have all talked about what they are. The article points out that football will die last in the South and West.

Personally, I'm glad. Football has added nothing to education and in fact has been the cause of many high school students' lost interest in academics. In my area high school football stars are still written up and talked about as if they were The Second Coming. That'll go on for some years, but some day it will pass.
On to something more important.

Football is declining, but some other sports are as well. As much as a decline we see in the NFL, I can't see any other sport/league surpassing them. The NBA may someday in the distant future rise ahead of MLB but will never catch the NFL.

As far as HS programs dropping Football, yes it is happening, mostly at schools that are predominately white, which will mean the disparity of black versus white will continue to grow in the NFL. Since the majority of blacks going to the NFL are coming from lower-income households they will continue to over-ride the risks, which really are not as high as many are led to believe. If you consider all those that played Football and those who's long-term health was effected by it, the percentages are still very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies