Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can a sitting president be indicted?
Yes 84 63.64%
No 48 36.36%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
"can"? You'd better pray to the God in Who you don't believe that you never find out. Because I can assure you that despite what daydreams you may entertain in your drug-addled tissue that laughingly passes for your "brain", you will NOT like the way it turns out.
Damn, man. Lighten up.

You’re scaring the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
"can"? You'd better pray to the God in Who you don't believe that you never find out. Because I can assure you that despite what daydreams you may entertain in your drug-addled tissue that laughingly passes for your "brain", you will NOT like the way it turns out.
Is that a yes?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
There’s a debate as to whether a sitting president can be indicted for crimes. I’d say a sitting president can be indicted, otherwise the framers would have specifically stated that he can’t be, which they didn’t.

There is no evidence in either the text nor from the Constitutional Convention of any intent to create immunity for a president from indictment,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-as-president/
I am not sure...not a lawyer

but being a historian, I have never seen a POTUS be criminally indicted

there have only been two impeachments for "high crimes and misdemeanors" and while the House does indict (kinda like a grand jury), it is the Senate that convicts, and both of those impeachments (A. Johnson, and B. Clinton) were acquitted in the Senate

Quote:
At the federal level, Article I, Section 2, Clause 5 of the Constitution grants to the House of Representatives "the sole power of impeachment", and Article I, Section 3, Clause 6 grants to the Senate "the sole Power to try all Impeachments".

now the question of could a POTUS be convicted and go to jail...that is the real question

Old 08-21-2018, 10:33 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,933 times
No public official is above the law. We should all agree on that.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 PM

937 posts, read 927,879 times
We don't know yet and that's a Supreme Court thing.

I was listening to a podcast pertaining to this matter and it seems the brett kavanaugh's privy to the idea that a sitting President should not be indicted. Kavanaugh's history goes back to the Bush days and 9-11 and that drove some of his decision making at the time.

It's probably part of the reason why Trump chose him.

But we won't know until it happens.

The poll question isn't really a good question because it states the options as fact instead of opinion...

Old 08-21-2018, 10:40 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
If a sitting POTUS can be indicted, can a standing POTUS be indicted?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Yes. I know this because many very smart Rs told me so more than 20 years ago. They wouldn't be mistaken, now would they?

(Snark aside, here's an interesting article on the subject - https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ctment/560957/)

Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 PM

30,378 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
There’s a debate as to whether a sitting president can be indicted for crimes. I’d say a sitting president can be indicted, otherwise the framers would have specifically stated that he can’t be, which they didn’t.

There is no evidence in either the text nor from the Constitutional Convention of any intent to create immunity for a president from indictment,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-as-president/
Everyone voting yes is wrong. The only remedy is impeachment by Congress, otherwise, no indicting a sitting US President. Otherwise, you would always have a Sheriff of a hamlet opposing the party of the President arresting him for made up crimes (such as Russian collusion in the current case)

Old 08-21-2018, 11:14 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Can a sitting president be indicted?

As I recall, higher-up lawmakers can't be indicted or prosecuted for what they do in office. They can be impeached, tried, and removed from office (or lose an election such as a recall). Only then can they be indicted and charged.

Sorry to disappoint you slavering lefties. It ain't gonna happen. Normal people (that's the large majority of the American populace) have NO desire to see Trump impeached and removed. He's doing too good a job of blocking and frustrating Democrat officeholders, and upholding the Constitution for a change. That's what they voted him into the Presidency for.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Everyone voting yes is wrong. The only remedy is impeachment by Congress, otherwise, no indicting a sitting US President. Otherwise, you would always have a Sheriff of a hamlet opposing the party of the President arresting him for made up crimes (such as Russian collusion in the current case)

I think you might be right about that. A sitting president can be an unindicted co-conspirator. A sitting president must be impeached first and indicted after leaving office unless being pardoned by his replacement. (I'm sure Pence will pardon Trump leaving him a lame duct president for two years.)

Russian collusion remains to be seen and I'm sure Mueller knows the answer. So does Cohen and he's singing like a canary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies