Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 09:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why won't a wall make a difference? Why do we have walls around our homes and businesses if they don't make a difference? Why are mostly the Democrats fighting the wall tooth and nail if they don't think it will make a difference because they want the flow of illegals to continue. I have posted several links in here denoting how the good walls do work. Did you miss them or simply ignore the truth about them?

We know why most illegal aliens come here and it's for economic gain. So knowing that how does it solve the problem? I want the problem solved and until we crack down on the employers, remove birthright citizenship for their kids and build that wall to deter them from coming here the reasons why they come here doesn't mean a damned thing nor does it solve anything. It's up to Mexico to provide economic opportunities for their citizens, not us! You've offered no solutions at all!
The benefits of the wall are not sufficient to warrant the kind of capital and future operating expense.

I do believe that we have to start with existing laws.

E-verify should be mandatory. If it is a failing system -- FIX IT. It needs to be in place with or without the wall. Once the USA stands firm that workers must have status to get a job -- we start to slow the trickling in.

Be firm in the refugee and asylum policy. It may be we declare a moratorium or decrease the limits for a time period . It may be we need to improve the tracking of these individuals, the scrutiny. I don't have a problem with enforcing the laws in that regard.

Third -- increase border patrols for now. When we screw up and create a disaster as we did with the kids being isolated from their family, fix it. It's not that complicated.

Fourth, deal with all the people that have been allowed to stay here illegally. Under republican and Democratic administrations, folks that have been identified as illegal residents have been put in the system -- not for status but maybe someday perhaps. They are asked to check in with ICE periodically and not deported. ALL those people have to be dealt with. I agree - -they should have been processed years ago. Put the money in clearing up this mess.

Fifth -- and not the least important -- I have no problem with deporting criminals immediately. i do think ICE has to be forthcoming and make sure they are working with information that is factual....That man that is suppose to be some mean old killer (the one driving his wife to the hospital) is still being held in the USA and only for his illegal status. There is no official status by ICE that he is wanted for criminal charges back in Mexico. They are still not clear if there is and what they are. No doubt there is some confusion.. Expand that budget to make sure ICE is not strained and is following procedures and laws that are in place.

All of those systems have to be improved with or without a wall anyways. So let's start there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 10:36 AM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why won't a wall make a difference? Why do we have walls around our homes and businesses if they don't make a difference? Why are mostly the Democrats fighting the wall tooth and nail if they don't think it will make a difference because they want the flow of illegals to continue. I have posted several links in here denoting how the good walls do work. Did you miss them or simply ignore the truth about them?

We know why most illegal aliens come here and it's for economic gain. So knowing that how does it solve the problem? I want the problem solved and until we crack down on the employers, remove birthright citizenship for their kids and build that wall to deter them from coming here the reasons why they come here doesn't mean a damned thing nor does it solve anything. It's up to Mexico to provide economic opportunities for their citizens, not us! You've offered no solutions at all!

You DON'T know why people have to move to another country illegally. The sentence I highlighted is simply illogical. You can't solve a problem unless you know its cause. And the solution is there, you just can't see it.

Politicians in any country respond to the demands of big business, NOT THE POPULATION. Although they have to appear otherwise.
Your point of view is that you are O.K. when American policies and international business destroy the livelihood of people in other countries, but when the result of displacement of millions of people is affecting you, THEN you want to put stop the the CONSEQUENCE. This is not an excuse to blame the U.S., it's just what happens, western countries give billions of dollars in subsidies to industries, crops are dumped in poor countries and people lose their jobs and only means of livelihood they have known. This is just ONE example, the truth is that ALL main industries are subsidized and poor countries are suppose to "compete".

Again, it is unfair economic policies that make people move to other countries. Violence (war on drugs is the main example) add to this, and of course corrupt politicians.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:45 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I've posted that sentiment previously. Neither party wants to do anything about:

• illegal immigrants
  • opioid addiction
  • illegal drugs and guns in impoverished neighborhoods
  • poverty
  • child sex trafficking
  • criminal collusion between the FDA and Big Pharma

or anything else they profit from or works to their benefit.

If people would stop thinking in terms of Dems vs Republicans and start seeing that it's Government vs we the little people they don't represent, we all might have enough power to actually do something about these elitists.
Well said!
Not to mention the big business profit from building a wall. People dont realize that the wall wont do anything except line the pockets of the politicians and developers that make it happen. But they fool the people into believing that it will work, because the people want it to work so badly. You can easily see in this thread who is just looking to eliminate brown people, and who can see how the politicians/corporations are profiting from illegal immigration.

At least we finally have a thread that has both parties talking about the real issue. Hopefully we can keep that going.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:01 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
You DON'T know why people have to move to another country illegally. The sentence I highlighted is simply illogical. You can't solve a problem unless you know its cause. And the solution is there, you just can't see it.

Politicians in any country respond to the demands of big business, NOT THE POPULATION. Although they have to appear otherwise.
Your point of view is that you are O.K. when American policies and international business destroy the livelihood of people in other countries, but when the result of displacement of millions of people is affecting you, THEN you want to put stop the the CONSEQUENCE. This is not an excuse to blame the U.S., it's just what happens, western countries give billions of dollars in subsidies to industries, crops are dumped in poor countries and people lose their jobs and only means of livelihood they have known. This is just ONE example, the truth is that ALL main industries are subsidized and poor countries are suppose to "compete".

Again, it is unfair economic policies that make people move to other countries. Violence (war on drugs is the main example) add to this, and of course corrupt politicians.

WTH are you repeating yourself for when I already said illegal aliens come here for economic gain? It's not our problem though that their countries don't provide them with opportunities nor is it our obligation to commit national suicide to accommodate them. It's our duty to take care of our own citizens and I have offered suggestions on how to deter illegal aliens from coming here but all you keep yammering about is the reason they come here with no solutions to stop them.

Oh, stop with this BS that our country is to blame for their problems! It's their own country's fault, not ours! You have no truth at all. If we're the big bad guys in all of this then why do their countries deal with us? The elite in their governments like the profits they make off of their citizens migrating to the U.S. and sending remittances back to them and that's the bottom line. It's more beneficial to them than to create jobs for their own poor citizens. Most illegals aren't coming here because of violence or the drug cartels in their countries either.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-26-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Well said!
Not to mention the big business profit from building a wall. People dont realize that the wall wont do anything except line the pockets of the politicians and developers that make it happen. But they fool the people into believing that it will work, because the people want it to work so badly. You can easily see in this thread who is just looking to eliminate brown people, and who can see how the politicians/corporations are profiting from illegal immigration.

At least we finally have a thread that has both parties talking about the real issue. Hopefully we can keep that going.

Oh for crying out loud! How many times do I have to post the links proving that the good walls do work before you and yours stop repeating this nonsense? Of course some company will make a profit off of building a wall. Since when do companies take jobs where there's no profit to be made? How would they stay in business that way? It would give many Americans jobs by building the wall also.

Let's face it, by your brown people remark you don't give a damn about the costs of the wall or the reasons it needs to be built you just want a continued flow of your so-called brown people into our country illegally. What does that say about you being a racist yourself? I couldn't care less about the color of skin any illegal alien has so stuff it!

There are people in congress who do care about border security, the pitfalls of illegal immigration and our right to enforce our immigration laws in the interior of our country including our president. We will continue to work with them to see that the necessary steps are taken to end illegal immigration as we know it. It's apparent you have a vested interest in illegal immigration by your brown people remarks. Shame on you, race baiter!

Old 08-26-2018, 02:21 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The benefits of the wall are not sufficient to warrant the kind of capital and future operating expense.

I do believe that we have to start with existing laws.

E-verify should be mandatory. If it is a failing system -- FIX IT. It needs to be in place with or without the wall. Once the USA stands firm that workers must have status to get a job -- we start to slow the trickling in.

Be firm in the refugee and asylum policy. It may be we declare a moratorium or decrease the limits for a time period . It may be we need to improve the tracking of these individuals, the scrutiny. I don't have a problem with enforcing the laws in that regard.

Third -- increase border patrols for now. When we screw up and create a disaster as we did with the kids being isolated from their family, fix it. It's not that complicated.

Fourth, deal with all the people that have been allowed to stay here illegally. Under republican and Democratic administrations, folks that have been identified as illegal residents have been put in the system -- not for status but maybe someday perhaps. They are asked to check in with ICE periodically and not deported. ALL those people have to be dealt with. I agree - -they should have been processed years ago. Put the money in clearing up this mess.

Fifth -- and not the least important -- I have no problem with deporting criminals immediately. i do think ICE has to be forthcoming and make sure they are working with information that is factual....That man that is suppose to be some mean old killer (the one driving his wife to the hospital) is still being held in the USA and only for his illegal status. There is no official status by ICE that he is wanted for criminal charges back in Mexico. They are still not clear if there is and what they are. No doubt there is some confusion.. Expand that budget to make sure ICE is not strained and is following procedures and laws that are in place.

All of those systems have to be improved with or without a wall anyways. So let's start there.

Re bolded-

https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

Federal data show a far-less imposing wall than the one Trump envisions — a two-story corrugated metal fence first erected under the Bush administration — already has dramatically curtailed both illegal border crossings and crime in Texas’ sixth-largest city, which borders the high-crime Mexican city of Juarez.
In fact, the number of deportable illegal immigrants located by the US Border Patrol plummeted by more than 89 percent over the five-year period during which the controversial new fence was built, according to Homeland Security data I reviewed. When the project first started in 2006, illegal crossings totaled 122,261, but by 2010, when the 131-mile fence was completed from one end of El Paso out into the New Mexico desert, immigrant crossings shrank to just 12,251.
They hit a low of 9,678 in 2012, before slowly ticking back up to a total of 25,193 last year. But they’re still well below pre-fence levels, and the Border Patrol credits the fortified barrier dividing El Paso from Mexico for the reduction in illegal flows.
And crime abated with the reduced human traffic from Juarez, considered one of the most dangerous places in the world due to drug-cartel violence, helping El Paso become one of the safest large cities in America.

IMO, building a wall is essential to national security: the level of border security depends on the administration in power at any given time however, a wall will not be torn down (or rebuilt) on a whim.

Illegal immigration has kept wages for legal citizens suppressed for a long time now. Anyone remember Bush allowing illegals to "help" rebuild New Orleans after Katrina? In actuality, American carpenters, plumbers, and electricians traveled to NO to begin the rebuilding of the city, and were told that either accept a wage equal to that of the illegals, or go home. Most left because they couldn't support themselves, or their families on $7.50/hour.

We live in Central Texas, and own a small collision, custom paint shop. Before we opened our own business, my husband worked for a collision shop in a nearby town, and had been there for years. One day his boss approached and told him he was letting my husband go, even though he had made the man a lot of money. It seems the cousin of a porter was coming in from Mexico and the owner was going to teach him to spray paint, and pay him $10/hour. He had no plans to teach the illegal all the prep work required to produce a good result, and made the comment that it didn't matter if the paint began peeling after a few months, he'd already have the $$$ in his hand.

We have several friends that have earned their citizenship legally, and it's something they are very proud of. They vehemently resent those crossing illegally and circumventing the law, yet expect to reap the benefits others have worked so hard to gain.

Most illegals have no intention of integrating into American society, and many game the system in order to receive food stamps, etc. And let's not forget the rampant identity theft they commit, which is a mess for the victim to straighten out.

I want the wall built and immigration laws enforced; there's nothing racist about it.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
^This!
We're in a very small club, I'm afraid, so I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Well said!

Harry, you're more optimistic than I. As long as people keep bickering about their differences instead of seeing how we're all being screwed, nothing is going to change on any front.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:46 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
How does a wall stop illegals when they're coming by plane through tourist visa, like Melania? Can you answer this question?

Not at a rate up to 40,000 a month.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:54 PM

I swear, I get a headache reading some of the idiotic remarks in here by the pro-illegals. Even though we have a significant number of visa over stayers we still also have a significant number of border jumpers. A wall isn't meant to stop the former but the latter, duh! Visa over stayers will just have to be addressed in a different way and they should be. Why would you only address one problem but not the other? Answer that question!

Old 08-26-2018, 02:55 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So this occurred to me on my morning walk. ;D

Neither the democrats nor republicans want to make illegal immigrants leave.

Democrats because of their sense of humanity, and because of the belief they will likely become a voting base.

Republicans because they provide cheap labor for their businesses, and for their home services. When something goes wrong (i.e., in the Mollie Tibbetts case, or in the complaints of the unemployed sector of the Republican Party who blame illegals for taking jobs and lowering market value of labor) they can always blame the democrats for the illegal population.

So while the Republicans are screaming build a wall, they really don't want to deport the employees they have, and it comes off as extremely hypocritical.

Interesting the links yesterday about the IRS, who have an actual POLICY of not telling citizens when their SSNs have been hijacked by illegal workers. So the IRS doesn't want them deported either, possibly because the ones they are aware of are paying income taxes to their agency.
That's pretty much correct, aren't you glad that we have an independent thinking president in there who DOES want to do something about a real and growing problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies