Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:41 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'd support polygraphs all around. I mean, they're not 100%, but they're something.
I would be more comfortable accepting this particular polygraph if I knew the questions.

Did you know Brett Kavanaugh before the party?

Did you meet him in person before the incident or did you just know of him?

When did you learn that .....

Did you tell the therapist the name Brett Kavanaugh?

Did you tell the therapist something about Brett Kavanaugh like that he played sports?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They said they didn't remember. AND they have refused to testify UNDER OATH and the Republicans refuse to call the one witness that was supposedly present.

I'll bet I can guess why?

Have you seen any of his writings about how drunk he and his buddy were throughout high school?

Quite enlightening
I don't care how much they drank. Apparently Dr. Ford and her classmates kept up with them pretty well.

Lots of teenagers and college age kids drink to excess. Some of them like Judge go on to become alcoholics; others become pillars of the community. Nothing really enlightening about Judge's book other than the apparent total lack of parental supervision in that community for both boys and girls.

I also don't care about some silly drinking game with sex toys. Play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

As far as the witnesses, its my understanding and been reported that they gave statements to investigators for the Senate that carry the penalty of lying to Congress. None of them support Dr. Fords allegations. If they don't remember what are they going to testify to? That they drank a lot? And so what?

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"How do you know he cannot somehow prove he's innocent"

Looks like someone else failed government class.

He does NOT have to prove his innocence.

His GUILT has to be PROVEN. You know like, "Innocent UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY".
Looks like someone else also failed government class.

"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies inside of a courtroom. And in this case the position is too sensitive for half measures. Thats because courts can take a persons freedom, and has this whole "better a guilty man go free then a innocent be imprisoned" thing going on.

I know this may sound crazy, but i the case of a lifetime appointment to the supreme court I'm more of the opinion of "better a innocent man not be appointed, then a guilty one be appointed"

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Appointing one conservative-leaning Supreme Court Justice was bad enough.

Appointing two in a row is too hard to bear for liberal Democrats.
As someone who mostly leans left, when I look at those judges I see conservative judges and then some even more conservative judges. I do not see a liberal in the bunch.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:43 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
I don't know, Three Wolves. I'm not her.

I think we all handle traumas in different ways.

Maybe someone did push her to come forward.. that wouldn't mean it wasn't true.

Maybe it's all a fabrication. But... I don't want to dismiss someone who may be telling the truth.

There are DOZENS of federal judges who are conservative. Why not pick one without all this baggage?

Gorsuch got confirmed without nonsense like this.
Excellent and fair points.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"How do you know he cannot somehow prove he's innocent"

Looks like someone else failed government class.

He does NOT have to prove his innocence.

His GUILT has to be PROVEN. You know like, "Innocent UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY".
If this was a criminal trial yeah--
But this is a job interview--
Really--a job interview for the Supreme Court--but just a job interview right now
No due process is part of a job interview...that's the law...

Susan Collins said that she thought the 2nd accuser--the one at Yale who says Kavanaugh exposed himself at a dorm party--should be heard under oath...
But w/o the FBI doing an investigation the GOP renders this all moot
The GOP has NO desire to have this investigated--
And they knew about the 2nd woman last week--
It was no surprise when the story in The Atlantic broke

Old 09-24-2018, 04:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
I don't know, Three Wolves. I'm not her.

I think we all handle traumas in different ways.

Maybe someone did push her to come forward.. that wouldn't mean it wasn't true.

Maybe it's all a fabrication. But... I don't want to dismiss someone who may be telling the truth.

There are DOZENS of federal judges who are conservative. Why not pick one without all this baggage?

Gorsuch got confirmed without nonsense like this.

Gorsuch went to Georgetown Prep and was not a party boy like Kavanaugh--
So there was not the same minefield to walk through for his confirmation

And yes-there are dozens of Federal judges who are conservatives
One of them was forced off the bench at the end of 2017 because of HIS history of sexual harassment against his female law clerks and other staff...
He was good friend of Brett Kavanaugh...
He was a judge that Amy Chua referred female Yale law clerks to work for...

Judges are men
And some men are not very respectful of women--full stop...
They are not a sexless angel because they wear a judicial robe and adjudicate the law
Sometimes they think their power transfers into raising them above the law they are supposed to serve...

Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Leftist Gulag mentality. GUILTY!!!

Old 09-24-2018, 04:49 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
An enormous amount of this confirmation discussion hinges on whether or not it molested someone.

Or more than one person.

And a lot of people are just ignoring this woman without any sort of hearing. I'm sorry if you have a reality problem, but I would like this to be fair.

I am okay with them confirming someone whose stances I dislike. I'm not okay with them confirming a man who molested people.

Why's that so hard to understand?

I'm not part of either of these stupid political parties.

I'm a concerned citizen.

Period.

What about this do you want to discuss, how fast it can be pushed through and how quickly any allegations can be ignored?

"And a lot of people are just ignoring this woman without any sort of hearing."

And MOST DEMS and the LSM had him convicted when they first talked about her letter from ford, even though even the Judicial Committee has NOT SEEN IT.

The dems on the Judicial Committee came out and said not a SINGLE one of them would vote for him when he was first nominated by Trump.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They were KIDS for God’s sake. And where in the F has she been with this baloney for the last 36 years. You’re a MORON if you give this any credence.
Says the guy who thinks being a teenager makes sexual assault okay. Really, dude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies