Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,622,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
You certainly don’t represent the feelings of many strong, independent women who do not spend all their time crying and whining like you and the #metoo nags.

Sorry toots, but every time a guy looks at your boobs you are not being sexually assaulted. Get over yourselves.
Just relax and enjoy it amirite?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:18 PM

37,350 posts, read 60,110,858 times
Interesting that this is really only a job interview---
Kavanaugh nor any other person has a "RIGHT" in this country to due process--
Just the law...
This is not in court---there are no criminal charges--

The woman doing the interview with Kavanaugh and his wife was the same Fox employee who came out to defend Roger Ailes when Gretchen Karlson made her accusations--
So we know how that ended up

The idea that someone who had to leave Fox network because of how he aided and abetted the sheltering of Fox male stars and executives from claims of sexual harassment and assault is also the one heading this Kavanaugh progression through the hearings...
Bill Shine was Co President at Fox News for 6 mo before he was forced out because of his ties to Ailes and others...
The idea that Fox was the station Kavanaugh did the interview in and of itself is so fraught with underlying symbolism that you just have to take a step back and wonder if they understand how they are drawing the line in the sand for this confrontation between the GOP and frankly women in general and men who support women...
That seems too broad and all encompassing but that seems to be where the GOP is going...
Read this article at Vox--

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/24/178944...e-donald-trump

Yes I know that is a liberal platform but frankly the point it makes is that supporting women has become a liberal issue...
(Which Michael Avenatti seems to have gotten to faster than others in some ways)...

When the GOP has become the party that advocated for a nominee who bragged about grabbing women's nether parts w/impunity, who has a trail of sexual harassment claims and who has paid women like Playboy Bunnies to be quiet about their relationships, you don't have far to go to lose credibility as upholding women's rights...
The evangelicals don't do that because they want to repress women's control over their bodies and reproductive rights...
And they aren't really doing that to put women on a pedestal either...although that is their pitch...

The GOP has just dug itself a very large hole--and I don't think Kavanaugh is tall for the GOP to climb out standing on his shoulders...

Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,391,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well, I've made my opinion clear that I think people should tell, the sooner the better so that evidence can be gathered. It doesn't do anyone good to come out 35 years after the fact. It's harder to prove anything that late, especially when you can't give even the smallest of information.

However, I do understand your last line. The POS in question that I talked about before did what he did to my sister, and he also physically abused me. (There's a whole lot of paper trails for that one should anyone not believe it. It's been proven. He went to jail for it.) And after he did what he did, the stupid little crap town in California made him a Reservist Cop.

When I found that out, years later, (I was adopted after what he did so didn't know at the time), I was pi$$ed. So, I'm with you on that. BUT, while that town in CA failed hard, the reality is that if nothing is said at the time, or very, very shortly after, it's almost impossible to prove anything, especially when the person who is accusing offers no information, and everyone she claimed as witnesses don't back her story.

If someone makes an allegation, there has to be something for someone to go on other than, "I remember..."
I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

This is why I think it's important to investigate allegations like the ones made against Kavanaugh.

59,521 posts, read 27,660,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How do you know he cannot somehow prove he's innocent and/or her story will be proven false by the panel doing the investigation?

You don't know any more than I do.

And, if he was exonerated by Congress, I'd be fine with it. I doubt I'd ever like him, but not because of this story, I already didn't like him as a SCOTUS pick.

But, I wasn't super fond of Gorsuch, and I am okay with him being there. Just not personally a fan.

I don't deal in the kind of absolutes one needs to deal in to be a "party" type of person.

I can dislike someone's politics and their stances on various issues and not think them problematic on a personal level.

Like... I don't care for Trump's politics OR him as a person, though I find his politics FAR more tolerable than I find him as a person.

Strictly his political positions alone, offered by another person (male, female, irrespective of party) would not be terribly bothersome to me save for his white nationalist leanings.

No... I mostly think the man himself is godawful.

"How do you know he cannot somehow prove he's innocent"

Looks like someone else failed government class.

He does NOT have to prove his innocence.

His GUILT has to be PROVEN. You know like, "Innocent UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY".

19,573 posts, read 8,564,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
We heard you the first time.
If they keep doing it, you are going to hear me again.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Looks like some poster have gone off the rails from the topic of the thread, which is supposed to be Judge Kavanaugh's confirmation process.

If some posters need personal therapy for past issues, by all means you should go get that. But you don't gave to hijack this thread for that purpose.
Choosing to tear down women who accuse people of sexual assault is a big part of the story around this confirmation.

You being rude won't change that.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The vote for Kavanaugh's confirmation will happen "in the near future", promises Mitch Mcconnell today. There will be no withdrawal of Kavanaugh's name. there will be no more delay tactics by the democrats allowed.

good for mcconnell.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell just addressed the Kavanaugh nomination on the floor of the Senate. He concluded his statement with the announcement that the nomination will come to the floor of the Senate for a vote soon after the hearing announced for this Thursday (left unstated: with or without the recommendation of the Judiciary Committee).

https://youtu.be/QoplfrVLBJo
Which part is good... the part where he's ignoring serious accusations?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
I don’t care who did what first, if you care about bettering the United States and regardless of political affiliation, there is NO gain in these delay, deceive, and character assassination strategies. If you didn’t start this trend, then be the Bigger political party is the one that stops it in its tracks. The American voters will be the judge. The Democrats do not look good in delaying the confirmation by slowing at every possible thing.

If I am sitting in the House or Senate, regardless of my party and voter base, if a qualified competent judge with a history of reasonable court rulings per the peer review of the legal community succeeds, I will approve the appointment because if I don’t, I won’t set a precedent for the same fair process when a future president makes the next appointment.

Not to mention: A judge isn’t even supposed to be a partisan figure and so a better approach is not to stop any judge conservative or liberal but to have that judge vow to uphold the legal interpretations that are fair and impartial to being predicted by a D or an R on every decision.
Sooo... if you're told this person may have done something terrible in the past, you're still just ignoring it?

Oy.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Many victims in the past were not believed when they went to the authorities. We've got a long way to go before victims of sexual assault are comfortable doing that. BTW, I don't have any pet bad white guys.
Me either... I love white guys! I'm married to one... I have sons!

I just don't like people who do bad things to other people. Their gender and genetics are irrelevant.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He absolutely does. Let's get on with it. Through investigation, including witnesses and evidence. Lie detector tests all 'round. That would be a start.
I'd support polygraphs all around. I mean, they're not 100%, but they're something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies