Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 05:10 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Did we decide yet how many or how much makes one a Super Gun Owner? I am a super person who owns a few. Maybe I want to be even more SUPER. Lemme know how many I need to get there.
I want to make that a meme. Super Gun owner.
Kinda like. FHRC Super Predator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I have more guns than Leno has cars.
That is allot of guns, Leno has over 500 car's, what a collection you must have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Absolutely. The left's anti gun agenda created at least 5 new firearms owners in my circle of friends. Not to mention, also sold at least 15 more AR's amongst my friends. Ones that were already owners but didn't have an AR, but at the thought they might be restricted purchased one.

My sister was the Exact same way, Sandra never had any objection to shooting, but as soon as people started to tell her that she could not own a gun; that is exactly when she wanted to buy a gun. Or buy what others were saying Sandra could not have; just because someone told Sandra that she could not have it was the very reason she would want one.

And as to the original poster's question, I have more than 1 gun, but less than 1000. No point in having a gun, unless you have ammo to shoot it.

I have several that are chambered in the same caliber in this case .45 ACP.

I have not bought a new gun in several years, but had to sell several off . I needed money and had to pay some unexpected bill's. But that is life.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:28 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,119,604 times

Old 08-29-2018, 07:20 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Awesome!

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
One rifle or pistol per family member, excluding heirlooms or collector weapons. And 2000 rounds per weapon.
Thats not allot, that is one fun day at the range per weapon. Especially a 22LR.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Carpenters and roofers make use of many different types of hammers, and having done treework, I can definitely say that having more than chainsaw matters to some people.

Who are you to declare what someone does or does not need?
Chainsaws need to be regulated. I know three people that have been killed by chainsaw operation and several others to were severely hurt operating chainsaws.

I don't know anybody that was killed or shot by a gun.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:31 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
One rifle or pistol per family member, excluding heirlooms or collector weapons. And 2000 rounds per weapon.
Thats not allot, that is one fun day at the range per weapon. Especially a 22LR.
Pardon me but I hunt- a lot. Geese and ducks I have a 12ga. Grouse and pheasant a 20 and 28ga. For elk a 7mm Rem Mag, for deer/antelope/vermin a .257 Roberts. In grizzly country I either have my .44 magnum or .45-70 lever action. For plinking some old .22 bolt actions. I conceal carry- around town a Glock. For walks behind my house in the hills (Mountain lion country) a .357 Mag.

I have my father in laws .45 Colt, which was carried in WW2, and his father carried in in WWI.

Firearms are tools. You choose the right one for the job (or quarry) you will encounter.

One size does not ‘fit all’.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
That is allot of guns, Leno has over 500 car's, what a collection you must have.

My sister was the Exact same way, Sandra never had any objection to shooting, but as soon as people started to tell her that she could not own a gun; that is exactly when she wanted to buy a gun. Or buy what others were saying Sandra could not have; just because someone told Sandra that she could not have it was the very reason she would want one.

And as to the original poster's question, I have more than 1 gun, but less than 1000. No point in having a gun, unless you have ammo to shoot it.

I have several that are chambered in the same caliber in this case .45 ACP.

I have not bought a new gun in several years, but had to sell several off . I needed money and had to pay some unexpected bill's. But that is life.
Well not quite, according to Wikipedia Leno has 286 vehicles, 169 automobiles and 117 motorcycles. I don't know how recent that article was? As a car guy myself I've often heard that the number is 181 cars and 160 motorcycles to date. According to the LA Times he owns 130 cars and 93 motorcycles. Whatever, that's still a lot of vehicles. I would imagine that those figures fluctuate if he buys and sells some of his collection. Which begs the question: How many cars/motorcycles are too many for 1 person to own? Given the fact that thousands of people are killed or maimed in motor vehicle accidents annually. My answer to that is as many as you can afford and choose to own as long as you drive safely and operate them in a lawful manner.

Having a drivers license is no guarantee that you are or will be a safe driver either. The road test is a piece of cake that damn near anyone can pass. Proof of mental stability isn't a requirement to obtain a drivers license. Any madman can get behind the wheel drive into a crowd and mow down as many people as possible. Neither is there a background check required to purchase a vehicle or the gasoline used to run it. Gasoline which by the way was used to kill 87 people in the Happyland Fire at a Bronx social club in March of 1990. After all if it will save just one life. I've heard that ad nauseam along with gun ownership being compared to the licensing and registration of vehicles. However you do not have to register a vehicle to own one, you just can't use it legally on a public highway or thoroughfare. Besides there is no specific Constitutional right to own a vehicle although property rights may apply.

Indeed once there is a threat of something being banned or the possibility of not being able to purchase it in the future people will rush out to buy them. Which means that the value of the guns can only go up due to supply and demand. So I guess that's good for our side as there will be even more people willing to defend their right to own them as they now have something of value that they are not willing to give up.

One thing good about collecting guns is that you do not need an airport hanger to house all of them, just a good quality safe to store them in. Not only that they do not require a lot of maintenance, just a good thorough cleaning after using them and an occasional cleaning if they are carried often. They're a hell of a lot easier to work on too, if you're mechanically inclined and not intimidated by all of those little moving parts, along with springs and pins that like to go flying all over the place if you're not careful. It's a hell of a lot easier than pulling engines and transmissions along with suspension and body work, I can tell you that.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Why?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:27 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
The question of how many guns one person should have is unanswerable. The number varies as much as humans do. We all know at least one person who, for one reason or another, makes us think I really hope they don't own a gun.
Maybe it's the weird guy who hangs out at the corner store all the time, or the idiot neighbor who has every power tool known to man but lacks the common sense to actually use them. Maybe it's your Aunt Millie who hasn't been quite right since her husband died. Someone that you know falls under the "shouldn't have a gun" category in your mind, even if you're a dyed in the wool gun owner who cut his baby teeth on spent shotgun shells - which I pretty much am.

On the flip side, we all know people who have multiple firearms and we don't even blink over it. I grew up around an uncle who had a gun cabinet in every single room of his house. He owned some of the most obscure firearms I've ever heard of, along with rifles and pistols that I'd only read about in Louis L'Amour and Max Brand novels. Nobody ever considered him odd for his collection, or even cared about it much. He was also the best shot in a family who thought buying meat at the grocery store was a foreign concept. I have friends today who have that same enthusiasm for firearms (along with the available funds to indulge in it) and there's no valid reason to believe they should be limited to a set number.

The point is, the number any person should have depends on the person. For some the answer is none, for some it might be three, for still others it might be "who cares?"

As for how many firearms a person should be limited to by law, public opinion, or forceful infringement, the answer is "You are not allowed to infringe upon my right to keep and bear arms. One, the Bill of Rights forbids you and two, I won't let you take my natural rights from me when I have broken no laws."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies