Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 11:01 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Colorado has a total ban on smoking in bars and restaurants and I love it. If any state tried to make smoking illegal, I'd be right there with the smokers to fight it. But banning it in public places isn't the same thing.
Bars & resturants ARE NOT public places. Their private buisneses open to the public. You do not need to go there & to be quite honest if people actually cared about the smoke then capitalism would see to it that smoke free bars & resturants were here. People buy, own & run these buisnesses for a profit. If there was money to be made in a smoke free place no law would be needed. But, since its easier to ***** & moan than to make a decision yourself people lobbied until their right to complain outweighed the buisness owners property rights & now he gets to suffer.

What gives anyone the right to tell a person how to conduct their privately owned buisnes if it doesn't effect those that dont choose to use it? Nothing.
Its no different than banning smoking in private homes & just as wrong, immoral & oppressive.

Now true public buildings are different, city halls, post offices things of that nature that a person has to visit & are truly public buildings I'm fine with.

Quote:
The arguments against smoking bans just seem incredibly silly. I've lived in CO and CA where bans are in place and guess what? Bars and restaurants are still in business, people still smoke, and the earth still turns. Smoke in restaurants and bars stinks! If it didn't, then I wouldn't care. But it does.
Thats a rediculous statement. If you dont like how a bar smells dont go there. If I owned one I'd use tobacco scented air freshners in the hopes that people like you stayed away. One would think that if you were actually in the majority smoke free places would have popped up all over 50 years ago. They didn't because your not & we used to respect property rights. Its ok tho. Cuz now you can go out & drink in a smoke free place right? Like drinking dont kill more non drinkers than smoking does non smokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've pointed out the OVERUSE of colognes, perfumes, aftershaves, etc.
It is only your opinion there is a so-called "overuse". Consumers want the fragrances. We like to smell nice. Can't be helped if you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Where's the scent-free zone?
At your local hospital.

Have a Great Day

Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Bars & resturants ARE NOT public places. Their private buisneses open to the public. You do not need to go there & to be quite honest if people actually cared about the smoke then capitalism would see to it that smoke free bars & resturants were here. People buy, own & run these buisnesses for a profit. If there was money to be made in a smoke free place no law would be needed. But, since its easier to ***** & moan than to make a decision yourself people lobbied until their right to complain outweighed the buisness owners property rights & now he gets to suffer.
These businesses that profit from dealing with the public are subject to all kinds of regulations. They're regulated for fire codes. They're regulated for sanitation codes. They're regualted for safety codes. Now, secondhand smoke is recognized as a public health hazard and that's being regulated, also.

As was pointed out earlier by another poster, if businesses feel too restricted by the smoking ban, they have the option to close off their public access and become private clubs for smokers only.

Quote:
What gives anyone the right to tell a person how to conduct their privately owned buisnes if it doesn't effect those that dont choose to use it? Nothing.
Its no different than banning smoking in private homes & just as wrong, immoral & oppressive.
Revisit the concept of public health. You didn't get it the first time.

Quote:
Now true public buildings are different, city halls, post offices things of that nature that a person has to visit & are truly public buildings I'm fine with.

Thats a rediculous statement. If you dont like how a bar smells dont go there. If I owned one I'd use tobacco scented air freshners in the hopes that people like you stayed away. One would think that if you were actually in the majority smoke free places would have popped up all over 50 years ago. They didn't because your not & we used to respect property rights. Its ok tho. Cuz now you can go out & drink in a smoke free place right? Like drinking dont kill more non drinkers than smoking does non smokers.
Go ahead and open your tobacco scented bar, then. But don't forget to comply with the no-smoking law.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Nothing else going on in a bar attaches itself to my clothes, skin, and hair, requiring a shower as soon as I get home.

Smoking bans are here to stay.
Take some chemistry, maybe a bit of that education might show you how silly that statement is. Education, it does wonders.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Smoking bans cannot be justified

It took some time, but it now looks like we can safely conclude that smoking bans can indeed be justified.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
It took some time, but it now looks like we can safely conclude that smoking bans can indeed be justified.
If thats the case then we have also concluded that the educational system is indeed failing.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

Huh? Yes, they are public places. So you'd advocate smoking in grocery stores? Clothing stores? You open to the public, then you're a public place.

Doesn't matter though. People on your side are just grasping at straws. State after state will enact smoking bans on restaurants and bars and you'll live.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:19 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Take some chemistry, maybe a bit of that education might show you how silly that statement is. Education, it does wonders.

What's that supposed to mean? I've never left a bar smelling like anything other than smoke. What else smells so strong that I would need a shower after leaving a bar?

Sorry, but I'm college educated. I'm intelligent enough to know that being packed in a room with people smoking is unhealthy and causes me to stink.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
What's that supposed to mean? I've never left a bar smelling like anything other than smoke. What else smells so strong that I would need a shower after leaving a bar?

Sorry, but I'm college educated. I'm intelligent enough to know that being packed in a room with people smoking is unhealthy and causes me to stink.
It means, that you are complaining about toxins attaching to your clothes and fail to see that this happens all the time even when you are not around ETS. Toxins are all around you. Harmful things are attached to you and your clothes all day long.

Ever see a topic on TV bring up something like "We did an analysis of this item and found all kinds of harmful toxins on it".

The point is, you walk through them all day long. The issue is not that there are toxins, but that the environment is saturated to a level where the body can not filter it. Where it actually becomes "unsafe".

Edit:

Since you are being honest here, the main issue with a lot of us here is that while we all agree "smoke" can be harmful, the point is how much is within its environment. This is why people keep bringing up "food smokers" in restaurants and barbeque's. Go back through the posts here and look for one I posted that gives a breakdown of the chemicals in ETS. Those chemicals are all common in most types of smoke, yet only ETS is considered the harmful one. Why is that? Why is it picked out and the others are not? The science of the issue is at complete odds with those claiming it is a hazard. That is what these people pushing for ETS bans are ignoring. They honestly won't even deal with the information, even when it is the exact sources they claim gives them validity in their claims.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It means, that you are complaining about toxins attaching to your clothes and fail to see that this happens all the time even when you are not around ETS. Toxins are all around you. Harmful things are attached to you and your clothes all day long.

Ever see a topic on TV bring up something like "We did an analysis of this item and found all kinds of harmful toxins on it".

The point is, you walk through them all day long. The issue is not that there are toxins, but that the environment is saturated to a level where the body can not filter it. Where it actually becomes "unsafe".

Edit:

Since you are being honest here, the main issue with a lot of us here is that while we all agree "smoke" can be harmful, the point is how much is within its environment. This is why people keep bringing up "food smokers" in restaurants and barbeque's. Go back through the posts here and look for one I posted that gives a breakdown of the chemicals in ETS. Those chemicals are all common in most types of smoke, yet only ETS is considered the harmful one. Why is that? Why is it picked out and the others are not? The science of the issue is at complete odds with those claiming it is a hazard. That is what these people pushing for ETS bans are ignoring. They honestly won't even deal with the information, even when it is the exact sources they claim gives them validity in their claims.

BBQ restaurants don't blow the smoke from their pits into the faces of their customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies