Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
They are doing jobs that of course could be done by Americans, making furniture, selling cattle, take hotel reservations at corporate call centers etc. They work for private companies and the wages they earn are often lower than in Bangladesh.
Still doesn't prove they're taking jobs from American citizens. They could be taking jobs from illegal aliens and Bangladesh for all we know.

Look, I'm not really for prison workers taking jobs from Americans especially for private profit, but the real problem is legal and illegal immigrants taking jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:15 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
Quote:
Yes, it costs a lot of money to incarcerate millions of people, but since its the tax payer that foot the bill, private corporations have every incentive to lobby for more crime and incarceration. And the working class of America has to compete against people making $10 cents an hour with no benefits. Thats far lower than what workers in Mexico get with no unions. So we have a sweatshop system in America used as a weapon against the working class. How can the working class compete?

You are still missing the biggest portion of this, it is a prison. As it stand right now, I work for a Big Bank, out of my salary I have pay my mortgage, food, power bill, car payment & car insurance, my credit card and the cable bill. I also cover my medical insurance & dental/vision insurance, and manage to save for the future through my 401K program.

All of the living expenses that I have to cover for me, are covered by the group running the prison for the prisoners, weather that is a private company or by the taxpayers. So again if a private company or the taxpayers can benefit from a cheep work force; then I am OK with that.

Last edited by rigby06; 09-03-2018 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 11:35 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
No benefits? Last I checked when they are sick or hurt they get medical care. That's more than what some Americans get. And they don't break the law.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:27 AM

271 posts, read 139,952 times
Quote:
We currently have a huge prison labor workforce earning between 0 and 20 cents an hour with no benefits. They cant go on strike or they'll be sent to solitary confinement for months.

This massive workforce is expanding rapidly with the rise of for-profit prisons that donate to political candidates that give them more customers/prisoners.

Should the working class demand an end to this system and not support politicians that are funded by this industry?
I loathe the private prison industry --- and I'm Trump supporter. The Bush family are huge investors in the private prison industry.

If Trump attacks the Syrians after they try and rid Idlib of ISIS, I'll withdraw my support and vote against him in the mid-terms.

Syria is my last straw with Trump

Old 09-04-2018, 03:05 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
But how can the working class compete against this "Bangladesh within America" of 10 cents an hour, no benefits and months of solitary confinement for workers if they go on strike?

This huge prison labor workforce is a direct threat to the working class of America.
That is why I like them picking up trash, as no one is doing that. Its not a job now.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:29 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
We currently have a huge prison labor workforce earning between 0 and 20 cents an hour with no benefits. They cant go on strike or they'll be sent to solitary confinement for months.

This massive workforce is expanding rapidly with the rise of for-profit prisons that donate to political candidates that give them more customers/prisoners.

Should the working class demand an end to this system and not support politicians that are funded by this industry?
They are convicts removed from society because of their uncivilized actions. I say they work to feed themselves. Otherwise they can starve.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:41 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Those jobs wouldn't pay anymore than middle class workers are earning now if they were available outside the prison walls. Being I see Help Wanted signs in almost every business around me - we have more than enough jobs with opportunities to grow for the middle class and they really aren't taking anything away from anyone. What would you like them to do in prison - sit around and watch TV?

I vote as someone upthread wrote - chain gangs - get them out picking up garbage again - I only see this when we travel down south - up here in NY - they have all the conveniences of home - a better gym than the guards - cable TV - the right to sue if they don't like the flavor of the jello - sorry for being convicted of a crime - besides not being allowed in society - they live a pretty good life.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That is why I like them picking up trash, as no one is doing that. Its not a job now.
Picking up trash is perfect. No one is doing it now and it needs to be done. People out in the sunshine getting some exercise.

Rehabilitating abandoned dogs is another good use of time.

But the idea that prisoners are working to cover the cost of their room and board is ridiculous.

Taxpayers are still paying the prisons to house prisoners whether the prisoners are earning additional money for the wardens or not.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:17 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Some information:

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/produ...e-electronics#

Old 09-04-2018, 05:18 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Just use them for certain classes of projects for the state and not allow general labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies