Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's her thought process, as I understand it.
She's exhausted. It's 10 pm. She's worked a stressful 14 hour shift serving warrants to felons in their homes.
She's having trouble making her apartment key work, so she puts down the stuff she's carrying and makes a better attempt to open the door with her key.
Suddenly, the door opens, and there is a large young man nearly naked standing there. She believes he's an intruder to her home, and shoots him.
This is really beyond sad.
In the first place, I didn't read this stuff about her key not working and the door suddenly opening. The affidavit claims that she inserted her key and the door was ajar and opened under the pressure of pushing the key into the lock. She's a Police Officer, once she realized her apartment door was not fully closed she should have immediately retreated to a safe place and called for backup. There is no way to clean this up. And you don't just shoot someone just because they are in your apartment. What if it had been a maintenance man who had to enter her apartment to fix some emergency reported by her neighbors like a gas leak?

Please don't be an apologist for this woman, she killed an innocent man. She was either a complete idiot or there is more to this story than we know but don't try to make her sound like a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
This is sad. So many people cluttering up our jails over weed or theft when these people who actually caused death because of negligence are the ones who need to be in longer...
So you want the people in those stories to serve 30-40 years in jail or more?

I have to say that it seems that at least part of your anger here is because it's a cop which is moot with regards to how the law treats manslaughter etc. sentencing.

Interestingly, there is often a VERY wide range of sentencing over manslaughter charges which speaks to the highly variable and sometimes grey area around these incidents.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Unlikely. She beats it on reasonable doubt 9 times out of 10.
The only real way to convict her is gross negligence. And being wrong is not that.
Wrong. Texas views manslaughter as a crime in which a person recklessly causes death of another. It is reckless to enter an apartment, even if you think it's yours, when the door is already partly open and start shooting without even announcing your presence.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
There is zero excuse for what she did. I hope she ends up being convicted of murder, which is what she committed.

I once got into the wrong car by mistake. It was parked next to my car and neither car was unlocked, so I just hopped in. There was a bag of cleaning supplies on the passenger seat and I sat for about half a second before realizing what had happened so I jumped out. Which is what a normal person would do if they somehow managed to enter the wrong apartment.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
There is zero excuse for what she did. I hope she ends up being convicted of murder, which is what she committed.

I once got into the wrong car by mistake. It was parked next to my car and neither car was unlocked, so I just hopped in. There was a bag of cleaning supplies on the passenger seat and I sat for about half a second before realizing what had happened so I jumped out. Which is what a normal person would do if they somehow managed to enter the wrong apartment.
I did that before as well. I was like, "When did I stop for a coffee?" when I saw the D&D cup in the holder lol.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah DUI manslaughter is typically something around 5 years in jail...if it was a mistake then that's the likely result.
5 years is about right, she might get less than that since she has no criminal record and can probably introduce mitigating factors such as being tired after working 15 hours, etc. I don't think she should spend decades in prison, she will never work as a police officer again and she will probably have a multimillion dollar lawsuit. She will have to surrender any assets to satisfy that and will face a wage garnishment for the rest of her life. IMO that's adequate punishment.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:18 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
So if your son was home and a cop burst in and murdered him for being in his own apartment, you'd be cool with the cop getting five years because "she was tired"?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:33 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
She made a terrible mistake and is going to go to jail over it. But we need to rattle the empty noggins of those who are trying to make this a race issue.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
5 years is about right, she might get less than that since she has no criminal record and can probably introduce mitigating factors such as being tired after working 15 hours, etc. I don't think she should spend decades in prison, she will never work as a police officer again and she will probably have a multimillion dollar lawsuit. She will have to surrender any assets to satisfy that and will face a wage garnishment for the rest of her life. IMO that's adequate punishment.
Funny, if that were your son, I don’t think you’d be saying “that’s punishment enough “.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
So she's going to only be charged with manslaughter?

If the roles were reversed, and a black man walked into a white woman's apartment, shot her head, and claimed it was an accident because he entered the wrong apartment. I wonder if he would get just manslaughter?

If somebody walks into my child's home and kills them, I want Murder 2 charges. To say this woman cop was "unbelievably irresponsible" doesn't even begin to capture her fatal mistake. Somebody is dead because she's an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies