Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 02:20 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,215,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I remember John's grandmother telling me about her back alley abortion. It was done without anesthesia and a horrendous, dangerous procedure. Many women died. It was done during the depression. They already had 4 children and were crammed into a small house with his parents. Keeping 4 adults and 4 children fed when there wasn't any work was no easy feat. Was it irresponsible on their part for becoming pregnant? Should they be penalized for an accident? Will people stop having abortions is Roe v Wade is overturned? I suspect not. Who has the right to decide whether or not to carry a child? Some religious fringe or the individual?
No, prohibition laws would not stop women from having abortions. Laws that attempt to stop people from doing something they want to do never work. They give politicians something to run on and make people who lack critical thinking skills feel good but they don't stop the behavior. They just send it underground and help criminals get rich. If abortion is ever made illegal in the US, women with resources will either leave the country for safe abortions or find physicians willing to break the law for enough money. Poorer women will end up in back alleys, or trying to do it themselves and we'll all be paying their medical bills from botched abortions.

People should also be careful what they wish for. When I was in college my roomate was dating the president of the local Young Republicans Club. He regularly organized protests of abortion rights and lamented the lack of responsibility shown by those who had abortions. He made his opposition to abortion and desire to see Roe overturned well known. He was really good at preaching but not so good at practicing.

My roomate got pregnant at 20, he was 22 and about to graduate. She was devastated and terrified but they had made plans to be together and get married eventually. She assumed they would make it work somehow but he had other ideas. He instantly demanded she have an abortion. She was shocked and not sure what she really wanted, so she asked for some time to think about it. By the next day he was demanding answers she wasn't ready to give. He just kept upping the pressure, one minute he would say how much he loved her and she should do it for their future, the next he was threatening to leave her and never speak to her again or the child. I witnessed this nightmare, he put her through hell. She eventually gave in and had the abortion because he said they were over if she didn't and she loved him. Not surprisingly, he dumped her soon after. I don't think he could handle being reminded of his hypocrisy.

He never changed. He went on to try local politics and fought abortions rights every chance he could. Fighting against abortion is great for politics, it's an emotional issue that gets people riled up and voting. That's great for politics but he was very happy that abortion was legal when his girlfriend got pregnant. I'd place a large bet that over the years, many republican men have been happy that it's legal no matter what they publicly proclaim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 02:36 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,098,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
You people are fear-mongering nutjobs. Nobody is overturning Roe v. Wade or Same Sex Marriage. That ship has already sailed. These theatrics are nothing more than the Left trying to thwart Trump's every move.
Kavanaugh could end the "theatrics" by assuring everyone he has no intention of voting to overturn RvW or SSM.......yet he won't.....wonder why?

Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,396,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Kavanaugh could end the "theatrics" by assuring everyone he has no intention of voting to overturn RvW or SSM.......yet he won't.....wonder why?
They don't have to overturn RvW many states are just chipping away rendering it useless. Seven states are down to one clinic due to restrictions and Arkansas just banned medication abortions, it will likely be overturned but that wont stop them from trying. The claim by the state was that they are protecting women's health in spite of lack of medical evidence. Arkansas has proposed 29 abortion restrictions in the last several years.

There are 14 cases from various states currently in appeals courts and it is likely that some of them will reach the supreme court. Kavanaugh wasn't picked because he was a great jurist, he was licked because of his ideology.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/u...-arkansas.html

Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,823,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
You people are fear-mongering nutjobs. Nobody is overturning Roe v. Wade or Same Sex Marriage. That ship has already sailed. These theatrics are nothing more than the Left trying to thwart Trump's every move.
You must live under a rock.

It’s right there in the R platform. I doubt Trump personally gives a rip about either issue - but his main supporters sure do, and Kavanaugh sure does. Especially abortion.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,037,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
No, prohibition laws would not stop women from having abortions. Laws that attempt to stop people from doing something they want to do never work. They give politicians something to run on and make people who lack critical thinking skills feel good but they don't stop the behavior. They just send it underground and help criminals get rich. If abortion is ever made illegal in the US, women with resources will either leave the country for safe abortions or find physicians willing to break the law for enough money. Poorer women will end up in back alleys, or trying to do it themselves and we'll all be paying their medical bills from botched abortions.

People should also be careful what they wish for. When I was in college my roomate was dating the president of the local Young Republicans Club. He regularly organized protests of abortion rights and lamented the lack of responsibility shown by those who had abortions. He made his opposition to abortion and desire to see Roe overturned well known. He was really good at preaching but not so good at practicing.

My roomate got pregnant at 20, he was 22 and about to graduate. She was devastated and terrified but they had made plans to be together and get married eventually. She assumed they would make it work somehow but he had other ideas. He instantly demanded she have an abortion. She was shocked and not sure what she really wanted, so she asked for some time to think about it. By the next day he was demanding answers she wasn't ready to give. He just kept upping the pressure, one minute he would say how much he loved her and she should do it for their future, the next he was threatening to leave her and never speak to her again or the child. I witnessed this nightmare, he put her through hell. She eventually gave in and had the abortion because he said they were over if she didn't and she loved him. Not surprisingly, he dumped her soon after. I don't think he could handle being reminded of his hypocrisy.

He never changed. He went on to try local politics and fought abortions rights every chance he could. Fighting against abortion is great for politics, it's an emotional issue that gets people riled up and voting. That's great for politics but he was very happy that abortion was legal when his girlfriend got pregnant. I'd place a large bet that over the years, many republican men have been happy that it's legal no matter what they publicly proclaim.
And there it is for all you "do gooders"...…………..THIS is reality.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:46 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,019,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I am really concerned that our country is going in the wrong direction. Can you imagine how many lives will be destroyed if such things were to be overturned?
I consider myself more conservative than liberal, but also more middle of the road than anything. I am in favor of women's rights, but I do consider a baby, just that, a baby. Killing one is on par to me with euthanizing a mortally sick person.

As far as same sex marriage, I'm perfectly fine with anyone marrying anyone they so choose.

I grew up Southern Baptist, my parents still don't believe in Evolution, I live in the bible belt, and my ancestors owned slaves. I have seen many changes since my time on Earth, many of those for the better. I feel that people should be themselves and we should accept them for who they are. However, I don't believe that the Government should be the one deciding who gets the "fair shake" in this country. I feel that education, communication, and social events are the key to learning to get along with each other, not a government mandate.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:25 AM

73,191 posts, read 62,899,418 times
I am not a fan of abortion. I don't identify as a conservative. I'm just someone who doesn't like the idea of killing the unborn children. Unless it is a dire emergency, abortion is never a good idea. This is how I see it. If you know you can't take care of the child by the time you're pregnant, better to give the child away for adoption and give that child a chance at life. On the other hand, I'm also finding out that the child care system has alot of kids that never get adopted.

I also think of this. We know that alot of children are being born to parents who were never fit to be parents in the first place or didn't have the ability to take care of them. Many people look at such people as a burden on society. I find it ironic that we have people talking about "you better not be on welfare when that kid is born" or " you better not expect the tax payers to pick of the bill for your kid". Ironic considering that many kids often become a burden on the taxpayer when they get older. What am I talking about? Crime, drug abuse,etc. These are issues to consider.

This is what I have to look at. What we all should look at. What do we do with said kids once they are born. As someone who does not see abortion as a good option, I also understand that many of those kids are going to have problems. If their birth parents cannot take care of them, who will? I say adoption is the #1 solution. However, I also understand that we have kids in the care of the system who cannot get adopted. People who adopt often want the babies. If the babies are not adopted by a certain age, the chances of getting adopted drop even lower. And then there is a bigger issue. Many unwanted children are the result of both parties being irresponsible. Two unwed persons having unprotected sex and then a pregnancy results. One person or both persons are two irresponsible to prepare for that kid.

So far, we have unwanted children being born and irresponsible people giving birth to unwanted kids. We need to find a solution that does not involve abortion. So far, adoption seems to be the best one, but this has some holes as well. Many can't adopt. Many won't adopt.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:39 AM

34,166 posts, read 17,249,840 times
Quote:
Because he should decide cases based on their individual merits, not SJW's concerns.

It would be irresponsible for any SC associate to make any statement such as you suggest.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,072,354 times
Quote:
Well let's just say, there is no legal reason to overturn it, so what difference does it made? A lot of people, including yours truly, are pro life, but we also realize that is a personal feeling and has nothing to do wiht the actual law. Would all of you stop worrying so much about this? if there was ever going to be a true attempt at overturning the law it would have happened or an attempt would have been made while Bush was president.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,261,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Of course I do have that right. I am not imposing any thing on anybody. Why do "you people" have to impose your homosexuality on the rest of "us"?

I don't want to. It is my personal opinion.
How exactly did I impose homosexuality on you by marrying my wife?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies