Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
If you're afraid of a black guy whose in a suit and tie in a corporate setting, I don't know what to tell you. We're all afraid of the ones that run around in the thug uniform. Just like we should all be afraid of the white guys running around in the punk/goth attire...they might slit your wrists, then theirs.
I don't know, alot of young men in general, black or white, are known to dress in "thug" attire. To many, it is considered a fashion statement. In some cases, one can't tell a college student who is on his why to class from someone who is in a gang because the "thug" style is considered a fashion statement. Personally, I don't dress in such attire. It doesn't mean I am going to be scared of every black person who dresses as such. Maybe being on a college campus alot gives me a different view of this. Personally, what is the difference between a Black person dressing in "thug" clothes and a White person doing the same?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Most people assume the white guys that dress like that are just wannabes. Though over in England the white guys that dress like that are just as dangerous.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Most people assume the white guys that dress like that are just wannabes. Though over in England the white guys that dress like that are just as dangerous.
It kind of resounds with my own perspective. Black youth are going to be perceived differently than White youth. Often, the consequences of that hurt everyone.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
I dress how I want & if I dress or wear something that you people consider "thug" attire or a thug "fashion" so be it. None of you buy my clothes and none of you will, so it doesn't mean I'm a thug or someone you should be scared of it's just the way I dress. I don't carry myself in a thug mentality though so you should notice the difference!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
What is important to many black youth is “Respect”. You want to carry yourself in a way that gets “Respect” in the environment that you are in. If you don’t dress and carry yourself a certain way, you will become prey to the predators. Thus, consciously or unconsciously, these youths realize that it is better to look like a preditor than to look like prey. It helps them survive. Smiling is another thing. When I was a youth, we did not smile much in public. You carried a “mean mug” to deter any would be aggressors. We did not smile when taking pictures. It just becomes part of our socialization. You can’t look “weak” in the inner-city and not have a lot of problems, so a lot of males try to look hard and fierce. It’s the dress, the walk the expressions, the talk....all to survive and or fit in.

For 95% of the youth it’s just a façade to fit in and survive a tough environment. However, when people from outside the environment see them…..they don’t know who the real thugs are from those simply looking the part. That is actually the goal of these youths, because they feel that it gets them respect. To be feared is to be respected....in the world that they come from.

Black youth have to survive two worlds....one black....and one white and one is the antithesis of the other.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What is important to many black youth is “Respect”. You want to carry yourself in a way that gets “Respect” in the environment that you are in. If you don’t dress and carry yourself a certain way, you will become prey to the predators. Thus, consciously or unconsciously, these youths realize that it is better to look like a preditor than to look like prey. It helps them survive. Smiling is another thing. When I was a youth, we did not smile much in public. You carried a “mean mug” to deter any would be aggressors. We did not smile when taking pictures. It just becomes part of our socialization. You can’t look “weak” in the inner-city and not have a lot of problems, so a lot of males try to look hard and fierce. It’s the dress, the walk the expressions, the talk....all to survive and or fit in.

For 95% of the youth it’s just a façade to fit in and survive a tough environment. However, when people from outside the environment see them…..they don’t know who the real thugs are from those simply looking the part. That is actually the goal of these youths, because they feel that it gets them respect. To be feared is to be respected....in the world that they come from.

Black youth have to survive two worlds....one black....and one white and one is the antithesis of the other.
I see some people behave like this in suburban areas as well as the inner city. Often, alot of people can't tell the difference between the "facade" and the real thugs. Some people feel like it gets the respect. In my own experiences, that is often not the case. The difference is this: When a few Black youths dress like "thugs" and carry that facade, some people view as "well, he's Black, of course he is going to dress like a thug. He might even be a thug too." If it is a Black male youth dressing in "business casual" or "business" attire, some people don't know what to make of it. One of my friends told me this. The only difference between the way some White college students perceive me(the "non-stereotypical Black guy") and how they might perceive a Black guy who carries the "thug" facade is that some students know how to deal with someone who carries the "thug" facade. Furthermore, because I don't carry that persona, some students didn't know what to make of it, so some students(not all, but it was a few of them) made fun of it. Where as, some of the Black students who had the "thug" facade, such "disrespect" is saved for when that person is not around. It isn't just something in the inner city. Personally, I had to put it in my mind that I was define what it meant to be me, what being Black meant to me rather than what others define it as. Some people still viewed me as "scary" because I came off as "creepy", often without trying. Being Black just complicates it in some cases.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It kind of resounds with my own perspective. Black youth are going to be perceived differently than White youth. Often, the consequences of that hurt everyone.
You bring up a good point. There was a special done by ABC a few years back on this very phenomenon, and the results pretty much justify your perspective. Check this out.

YouTube - ABC - 20/20 What Would You Do / Racism In America - Part 1

Old 05-10-2010, 01:06 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Part 2: Same activity. Different race of kids.

YouTube - ABC - 20/20 What Would You Do / Racism In America - Part 2

Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
You bring up a good point. There was a special done by ABC a few years back on this very phenomenon, and the results pretty much justify your perspective. Check this out.

YouTube - ABC - 20/20 What Would You Do / Racism In America - Part 1
This video angers me, but it has no shock value for me. I have experienced this stuff. Three white kids vandalize a car and most people don't get involved. A few black kids SLEEP in a car and alarm bells go off with everyone. I am not shocked because I have experienced this crap. When I lived on campus, I would ride my bicycle all over campus, many cases it was night time. The police were called on my because I appeared "suspicious". All I was doing was riding my bike. I was left a bit upset because I thought "that is a stupid reason to call the police, and I don't think it was because anyone was "concerned". According to some people, a Black man riding his bicycle on campus at night is considered "out of place".

Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Part 2: Same activity. Different race of kids.

YouTube - ABC - 20/20 What Would You Do / Racism In America - Part 2
After about less than two minutes of this video, I got the drill. 911 calls being triggered just because a few Black kids are sleeping in the car. And then everyone calls the police on the Black kids for vandalizing the car. Little of that was done when White kids were doing it. It shows me prejudice is still alive and well in 21st century USA. People are still going to perceive Black people as scary. The last incident I mentioned about the bicycle isn't the only thing. When I was a freshman in college, I went to apply for a job at the history department. The lady there told me there were no jobs. My response? I gave an irritated sigh, rolled my eyes and walked away. No threatening words said, just a sigh and walked away. 15 minutes later the police came looking for me. They told me they were called about a "disturbance". I thought "what disturbance? I didn't even yell or threaten anyone". After I explained it to the police, the cops told me to be more careful because apparently, some people just freak out about stuff. A police call on my could be triggered because I appeared to be unhappy about something. Looking back on this, I feel race played a big part in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies