Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times

Advertisements

I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

My pet peeve is speaking English. English is the language of North America.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

It appears we are going to become a bi-lingual country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Is this a rhetorical question? A resounding F yeah! A giant wave of 10s of millions of ss illegal aliens cross the border and the usa spends billions to accomodate them. Any more questions?

Last edited by saltine; 09-21-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 09:26 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,141 times
English is not the language of North America. Remember Mexico? Quebec, Canada? Lots of islands. And the U.S. does not have an official language. So just about the only place that English is official is in Canada and that's one of two official languages there. As long the the directions are in English too, I really don't care.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:28 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Hispanics will eventually be the majority in America the way things are going. Already they are the majority or near majority in CA, NM, TX.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Personally I think Americans are a bit conceited to think that everyone should learn English to interact with them. Most other places in the world people speak more than one language.

In fact, I recently visited Argentina, where the vast majority of people speak Spanish but only some speak English (kind of the reverse of here), yet almost everywhere I went instructions or labels were in English and Spanish, so I don't see a problem.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:53 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I do not mean this to be racist. Hispanics are a great culture of hardworking people. I do not have an issue with their immigration to the US. They have brought new diversity and skills to the US.

It has gotten to the point that virtually every set of instructions that come with anything you buy are in English and Spanish. Every time you call a telephone number you have a choice to press something for English or Spanish. I swear, I items for sale in Walmart and the box does not have one word of English on it, its all in Spanish.

I understand accommodation. However, I do believe immigrants to the US should learn English but the level of accommodation has gotten to the point that Hispanics do not have to learn English. Virtually everything is in Spanish. Sometimes to the point English speaking people are having to learn Spanish.

The whole Hispanic speaking accommodation is now a steam roller because businesses want to sell products so they target their audience.

Which items in Walmart have packaging that is only in Spanish? I ask because I've never seen this in any store and I find it hard to believe that large manufacturers would even have US labels like that.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:01 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
If you don't like the way private businesses are operating don't support them.

*shrug*

Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
The reason why consumer goods packaging features more than one language is because consumer goods are sold in more than one country.

You’d think this would be obvious, but I guess not. Some people apparently still believe that Walmart, Target, and Home Depot only occur in English-speaking countries. Or that Amazon only sells products in English-speaking countries.

It’s a big world out there, fOlks.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Personally, I don't understand the resistance in learning English. My grandparents were so proud to be here, so proud to be Americans they couldn't wait to learn to speak, read, and write the language of their new home. The only time they spoke Italian at home was when they didn't want us (their grandchildren) to understand what they were talking about, which was rare.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post

I completely agree that the fact that English is our national language needs to be codified by law, and that a fluency requirement for immigrants be re-established.

However, you seem to be such an enthusiastic booster of Hispanic immigration (no idea why - do you own a sweatshop or a restaurant or a strawberry farm or what's your deal?) What's in it for you?

I like Mexican food too. But I also wouldn't base a political position on what I like to eat.

So, I'm just wondering why you don't even mention the negative impacts of immigration. Especially illegal immigration which is a scourge.

And what new skills have been introduced into the country by Hispanic immigration, exactly?

Just give us a couple of examples, because I can't think of anything, and I can't really imagine that you would be making a reference to some kind of indigenous pottery or basket-weaving or adobe constructions or anything so clearly outdated and not useful to a modern society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies