Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:22 AM

304 posts, read 160,368 times

Advertisements

Now before I start a little back story. I have been hearing for a little while now, and have agreed the GOP needs to move past the Reagan years. He will been out of office for 30 years this January. Most voters under 40 (dare I say 45) do not hold the same reverence for his as their parents or people older in general. Its not taking anything away from Reagan for his time he was a ok to good president by some standards even great, but 30 years and 5 presidents later the GOP likes to cling to him where the people (hopefully) voting or at least eligible to vote for the first time this year were born upwards of 12 years AFTER he left office. As one Uncle of mine put it its like when the democrats tried to hold onto FDR well into the 60's and 70's at this point..newsflash it didn't help.

Why am I bringing him up? well like many Americans I am a fan of combat style sports, boxing, mma, wrestling. you always hear of the 1-2 punch. The first punch is Saint Regan, who for the record the "real" Reagan and this "mythical" Reagan are not the same people. but the other punch who this topic is about is of course..But Bill Clinton. Isn't time the GOP has moved on from this escape hatch?

Every time Trump gets into trouble with his real or alleged womanizing remember "Grab em by the p*ssy" the first response was/is Bill Clinton. Now with Bret Kavanaugh again you hear about all the things Bill Clinton did. AS if to say..yes Bret or Trump or GOP politician did this but so did Bill Clinton therefore it doesn't matter he is absolved of any and all crimes. its almost as if your saying..Bret or trump or whomever can be a serial rapist but since Bill Clinton was a pig its irrelevant but in a very ironic way lets chastise Bill Clinton for his bad and wrong (which it was) behavior.

Lets just put something in perspective. This January will mark 18 years since Bill left office. The voters under 25 were either infants or toddlers during that whole saga. And much like those under 40 don't view Reagan with rosey colored glasses they aren't really viewing Bill as the same. Do you really..and I mean really think Bill Clinton would get the nod TODAY (obviously if he was constitutionally eligible) in the era of #metoo? I wouldn't be surprised if a factor in Hillary loss was people voting 3rd party as a way to punish Bill for his behavior (see MI, WI and PA)

I was in high school during that time and while I think Bill was a good president he was 100% wrong for what he did. even if it was by all accounts consensual. (Monica nor Paula Jones ever said rape but in fairness I am willing to bet they feared a reprisal so to speak if they said no) he was wrong to cheat on his wife and use his position to mess around. Some feel he got off way to easy...(no pun intended) and I can agree. But that does not mean that its ok for Trump to mess around on his pregnant wife. or for trump to have a series of publicized affairs which he did. I don't say well Bill Clinton messed around on his wife so MAGA! In fact it looks like he is not viewed as favorably as Obama was his legacy will always be tarnished and as time goes on it probably won't improve.

As time goes on, people will be more willing to accept the fact that it was the past and much like how slavery, discrimination based on race/religion and now sexism was "ok back in the day" or people looked the other way, but its not anymore and its time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 02:46 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Why ? You can't !!! She can't !!!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:58 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Suffice to say that partisans will use any tool they have to attack the other side. (You are glossing over his unique situation in that his wife just ran for president so he was a whisker from being Mr. First Lady)

Something you should realize though that it doesn't seem you know is that you absolutely cannot have sex with an intern or subordinate anymore without it being deemed sexual harassment and likely leading to your termination regardless of consent. Even if no favors were exchanged it creates a hostile workplace for everyone else as they may then be thinking "wow, that's what I have to do to get promoted around this place" even if it's not the case.

P.S. Also, you're young so while it's ancient history to you, some of the people going after Kavanaugh were around to defend or at least turn a blind eye to Bills actions. None of that excuses any other behaviors by others but it is standard political fare to try to make the other guys look bad if at all possible.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:00 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Now before I start a little back story. I have been hearing for a little while now, and have agreed the GOP needs to move past the Reagan years. He will been out of office for 30 years this January. Most voters under 40 (dare I say 45) do not hold the same reverence for his as their parents or people older in general. Its not taking anything away from Reagan for his time he was a ok to good president by some standards even great, but 30 years and 5 presidents later the GOP likes to cling to him where the people (hopefully) voting or at least eligible to vote for the first time this year were born upwards of 12 years AFTER he left office. As one Uncle of mine put it its like when the democrats tried to hold onto FDR well into the 60's and 70's at this point..newsflash it didn't help.

Why am I bringing him up? well like many Americans I am a fan of combat style sports, boxing, mma, wrestling. you always hear of the 1-2 punch. The first punch is Saint Regan, who for the record the "real" Reagan and this "mythical" Reagan are not the same people. but the other punch who this topic is about is of course..But Bill Clinton. Isn't time the GOP has moved on from this escape hatch?

Every time Trump gets into trouble with his real or alleged womanizing remember "Grab em by the p*ssy" the first response was/is Bill Clinton. Now with Bret Kavanaugh again you hear about all the things Bill Clinton did. AS if to say..yes Bret or Trump or GOP politician did this but so did Bill Clinton therefore it doesn't matter he is absolved of any and all crimes. its almost as if your saying..Bret or trump or whomever can be a serial rapist but since Bill Clinton was a pig its irrelevant but in a very ironic way lets chastise Bill Clinton for his bad and wrong (which it was) behavior.

Lets just put something in perspective. This January will mark 18 years since Bill left office. The voters under 25 were either infants or toddlers during that whole saga. And much like those under 40 don't view Reagan with rosey colored glasses they aren't really viewing Bill as the same. Do you really..and I mean really think Bill Clinton would get the nod TODAY (obviously if he was constitutionally eligible) in the era of #metoo? I wouldn't be surprised if a factor in Hillary loss was people voting 3rd party as a way to punish Bill for his behavior (see MI, WI and PA)

I was in high school during that time and while I think Bill was a good president he was 100% wrong for what he did. even if it was by all accounts consensual. (Monica nor Paula Jones ever said rape but in fairness I am willing to bet they feared a reprisal so to speak if they said no) he was wrong to cheat on his wife and use his position to mess around. Some feel he got off way to easy...(no pun intended) and I can agree. But that does not mean that its ok for Trump to mess around on his pregnant wife. or for trump to have a series of publicized affairs which he did. I don't say well Bill Clinton messed around on his wife so MAGA! In fact it looks like he is not viewed as favorably as Obama was his legacy will always be tarnished and as time goes on it probably won't improve.

As time goes on, people will be more willing to accept the fact that it was the past and much like how slavery, discrimination based on race/religion and now sexism was "ok back in the day" or people looked the other way, but its not anymore and its time to move on.
By the words in your post it seems you can't get past Ronnie or Billie. Time to give up the what if's and move on...

Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Hillary Clinton is the rubber chicken of the right wing political circuit. It's their opening act, they can't do without it.
What are they gonna talk about otherwise?

Defend Trump's lies?
The tax cuts for the rich .01%ers?
King coal is back?
Tariffs don't matter?
"The deficit? What Deficit? Are the Dems back in power? Well..... never mind the deficit."
Deficits don't matter.

Nah. Got to open with "Hillary, lock her up!" and then segue to "But Obama!".
Polish it off with a 45 minute tirade against fake news and you got a genuine republican cluster **** fest led by DJT.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:05 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
"Lock her up!"

The chant of some in the Trump campaign who are now looking at jail time

Old 09-24-2018, 03:07 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
No please continue to reference Clinton.
He was impeached for his actions.
Fair is fair.

Karma is as she is ,too ,Brett Kavenaugh.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:08 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
If only the Clinton's would go away! But, NOOOOO! Hillary has to open her yap every five minutes with another excuse.

Funny seeing that video of Obama talking about how there's no way the Russians could hack our elections and that anyone who would claim otherwise wouldn't be suited for the job anyway....then a month later, Trump wins and all the Dems cry Russia....which, according to Obama makes them unqualified to be in their jobs!
https://youtu.be/pJB0Ag72bEs

Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
If only the Clinton's would go away! But, NOOOOO! Hillary has to open her yap every five minutes with another excuse.

Funny seeing that video of Obama talking about how there's no way the Russians could hack our elections and that anyone who would claim otherwise wouldn't be suited for the job anyway....then a month later, Trump wins and all the Dems cry Russia....which, according to Obama makes them unqualified to be in their jobs!
https://youtu.be/pJB0Ag72bEs
What a nasty distortion and total obfuscation of the thread by you. Have you even watched the video you posted claiming that Obama stated there was no Russian interference?
You couldn't have, because there is absolutely nowhere in that video where Obama claims such.
What he is calling out is Donald John Trump for declaring that there were millions of illegal votes cast during his election and the president was defending our voting system FROM D. Trump.

Square it away, Marine. Never thought I'd rag another member of the corps but your post is blatant falsehood designed to mislead.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What a nasty distortion and total obfuscation of the thread by you. Have you even watched the video you posted claiming that Obama stated there was no Russian interference?
You couldn't have, because there is absolutely nowhere in that video where Obama claims such.
What he is calling out is Donald John Trump for declaring that there were millions of illegal votes cast during his election and the president was defending our voting system FROM D. Trump.

Square it away, Marine. Never thought I'd rag another member of the corps but your post is blatant falsehood designed to mislead.
All you have to do is watch the video I posted....stop LYING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies