Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Instead of making your conclusions first...then explaining them to us by stories you found on the interweb (it's well known that the generations of welfare folks in WV and KY are Democrats from way back), how about explaining a few simple facts. Just lay it out for us.

1. Why do only 6% of Scientists ID as Republican?
Republicans aren't as easily duped. Read and learn: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...education.html
Quote:
2. Why are the "liberal" cities and states more educated - with clear results of higher income, better health, longer life spans and most other metrics?
THIS is the biggest takeaway, and there's NO disputing it...
Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain.
The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.caf173a2db29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 11:52 AM

672 posts, read 256,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
but I didn't take any Critical thinking test, did I. Who gave me the test and where?

when did it become a test?
I can't tell if you are being deliberately obtuse, or if you can't parse the English language.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The OP has voiced a concern noted by many of us; hair-splitting over minor grammatical and vocabulary issues is merely window-dressing. I note very few concerns when these errors arise over in the Great Lefty Playpen.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/13/healt...ntl/index.html

Not a new phenomenon. It does explain the rise of progressivism in this country.

Nah, it explains people taking a lifelong NYC grifter, con-man, Reality TV host, and compulsive liar as their savior.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If people can seriously stand by and literally say, that intellect in this country isn't declining, your seriously deluding yourselves.

first and foremost, our schools, they can't write their names, teachers can't fail a student, everyone gets a win....my gosh it's no wonder little kids have meltdowns.

And it's spreading far and wide within our corporations, woman want it all....they want to hold a full time job and make the big bucks, as much as anyone else, and yet, want kids, and take off 3 months to have a kid?
Then work full time and travel yet, hire someone to come in and take care of your kids while mom and dad are gone? That person doesn't care if your kids grow up with manners, probably doesn't even correct them....for fear they would lose their jobs.

Or, shove the kids off to day care....where the same happens....they don't learn the important skills that our stay at home mom's taught us. Manners. How to act in society, how to dress and not dress, what to say and not say...and the old, "You want something to cry about, I'll give you something to cry about", or, "Do I have to tell you ONE MORE TIME?"

Then you have a new generation at work who have 14 and 15 year old kids home sick from school and oh my God, the mother has to rush home? Are you Serious?

Oh, and everyone wins a prize for participating?

Good Lord, people don't get fired anymore, they faze their jobs out and give them a severance pay...why? There is not any discipline and bad behavior is rewarded.

You have people talking so ugly to others on line, in forums, in news feeds, and that's ok?

On the way to work this morning, the news station was telling people what they should eat?

Good Lord, what is wrong with people?

You have people driving like maniacs...it's like people get in their cars and turn into monsters, no common sense, just go, go, go, and to hell with anyone else on the road.

And people disrespecting other people, the catholic church ruining the lives of children, and yet, people still go to church....? When are people going to wake the heck up? This is crazy....absolutely crazy, what's more important, your children or backing a corrupt church?

There are no consequences for your actions any longer.

People are shooting each other over road rage, imagine, you get that angry at someone b/c they cut in front of you....

People torturring animals, this morning a father glued his daughter's eyes and mouth shut?

Isn't anyone awake, doesn't this bother anyone else....

and what are our representatives doing about all this crime...it is surely evident that we need more police on the roads, but do they hire more, hell no, they cut back, hmmm, makes sense.

Our utility bills keep going up and up, and yet, no one says a word about it?

food prices, keeps going up, and yet, everyone wants 15.00 per hour. What in the world do you think that will do to prices? I mean, are you kidding me?

you have identity theft going on, and yet, in this day and age, with all our technology, its running wild.

You have vans parked in broad daylight stealing our kids...

What the hell is going on out there, and why aren't people calling our reps on all this stuff...

they constantly keep raising taxes on gas, for road repair, all the taxes they are collecting and yet, they need more money????????

Talk about a waste of money, I saw our township chipped and tarred a road...what a freaking wast of money?

Can't people think ahead, problem solve, what ever happened to preventative maintenance...

They build homes so cheap, and yet, charge crazy prices for a home that is glued and stapled with not one piece of plywood, but particle board...do you know what's going to happen to your homes in a few years, especially after a lot of rain, they're going to rot away.

an HVAC company comes to my home, replaces a thermostat, and another part both costing $20.00 and has the nerve to charge me $800.00 and people your paying those prices...are you kidding me. Your paying $12,000.00 - 15,000.00 for a new heater system? did you even get any other estimates or question that price, or even price those systems on your own? That's more than 100% profit?
Murikans are sheep. Just look at it that way. All you can do is decide if you want to be a member of the herd or not.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:01 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Of course intellect is corroded. The fish rots from the head. As long as there is an ignorant celebrity in the WH - the corrosion will get worse. People believe his fiction and fairy tales, otherwise known as 'alternative facts'.
this isn't about Trump, please stay on topic.....

Old 09-29-2018, 09:04 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Of course intellect is corroded. The fish rots from the head. As long as there is an ignorant celebrity in the WH - the corrosion will get worse. People believe his fiction and fairy tales, otherwise known as 'alternative facts'.
This started long before Trump, hun. You can't go through life blaming everything on Trump or people will think you are insane.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:28 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
This decline in intellect just happens to parallel the "browning" of America. Just sayin'

Old 09-30-2018, 05:32 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
This decline in intellect just happens to parallel the "browning" of America. Just sayin'
The decline in intellect has corresponded to the abandonment of high academic standards in the 1960s in favor of SJW "equal educational outcomes" and the prioritizing of affective pedagogy favoring self-esteem over academic competence. I've posted cites and sources corroborating the decline and the cause.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:30 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The decline in intellect has corresponded to the abandonment of high academic standards in the 1960s in favor of SJW "equal educational outcomes" and the prioritizing of affective pedagogy favoring self-esteem over academic competence. I've posted cites and sources corroborating the decline and the cause.
yes, and there are tons of other reasons, why, but yes this is absolutely true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies