Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM

720 posts, read 501,622 times

Advertisements

I wanted to make a point about something I noticed watching the Christine Blasey Ford/Brett Kavanaugh hearings. It's about how we process emotion when it comes to men and women. I would've made this point in the giant Brett Kavanaugh thread, but I feel like it deserves it's own thread (real humble of me, I know).

A lot of people seem to wonder why Brett Kavanaugh won't just submit to an FBI investigation, why he won't call for one, why he was so angry and emotional and defensive if he's innocent, and I have to say it's kinda bothered me. But I want to make a point to those people.

One of the primary reasons I've been told that women don't report being sexually assaulted or raped is because they're afraid of victim-blaming. It's never explicit victim-blaming; it's never someone saying "I believe you were raped but I think it was your fault"; it's always implied by certain questions that are asked. Questions like what were you wearing, why did you go back to his place if you didn't want to sleep with him, did you give an implicit signal, etc.

We have no problem understanding why women are offended by questions like that.

So when Brett Kavanaugh seems to reject the idea of an FBI investigation and seems irritated by the suggestion that he call for one himself, it's the same premise at work. Innocent people have a certain pride about them. I'm not necessarily saying they should, but they do. He doesn't want an investigation because he believes he's innocent. And innocent people don't jump through hoops, especially for people who don't seem particularly impartial anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 05:35 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Kavanaugh isn't an idiot. All of these accusations are for one purpose only-to delay the confirmation until after the election, when Democrats dream of becoming relevant. Distorting our legal process for sitting a SCOTUS judge, let alone destroying an honorable man's reputation means nothing in the grand scheme.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:36 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
How many times was one of the women named in Kavanaugh's year book and it was called the "Renate Alumni".

A woman who reportedly knew Judge Brett Kavanaugh in high school and publicly defended his character in a letter signed by 64 other women, learned her name was the subject of a vulgar inside joke between him and his friends."

"The word "Renate" can be found 14 times across Georgetown Prep's 1983 yearbook in these profiles and in a caption under a group photo of Kavanaugh and his football teammates, who called themselves "Renate Alumni."

'I pray their daughters are never treated this way': Woman responds after learning she was the subject of a suggestive joke on Brett Kavanaugh's yearbook page
https://www.businessinsider.com/woma...s-jokes-2018-9

Men are not the victims. Kavanaugh is apologizing now because that has come out. Funny how he didn't have an issue with it until now.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:38 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,555,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Kavanaugh isn't an idiot. All of these accusations are for one purpose only-to delay the confirmation until after the election, when Democrats dream of becoming relevant. Distorting our legal process for sitting a SCOTUS judge, let alone destroying an honorable man's reputation means nothing in the grand scheme.
Distorting our legal process? You mean like when the GOP stole this nomination from President Obama?

And you have no idea whether Kavanaugh is "honorable." The only thing Kavanaugh is is enraged that his privilege was questioned. Statistically, it's far more likely that he's a sexual predator than that Ford is lying. Powerful men sexually assault women all the time. Conversely, their victims don't usually subject themselves to abuse and their family to threats of violence if their claims aren't true.

I'm sure if it were your daughter up there, you'd be singing a different tune.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:43 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,182,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
How many times was one of the women named in Kavanaugh's year book and it was called the "Renate Alumni".

A woman who reportedly knew Judge Brett Kavanaugh in high school and publicly defended his character in a letter signed by 64 other women, learned her name was the subject of a vulgar inside joke between him and his friends."

"The word "Renate" can be found 14 times across Georgetown Prep's 1983 yearbook in these profiles and in a caption under a group photo of Kavanaugh and his football teammates, who called themselves "Renate Alumni."

'I pray their daughters are never treated this way': Woman responds after learning she was the subject of a suggestive joke on Brett Kavanaugh's yearbook page
https://www.businessinsider.com/woma...s-jokes-2018-9

Men are not the victims. Kavanaugh is apologizing now because that has come out. Funny how he didn't have an issue with it until now.
I'm certain this is all he thought about over the last 35 years!

Old 09-27-2018, 05:44 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,774,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

The Democrats will never be relevant again.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:50 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,406,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I wanted to make a point about something I noticed watching the Christine Blasey Ford/Brett Kavanaugh hearings. It's about how we process emotion when it comes to men and women. I would've made this point in the giant Brett Kavanaugh thread, but I feel like it deserves it's own thread (real humble of me, I know).

A lot of people seem to wonder why Brett Kavanaugh won't just submit to an FBI investigation, why he won't call for one, why he was so angry and emotional and defensive if he's innocent, and I have to say it's kinda bothered me. But I want to make a point to those people.

One of the primary reasons I've been told that women don't report being sexually assaulted or raped is because they're afraid of victim-blaming. It's never explicit victim-blaming; it's never someone saying "I believe you were raped but I think it was your fault"; it's always implied by certain questions that are asked. Questions like what were you wearing, why did you go back to his place if you didn't want to sleep with him, did you give an implicit signal, etc.

So when Brett Kavanaugh seems to reject the idea of an FBI investigation and seems irritated by the suggestion that he call for one himself, it's the same premise at work. Innocent people have a certain pride about them. I'm not necessarily saying they should, but they do. He doesn't want an investigation because he believes he's innocent. And innocent people don't jump through hoops, especially for people who don't seem particularly impartial anyway.
But where doest the reverse sexism thread title come into play here?

Old 09-27-2018, 06:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,889,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post

Yeah but it is common knowledge and sense that you have to prove an accusation is true, and the accused person is not required to prove their innocence. So it is less understandable for an accuser to be indignant of having to prove it, than it is for an accused of having to disprove it.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,246,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Distorting our legal process? You mean like when the GOP stole this nomination from President Obama?

And you have no idea whether Kavanaugh is "honorable." The only thing Kavanaugh is is enraged that his privilege was questioned. Statistically, it's far more likely that he's a sexual predator than that Ford is lying. Powerful men sexually assault women all the time. Conversely, their victims don't usually subject themselves to abuse and their family to threats of violence if their claims aren't true.

I'm sure if it were your daughter up there, you'd be singing a different tune.
One more who believes a woman drunk 30 years ago whose recollection is suspect declares guilty because she said so.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,227,296 times
She sounded believable to me. Kavanaugh came across as an A**hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies