Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:55 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
If Murkowski votes No for the Final Vote, she won't have a chance at reelection.

Maybe we can persuade Sarah Palin to run against her in 2022.
That is not a correct assessment. One of Murkowski's biggest support bases comes from the Native Alaskans in the Alaskan interior, who have issues with some of Kavanaugh’s previous rulings on Native peoples’ sovereignty cases. Although not quite as bad, she is like Manchin in the sense that her constituents will not be happy if she votes with the party.

This is not about the #metoo movement for her.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:56 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, you are good with pressuring a witness to lie?

NO clue what you're talking about...really...
Who was pressured to lie or was it remember "better" or whatever might have been said? McClean apparently contacted Leland ... so did Ford earlier, per her testimony at the hearing. Obviously, I wasn't there for the McClean-Leland conversation but Leland doesn't seem to be making any accusations about Ford not accepting her inability to recall.

Last night I read a long WaPo article written by several reporters who contacted numerous Georgetown Prep alumni.

I read it on the phone and can't now locate it on the computer, hitting a paywall. It didn't contain any bombshells but Brett is asking alumni not to discuss him etc. That's understandable so no need to read much into it.

What was interesting was the description of how tightly knit the class was, which makes perfect sense for the purpose of these schools is to bring together the wealthy and potentially influential to create the lifelong contacts that foster success. You know ... the old boys school club thing.

Anyhow, the classmates over time have helped Judge extensively with his issues and even, in one case, provided financial assistance to a classmate who was having trouble paying a mortgage. Does that mean Judge would lie for Brett and that this is part of the code?

Obviously, dunno ... but I would given the history of the matter not necessarily parade his defense as a shining banner of truth.

Regardless, Judge was key. If he says, no - that's the end of it. (But then knowing ALL of this why in the world would Ford place him at the scene? She per her testimony never contacted Judge. No allegations there.)

Old 10-05-2018, 12:57 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Politics is like the wind. It can change direction at any time, without warning.
You should remember that and study American history, perhaps.
And you could have just left that last sentence out.

I agree with you otherwise.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:58 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
No, not if he got ahead of it. But his lying and partisan vitriolic attack on democrats during this hearing firmly disqualifies him. As the BAR association puts it, he does not have the temperament.

The ABA association gave him a well qualified just before the hearing.

Did something else happen?

Quote:
The American Bar Association is re-evaluating Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's 'well-qualified' rating ahead of the Senate vote to confirm him

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...rating-2018-10

Next....

Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Default Kavanaugh's Revenge

Tomorrow 10/6/2018 I expect the Senate to confirm Kavanaugh as the next Supreme Court judge.

The most obvious result will be the overturn of Roe v. Wade. So if you are a single woman be sure to take down Vinnie's plate.

The unions can expect challenges to collective bargaining laws to be decided in a companies favor. Right to work laws will spread as lawsuits challenge established labor laws. Equal pay for women will go into the trash heap.

Civil rights laws may be overturned or limited.

The ability of a same sex spouse to be covered under a health plan may be discontinued as gay marriage becomes unlawful.

Obamacare may be nullified by the court. Preexisting conditions will no longer be covered.

Overtime pay will go away if the Fair Labor Standards Act comes under judicial review.

While religious right will be calling some of the shots, you can follow the money for the rest.

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Who was pressured to lie or was it remember "better" or whatever might have been said? McClean apparently contacted Leland ... so did Ford earlier, per her testimony at the hearing. Obviously, I wasn't there for the McClean-Leland conversation but Leland doesn't seem to be making any accusations about Ford not accepting her inability to recall.

Last night I read a long WaPo article written by several reporters who contacted numerous Georgetown Prep alumni.

I read it on the phone and can't now locate it on the computer, hitting a paywall. It didn't contain any bombshells but Brett is asking alumni not to discuss him etc. That's understandable so no need to read much into it.

What was interesting was the description of how tightly knit the class was, which makes perfect sense for the purpose of these schools is to bring together the wealthy and potentially influential to create the lifelong contacts that foster success. You know ... the old boys school club thing.

Anyhow, the classmates over time have helped Judge extensively with his issues and even, in one case, provided financial assistance to a classmate who was having trouble paying a mortgage. Does that mean Judge would lie for Brett and that this is part of the code?

Obviously, dunno ... but I would given the history of the matter not necessarily parade his defense as a shining banner of truth.

Regardless, Judge was key. If he says, no - that's the end of it. (But then knowing ALL of this why in the world would Ford place him at the scene? She per her testimony never contacted Judge. No allegations there.)

Come on, really? To remember better? You mean to change your story, that's a lie...

Quote:
A friend of Christine Blasey Ford told the FBI that allies of the college professor, who accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her, pressured her to revise her earlier statement that she knew nothing about the alleged incident, according to a report.

Judge was questioned by the FBI:
Quote:
The FBI questioned Mark Judge, a high school friend of Kavanaugh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3cd10291c419

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That is not a correct assessment. One of Murkowski's biggest support bases comes from the Native Alaskans in the Alaskan interior, who have issues with some of Kavanaugh’s previous rulings on Native peoples’ sovereignty cases. Although not quite as bad, she is like Manchin in the sense that her constituents will not be happy if she votes with the party.
First, I'm sure you meant 'against'.

And yes, good point. That is quite a different demographic up there, but although Murkowski has won three full terms to the Senate, she has never won a majority of the vote. She won with 48.6% of the vote in 2004, 39.5% in 2010, and 44.4% in 2016.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:04 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Roe v. Wade will not be overturned.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:05 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Nobody is more narcissistic than Trump, believe me.
Prove to me why I should.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:05 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Tomorrow 10/6/2018 I expect the Senate to confirm Kavanaugh as the next Supreme Court judge.

The most obvious result will be the overturn of Roe v. Wade. So if you are a single woman be sure to take down Vinnie's plate.

The unions can expect challenges to collective bargaining laws to be decided in a companies favor. Right to work laws will spread as lawsuits challenge established labor laws. Equal pay for women will go into the trash heap.

Civil rights laws may be overturned or limited.

The ability of a same sex spouse to be covered under a health plan may be discontinued as gay marriage becomes unlawful.

Obamacare may be nullified by the court. Preexisting conditions will no longer be covered.

Overtime pay will go away if the Fair Labor Standards Act comes under judicial review.

While religious right will be calling some of the shots, you can follow the money for the rest.
It will take at least one more liberal being replaced by Trump and probably two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies