Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 02:26 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
When will the protesters yell Shame in Harry Reid's face?
He's the one who made this possible with his nuclear option.
Perhaps the protestors are not informed?
The nuclear option was necessary. Pretty much no judges were getting confirmed without it in this hyper partisan atmosphere.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:26 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Tomorrow 10/6/2018 I expect the Senate to confirm Kavanaugh as the next Supreme Court judge.

The most obvious result will be the overturn of Roe v. Wade. So if you are a single woman be sure to take down Vinnie's plate.

The unions can expect challenges to collective bargaining laws to be decided in a companies favor. Right to work laws will spread as lawsuits challenge established labor laws. Equal pay for women will go into the trash heap.

Civil rights laws may be overturned or limited.

The ability of a same sex spouse to be covered under a health plan may be discontinued as gay marriage becomes unlawful.

Obamacare may be nullified by the court. Preexisting conditions will no longer be covered.

Overtime pay will go away if the Fair Labor Standards Act comes under judicial review.

While religious right will be calling some of the shots, you can follow the money for the rest.
Most important one of all...………The Terrance Gamble case which will be heard this SCOTUS session.

If Kavanaugh gets on, the court will rule in favor of the plaintiff, T. Gamble and thereafter, anyone pardoned for any federal crime by President Trump cannot be retried by the state courts.
Presidential pardon will be absolute and extend to state courts rather than just federal. There will go the last chance to bring Trump or any of his criminal inner circle to justice.
We will truly have an autocratic dictatorship rather than a Democracy.

Think about the ramifications of that.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.
That's funny. But no, the House at least will flip to D control.

One party government is bad overall, so that's good imo.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
We will truly have an autocratic dictatorship rather than a Democracy.
Well no, we can still kick him out in 2020. We won't allow him to change that.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:29 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Found a live stream and just got done watching her portion after going back in that livestream a bit.
For future reference, always check youtube. They have live streams for everything! It's my go-to place since I don't have cable.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:29 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Found a live stream and just got done watching her portion after going back in that livestream a bit.

I don't agree with everything that she said, (Di-Fi has integrity? no), but I did like how she dismantled all of the BS claims that confirming Kavanaugh was going to be such chaos because he's going to start taking away things like Roe vs Wade, etc. Idiots.

I'm very glad she's voting YES to his confirmation. I love the state of Maine, and am glad it's not going to be tarnished by someone who would allow an allegation with no evidence at all to prevent his nomination. She was being very fair, and I give her props for that. Shouldn't have taken all this extra baloney, but she is going to vote YES, so that's what matters.
Once again, Kavanaugh was not on trial. There was not a criminal stard of innocence vs. guilt. This was a job interview. Nevertheless, he testified under oath, lied several times (he's not a legacy student at Yale, right?) and now he's being seated on the Supreme Court. Any other job candidate on planet Earth would be immediately eliminated from consideration just for lying. But Trump has poisoned the Republican party so thoroughly the bar can't be set any lower. Nothing disqualifies a candidate from being hired.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:31 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
To the bolded (my emphasis), I saw this and found her comments alarming. She said that the pendulum has swung the other way and if some innocent me get caught in it, that was okay because she felt it was just based on history. I will never accept that as okay. Never. People like her and these kinds of ideas are the antithesis of everything our country believes and was founded upon.
Yes. Black men everywhere should shudder. History has shown that when a white woman accuses a black man of sexual assault, she is to be believed without question.

And this is another example at how white liberals can be so tunnel-visioned that they don't consider the collateral damage to other groups in their corner.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yes. Black men everywhere should shudder. History has shown that when a white woman accuses a black man of sexual assault, she is to be believed without question.

And this is another example at how white liberals can be so tunnel-visioned that they don't consider the collateral damage to other groups in their corner.
This is what boggled my mind about Cosby and why I didn't believe most of the Women. They would have arrested him in a heartbeat especially back in the 70's. Who are they gonna believe an older Black Man or a barely legal White teen????

Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Those viewpoints are unacceptable; there are crazies are both sides of the spectrum. Offhand, I don't know of anyone who said such things in this thread, although certainly I have not read every post.
I haven't seen anyone say it in this particular thread, but there was another thread about a week or so ago where a poster stated that some falsely accused men were okay because it made up for all of those who weren't believed. Unfortunately, even though I replied to that person, I can't find it in my archives. I'll look more closely a little later as it may have happened further back than I thought, but yes, someone on this forum actually said that.

Edit: Nevermind, just found it: http://www.city-data.com/forum/52919482-post96.html

Old 10-05-2018, 02:34 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,848,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Personally I am glad this circus is over, and I'll be even happier after Nov elections are over, because I am tired of the cheap negative ads on TV.

If there is a bright spot about all this it is that all of us who feel that time is going by to fast are feeling like time is crawling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies