Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:16 AM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm 59 years old. My oldest child turned 30 today. I started with organized play groups when he was about 18 months old. We had stay at home Dads in our group back then. That was 28 years ago.

Welcome to the 21st century people.
Rather than your anecdotes, what do the statistics show on stay-at-home dads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Notice how no one shouts about how offensive it is to claim that men are less interested in working fewer hours to be with their families than women because it's an unfair generalization? Predictably, only one-half of the equation is offensive and misogynistic and blah, blah, blah.

Can you imagine how much worse Western Civilization would be if both sexes desired/had to to work the same amount of hours or work in identically-stressful jobs? Thank God we don't.

It would be interesting to do some sort of longitudinal study on those demanding professions where the percentage of women has been increasing, and see how many women are still in the profession after five or ten years, compared to men.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Rather than your anecdotes, what do the statistics show on stay-at-home dads?
Statistics on Stay-At-Home Dads - National At-Home Dad Network

"The most accurate count of stay-at-home dads was estimated at 1.4 million by Dr. Beth Latshaw in 2009. That number has likely increased based on trends from other sources (see below) to at least 1.75 million. In her study, she focuses on the role of the father, not their employment status."

Old 10-06-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Statistics on Stay-At-Home Dads - National At-Home Dad Network

"The most accurate count of stay-at-home dads was estimated at 1.4 million by Dr. Beth Latshaw in 2009. That number has likely increased based on trends from other sources (see below) to at least 1.75 million. In her study, she focuses on the role of the father, not their employment status."
In other words, women are overwhelmingly still the ones who stay home with the kids?

Old 10-06-2018, 11:47 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
In other words, women are overwhelmingly still the ones who stay home with the kids?
Dont have that data yet....would have to see how many moms stay at home, how many have daycare, nannies, or sitters, etc.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Notice how no one shouts about how offensive it is to claim that men are less interested in working fewer hours to be with their families than women because it's an unfair generalization? Predictably, only one-half of the equation is offensive and misogynistic and blah, blah, blah.

Can you imagine how much worse Western Civilization would be if both sexes desired/had to to work the same amount of hours or work in identically-stressful jobs? Thank God we don't.

It would be interesting to do some sort of longitudinal study on those demanding professions where the percentage of women has been increasing, and see how many women are still in the profession after five or ten years, compared to men.
In both cases - no matter if a man takes a demanding job OR if a woman takes a demanding job - a supportive spouse is key.

My girlfriend worked a demanding, high profile job for years while her husband stayed home. His choice. She made all the money - she was able to retire early; both kids are grown and they are loving life.

One person sacrificed his job; but he was a a used car salesman and I really don't think he saw it as a huge sacrifice; it was just common sense. He ended up doing some personal training where you can set your own hours and was perfectly content.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:59 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My girlfriend worked a demanding, high profile job for years while her husband stayed home. His choice. She made all the money - she was able to retire early; both kids are grown and they are loving life.
While this lady was probably your girlfriend before or after she was married to stay-at-home husband, I initially read it as she was your girlfriend while she was still married.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
While this lady was probably your girlfriend before or after she was married to stay-at-home husband, I initially read it as she was your girlfriend while she was still married.
Ringo is a "she".

I do not think she meant "girlfriend" in a romantic sense.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
In both cases - no matter if a man takes a demanding job OR if a woman takes a demanding job - a supportive spouse is key.

One person sacrificed his job; but he was a a used car salesman and I really don't think he saw it as a huge sacrifice; it was just common sense. He ended up doing some personal training where you can set your own hours and was perfectly content.
If I haven't gotten the point across effectively: the instrument has yet to be invented that can measure everything women give to civilization and the family. Behind good men are indeed good women.

What puzzles me is, in contrast to early feminists, the propensity and will of modern feminists to make women like men, out of some terribly misguided sense of "liberation." "Liberated" to work ungodly hours? More dangerous jobs? To serve in combat in war? To be loud and profane like men? "Liberated" to be in uncommitted, fleeting relationships that invariably benefit men more than women? That's not at all what original feminists envisioned. Unsurprisingly, women grow unhappier and unhappier.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ringo is a "she".

I do not think she meant "girlfriend" in a romantic sense.
Yeah, I've never understood that use of language. All it does is confuse other people. Most everyone I know calls a person they like for whom they have non-romantic affection a "friend." Invariably, after speaking of a "friend," the very next sentence begins with a pronoun - "He/She" - and it clears up whether the friend is male/female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies