Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:10 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times

Advertisements

"Women shouldn't need to learn to protect themselves against rape #missnevada educate and respect yourself as a woman #rapeculture"

Feminists Freak Out Over Miss Nevada Suggestion Women Learn Self Defense to Avoid Rape - Katie Pavlich

Wow!
What is wrong with women learning to defend themselves?
Yeah women shouldn't need to protect themselves from rape.

I also shouldn't have to lock my door at night because people shouldn't burglarize homes.
I shouldn't have to avoid bad neighborhoods because people shouldn't mug other people.
There are a lot of things we SHOULDN'T have to do but we do them because that's the way the world is
unfortunately.

What do you think has better odds of success…
We rehabilitate or "teach" all of the violent men in the world who would rape a woman to change their ways or we teach women how to defend themselves and how to avoid becoming a victim of rape?

Its wrong for women to learn to defend themselves because men shouldn't rape?
I guess we no longer need the police or laws either because people shouldn't commit crimes.
I sometimes wonder if feminists are women's worst enemy.
Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,282 times
Participants in beauty competitions always have to learn to defend themselves. Against feminists.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
I see nothing wrong with what she said. Everyone should have the means to defend themselves from those who would cause harm to you.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Any article that beings with "leftists" and similar phrases is already clearly interested in promoting an agenda vs. the facts. Given that, I can't even be sure if the so-called "leftist, feminist responses" are accurate or taken out of context.

That being said, one can badly misinterpret what is being said. Technically speaking, in an idealized case, women should not "need to defend themselves against rape" because men wouldn't be trying to rape them. Note that this is idealized and is similar to saying that a person shouldn't HAVE to learn how to "kill somebody who's trying to harm their family" because, ideally, people wouldn't be trying to harm other people.

Now, that being said, it is obviously only an idealized case. In reality, women do need to learn to defend themselves - really, everyone should have some training in that area if possible - but we should also try not to sweep rape under the rug as a society, too. In short, we should not rely SOLELY upon a woman's self-defense skills to prevent rape anymore than we should rely SOLELY upon a home owner's firearms skills to prevent robberies.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Learning self defense won't end the rape culture we have in this country. It would be better for our country to teach men that it isn't okay to rape someone.

I will say the article sounded to be hard Ms Nevada because she is also right that in our rape culture, it is important for women to learn how to defend themselves from their attackers because we are incapable of teaching our men that it isn't okay to rape a woman.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:39 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Learning self defense won't end the rape culture we have in this country. It would be better for our country to teach men that it isn't okay to rape someone.

I will say the article sounded to be hard Ms Nevada because she is also right that in our rape culture, it is important for women to learn how to defend themselves from their attackers because we are incapable of teaching our men that it isn't okay to rape a woman.
People have been rapping people for as long as humans have walked the earth. It is completely impossible to teach everyone not to rape. (Not saying that it should not happen though). This issue is best approached from both sides and the one area you have personal control of is your ability to defend yourself.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:40 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
"Women shouldn't need to learn to protect themselves against rape #missnevada educate and respect yourself as a woman #rapeculture"

Feminists Freak Out Over Miss Nevada Suggestion Women Learn Self Defense to Avoid Rape - Katie Pavlich

Wow!
What is wrong with women learning to defend themselves?
Yeah women shouldn't need to protect themselves from rape.

I also shouldn't have to lock my door at night because people shouldn't burglarize homes.
I shouldn't have to avoid bad neighborhoods because people shouldn't mug other people.
There are a lot of things we SHOULDN'T have to do but we do them because that's the way the world is
unfortunately.

What do you think has better odds of success…
We rehabilitate or "teach" all of the violent men in the world who would rape a woman to change their ways or we teach women how to defend themselves and how to avoid becoming a victim of rape?

Its wrong for women to learn to defend themselves because men shouldn't rape?
I guess we no longer need the police or laws either because people shouldn't commit crimes.
I sometimes wonder if feminists are women's worst enemy.
Wow.
Oh. My. God!!! I guess that's easy to say, coming from people who have an entourage of security. This issue hits dead center for me, and those responses just.....slay me. In all the dealings those women must have had with womens issues, have they never at least spoken with victims of rape and attempted rape?! Yes, rape is wrong. Really?! No sh**!!! The men who rape know this too. They don't care!!! They are PREDATORS. Their minds are twisted, and they are no more than rabid animals.

Self defense is "icky"?! Ummmm.....again, No kidding?! Really? Whoda thunk. Rape is "ickyer". Obviously, these critics need to see the results of rape and attempted rape first hand. Maybe look into a rapists eyes, a d see the evil there for themselves. Unbelievable. I'm just dumbstruck. If my lady had not defended herself, and had the means and will to do so, her tiny body would have been broken to bits, violated horribly, and if not killed outright , left for dead. I cringe to think, as it is bad enough as is.

The sight of her when I got to the hospital is branded in my head, and the incident is flat carved into hers. How could these women be so COLD?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
People have been rapping people for as long as humans have walked the earth. It is completely impossible to teach everyone not to rape. (Not saying that it should not happen though). This issue is best approached from both sides and the one area you have personal control of is your ability to defend yourself.
Which I also support, though there is nothing wrong with wanting to bring our country's rape culture to light and pushing for change to happen as well.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Yeah, women don't need to defend themselves.

All they need is a man.

Does anyone else think that the feminists seem to be regressing from their original objective of a liberated female populace?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yeah, women don't need to defend themselves.

All they need is a man.

Does anyone else think that the feminists seem to be regressing from their original objective of a liberated female populace?
They are disgusting political skunts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies