Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:59 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You never heard the phrase, "she was asking for it" have you?
When I was 15 I was working in a bad section of town. My co-worker invited me over to his house and introduced me to his sister.

She greeted me with, "If you don't fk me, I'll tell my dad you raped me."

Hey, that chit is out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:00 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Many say the death penalty is not
a deterent, but I guarantee one thing, dead men commit no rape.
True, but some people rape dead women.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,697 times
Quote:
You never heard the phrase, "she was asking for it" have you?
There is no rape "culture", and just because some men and women in the U.S. are rapist, doesn't make it a culture nor is it condoned.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
There is no rape "culture", and just because some men and women in the U.S. are rapist, doesn't make it a culture nor is it condoned.
A demonstration of a very limited understanding of culture, generally, and rape culture, specifically. It's much more complicated:

"The concept of rape culture links nonconsensual sex with the cultural fabric of a society. Using rape as a descriptive of culture suggests a patter of learned behavior created, organized, and transmitted from generation to generation as part of the expectations with being male and being female. Rape culture is not an either-or phenomenon but exists in varying degrees, from the institutionalization of rape to its perfunctory punishment as crime."
The Concise Encyclopedia of Sociology, 493.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Speaking common sense, per the beauty queen's comments, is officially un-PC these days. Emily Yoffe warned young women that there’s a connection between passing out drunk at parties and getting raped. The liberals were outraged over that bit of common sense, too.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Leave it to the far left radical leftists on this forum to use a fabricated "rape culture" in America to deflect away from the topic at hand, which is that of a strong, principled woman standing up for what she believes in.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Learning self defense won't end the rape culture we have in this country. It would be better for our country to teach men that it isn't okay to rape someone.

I will say the article sounded to be hard Ms Nevada because she is also right that in our rape culture, it is important for women to learn how to defend themselves from their attackers because we are incapable of teaching our men that it isn't okay to rape a woman.
It's not OK for men to rape women

It's not OK to burglarize someone's house

It's not OK to steal someone's car

It's not OK to assault random strangers

It's not OK to .....shall I go on?

Criminals don't care what is "OK". Rapists are no different than other criminals, they perform their crimes because...they want to and think they will get away with it. And even if caught, the punishment is not sufficient to deter them. Everyone, man and woman, should be able to protect themselves from a violent criminal.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Rape is a crime where the strong prey on the weak. Virtually all crimes of violence are.

You can try to talk strong people out of preying on the weak, or you can teach the weak to be stronger. Personally, I think we should do both.

This is why I think every girl should be rewarded with a semi-auto pistol, ammuntion, free training and a CCW permit upon reaching puberty. Then we could identify rapists easily by tagging to toe of the dead person near the crying girl who is holding the smoking gun.

Cheetahs would be less anxious to run after the herd of gazelle if each gazelle was packing heat.

Feminists need victims to maintain relevance, so non-victim narratives will annoy them. Pretty easy to figure that one out.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
A demonstration of a very limited understanding of culture, generally, and rape culture, specifically. It's much more complicated:

"The concept of rape culture links nonconsensual sex with the cultural fabric of a society. Using rape as a descriptive of culture suggests a patter of learned behavior created, organized, and transmitted from generation to generation as part of the expectations with being male and being female. Rape culture is not an either-or phenomenon but exists in varying degrees, from the institutionalization of rape to its perfunctory punishment as crime."
The Concise Encyclopedia of Sociology, 493.
Please enlighten me with examples were families are passing down and teaching their children to rape? There maybe a rape culture in prison, but not in the rest of the country.

Quote:
cul·ture noun \ˈkəl-chər\
: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.

: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)
The mere fact that the some men/women are rapist does not make it a culture nor have you all pointed out a group of related people who all share the thoughts that rape is okay... Pointing out isolated examples does not prove that theirs a "culture of raping women" in America...

Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,636 times
Only read the OP.

Ms. Nevada is spot on. Everyone should be able to stand up against the threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies