Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times

Advertisements

I hope she doesn't feel the need to apologize or "clarify" her statement; it was clear to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
The objection isn't to women learning self-defense. The objection is to society always making rape prevention 100% women's responsibility, rather than men's. Teaching women self-defense is all well and good. But how about teaching men not to rape? We rarely hear much about that side of things...

Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
The objection isn't to women learning self-defense. The objection is to society always making rape prevention 100% women's responsibility, rather than men's. Teaching women self-defense is all well and good. But how about teaching men not to rape? We rarely hear much about that side of things...
Ohhhhhh! (Sigh) You mean to say that men are NOT taught not to rape? Please! Its not some kind of secret that rape is a crime. A heinous one. Rapists DO NOT CARE. They can't be taught not to rape. They are shorted out that way. Men who rape shod be gelded, women who rape other women or participate in a rape of another woman. WITH a man should undergo female circumcision. The same applies to either who assault children.

Honestly, where does this idea that the crime of rape can be educated away come from? It can't be done.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ohhhhhh! (Sigh) You mean to say that men are NOT taught not to rape? Please! Its not some kind of secret that rape is a crime. A heinous one. Rapists DO NOT CARE. They can't be taught not to rape.
But that's just the problem.

There is no clearly defined class of men--aka "rapists"--who we know will always rape, versus another clearly defined class of men--aka "non-rapists"--who we know will never rape. When rapists are convicted, their friends, family members and acquaintances frequently express shock. They had no idea the convicted rapist was capable of such actions.

We cannot know, ahead of time, who the potential rapists among us are. In practice, saying rapists will always rape no matter what just shifts the entire burden for rape prevention onto women. It lets men completely off the hook. That isn't right, and it isn't working.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:37 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, back in reality…
Men who are vile and evil enough to rape are not going to be taught to stop, nor were they taught to rape in the first place. There is something seriously broken in their wiring that isn't going to be fixed with a teaching moment.
In an ideal world, women should not have to worry about defending themselves from predators.
In an ideal world, people shouldn't have to lock their doors at night either.
We don't live an in ideal world.
It's much more realistic to empower people to not become victims of crime than it is to think we can "teach" all of the bad people in society to behave.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
"Women shouldn't need to learn to protect themselves against rape #missnevada educate and respect yourself as a woman #rapeculture"

Feminists Freak Out Over Miss Nevada Suggestion Women Learn Self Defense to Avoid Rape - Katie Pavlich

Wow!
What is wrong with women learning to defend themselves?
Yeah women shouldn't need to protect themselves from rape.

I also shouldn't have to lock my door at night because people shouldn't burglarize homes.
I shouldn't have to avoid bad neighborhoods because people shouldn't mug other people.
There are a lot of things we SHOULDN'T have to do but we do them because that's the way the world is
unfortunately.

What do you think has better odds of success…
We rehabilitate or "teach" all of the violent men in the world who would rape a woman to change their ways or we teach women how to defend themselves and how to avoid becoming a victim of rape?

Its wrong for women to learn to defend themselves because men shouldn't rape?
I guess we no longer need the police or laws either because people shouldn't commit crimes.
I sometimes wonder if feminists are women's worst enemy.
Wow.

[youtube]
=TrftumqoQFo[youtube]

Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Meanwhile, back in reality…
Men who are vile and evil enough to rape are not going to be taught to stop, nor were they taught to rape in the first place. There is something seriously broken in their wiring that isn't going to be fixed with a teaching moment.
In an ideal world, women should not have to worry about defending themselves from predators.
In an ideal world, people shouldn't have to lock their doors at night either.
We don't live an in ideal world.
It's much more realistic to empower people to not become victims of crime than it is to think we can "teach" all of the bad people in society to behave.
Read the answer I gave NVpumbler. It applies to your statement as well.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
But that's just the problem.

There is no clearly defined class of men--aka "rapists"--who we know will always rape, versus another clearly defined class of men--aka "non-rapists"--who we know will never rape. When rapists are convicted, their friends, family members and acquaintances frequently express shock. They had no idea the convicted rapist was capable of such actions.

We cannot know, ahead of time, who the potential rapists among us are. In practice, saying rapists will always rape no matter what just shifts the entire burden for rape prevention onto women. It lets men completely off the hook. That isn't right, and it isn't working.
I'm not letting anyone off the hook. My experience was with a violent rape assault. A true predator. He was hunting a target of opportunity with a violent attack in mind. Sadistic and vicious. He WANTED to hurt. He had a record of having done so before. My girl fit the profile of previous attacks. Very petite, health care field, parking lot assault. My question has been constant, WHY was he free?

Anyway, before I get wound up, moving on....What is it that men/male children should be taught about rape that is not glaringly obvious? That if we witness a rape in progress we should stop it by any and all means? If we hear someone bragging about a rape, we should beat them within an inch of their life and drag them to the police? If a woman confides being raped to us that we should do all in our power to help her and see justice done? That rape is a violation of a woman that can NEVER be toleratedand that it goes against everything it means to be a man?

I thought this was common teaching already. Am I mistaken? Or am I an anachronism?

Old 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times
Quote:
Read the answer I gave NVpumbler. It applies to your statement as well.
I already read it. The I agree with NVpumbler. The notion that rape can be educated away or that rapists can be taught not to rape is ridiculous and dangerous.
We should be doing everything we can to empower women towards rape prevention. The childish notion that it's not fair because it puts the onus on women instead of on the rapists would be like me complaining that it's not fair that I have to lock my door at night because criminals just shouldn't commit burglary.
That's just the way the world is. It often isn't fair or ideal. People have to spend time and energy preparing for and preventing things that other people should not be doing.
Other than empowering women to not be victims, the other option would be pressuring your representatives to enact and enforce tougher laws for rape and vote them out of office if they do not.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Learning self defense won't end the rape culture we have in this country. It would be better for our country to teach men that it isn't okay to rape someone.

I will say the article sounded to be hard Ms Nevada because she is also right that in our rape culture, it is important for women to learn how to defend themselves from their attackers because we are incapable of teaching our men that it isn't okay to rape a woman.
I think Miss Nevada provides a good short term solution. As for "educating" men about sexual assault I do not see how that will help. People murder and steal, there will be awful deviants in our society.

There are campaigns about domestic violence, sadly, it still happens. I am not certain educating people will prevent crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies