Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:37 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,369,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You are just upset because you think insensitive stuff like this is funny. It isn't funny to me because my ancestors actually were slaves, and it's a major sore spot for America. It's something we've never gotten over and I don't see "getting over it" in the future. If having consideration for others is "PC", then I'll wear the PC banner proudly. If you take issue with that, go kick rocks.
You werent a slave. No family member you know now ever knew a slave. None of their grandparents knew a slave.
I am not going to tell you to get over it because there is nothing to get over except for your own desire for a victim card. You were never a slave.
Jews were slaves many generations ago. Perhaps they should adopt this ridiculous butt hurt attitude as well.
No they are too busy moving on and being successful.
To further display my callous but sensible nature, I will point out that having been left at the hospital at birth and put up for adoption, I came into this world with only the skin on my back. And the same opportunities as the black kids I knew in my town. We went to the same schools, watched the same TV channels, etc. I went into the military and all the black guys I knew cleaned the same toilets I did for the same pay. I inherited nothing from the blood and sweat of americans 200 years ago. No plantation wealth, not a speck of land.
I have never done anything even remotely small to oppress a black person. Its silly to even propose. Why would white people want to see blacks living in poverty? What would I have to gain by making people so hungry they might resort to crime against me to survive?
The only thing you know about slavery firsthand, is how you have imposed it upon yourself willingly.
Society has never attempted to hold children accountable for the crimes of their parents, let alone great great great great great grandparents.
Let alone hold sympathy for victims who were the same generation. How stupid is that? The people who did that to them died with them.
Nobody alive now had anything to do with it. Yet you surely want to point some fingers at the living whose only possible association is the color of their skin.
That is racist.
Yes blacks, in varying degrees by region, often see more hurdles in life than whites. Yet eight generations since a half million americans killed each other freeing them- eight generations!!! It becomes improbable to believe the causes for this have not now become mostly from within.
You neednt accept a word of this for it to be true. But those who insist on living in the past must repeat its mistakes. It is clear a majority of the black community are working toward a better future for themselves and all americans by looking at the world through colorblind glasses and realizing their success is theirs and theirs alone to make or break.
And there are those who pretend to fight racism and oppression by looking for it everywhere and creating it where they cant find it because if it ever really ended they would be out of a job, a hobby, and/or an ideology.
The theme of this post is called tough love. I really do want the best for my fellow countrymen who are black, as well the rest of the country. The race issue takes up far too much of our energy. Blaming people- even indirectly- for injustices you did not suffer and they did not commit can only be destructive. Why is this not obvious?
Those who coddle this race baiting false victim agenda are merely looking to hijack someone elses cause for their own political capital. As self defeatism is their personal goal, you should find better allies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 06:42 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,369,510 times
Oh and this deserves a second discussion. You say you dont ever see "getting over it" in the future.

So what do you propose America- since you obviously cannot blame individuals- do to solve this?

And why shouldnt this apply to jews today for their ancestors slavery? And since africans sold blacks to be sent here, what should AFRICA do as well?

Old 10-07-2018, 06:45 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,328,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I've had a sign like that in the game room for 30 years. Unattended children will be sold as slaves. Anybody who is offended need not come back.

If you can't see that as a joke, you are lost.

And I like Kinky Friedman 'They ain't making Jews Like Jesus, Anymore" too. can't be too bad, the grandkids like it, too.
LOL yes - Kinky Friedman is a funny guy, although I can see how people would take offense at the slave thing, here.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:45 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,257,687 times
Quote:
Stuff like that isn't funny at all. It is really disturbing. I am the descendant of slaves. If I ever saw that sign in a restaurant, I would walk out, never come back, and tell other people not to eat there. However, there would be some people who say "it's just a joke" or "don't take it so serious". My thing is that maybe if that person fears losing money, said person will think twice.

I also know there are some persons who know that this is quite insensitive and crass. Some will excuse it by saying "the more offensive it is, the funnier it is", or "humor is suppose to be offensive".

By the way, what was going through your mind when you were part of that "auction" as a kid?
They would get my business. Unruly children destroy meals.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,457,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The left is generally humorless and unfunny. The last thing we need is for them to be deciding what is funny and what isn't. PC is out and free speech is making a comeback.
Why does everything done in bad taste suddenly fall under the category of "not pc"?

Btw, not a liberal, but somehow able to see when something is just generally inappropriate.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:56 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,660,560 times
I'm a Jew, a descendent of slaves.
I think it's funny. People need to get over themselves.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,999,333 times
I am always amazed and amused by those who seem to think that the United States is the only country in the entire world that had slavery, and that Negroes were the only slaves.
Of course, neither of those statements are true.
Slavery goes back to pre-history. We just don't know when the first slaves were taken, nor do we know where. But, we do know that every society that ever existed had some form of slavery. We also know that Caucasians and Orientals were kept as slaves in many societies. We also know that slavery still exists in many parts of the world.
Compared to slaves in other areas, those in the United States were pretty well treated. At least they weren't castrated, hamstrung, blinded, or had their tongues cut.
OK, so you have slaves in your ancestry.
So do a great many other people,including me (Irish bond-servant). Make no mistake, a bond-servant that has the deck stacked in such a way that he or she can never earn freedom IS a slave! In fact, go back far enough and nearly everybody has a slave ancestor. It really is not a badge of honor.
Is the quoted sign funny? Well, yes, in a ridiculous (there are no slave markets in the United States) sort of way, it is. Not quite as funny as the one stating that unruly children will be given an espresso and a puppy (or a kitten). That, at least, is possible.
A lot of the "humor" of the past would not be allowed today, due to our current over-sensitive PC culture. Would Don Rickles have a career today? I think not. Could "Blazing Saddles" be made today? How about "Doctor Strangelove"? If you think about it, I bet you could think of many movies and tv shows that simply could never be done today!
I'm not sure our society is better for it.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 AM

30,332 posts, read 23,812,713 times
While I understand the establishment was trying to make humor with the sign, the fact that thousands of kids are forced into slavery every single day makes this sign not funny. I wouldn't have run to the media about it, but I would have said something to the owner about it. Not in a shrieking way that some people in this country seem to like to do, but to just point out some facts - too many kids are kidnapped and sold into slavery on a daily basis.

21 million people are now victims of forced labour, ILO says

Quote:
21 million people are now victims of forced labour, ILO says

According to new ILO estimates, three out of every 1,000 people worldwide are trapped in jobs into which they were coerced or deceived and which they cannot leave.

...5.5 million (26 %) are below 18 years...
Quote:
...Forced labour is the term used by the international community to denote situations in which the persons involved – women and men, girls and boys – are made to work against their free will, coerced by their recruiter or employer, for example through violence or threats of violence, or by more subtle means such as accumulated debt, retention of identity papers or threats of denunciation to immigration authorities. Such situations can also amount to human trafficking or slavery-like practices, which are similar though not identical terms in a legal sense. International law stipulates that exacting forced labour is a crime, and should be punishable through penalties which reflect the gravity of the offence.
"Forced labor" = slavery.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:20 AM

18,472 posts, read 7,116,146 times
Quote:
Why? Because I dictate how I feel about this situation and you don't like it? Or because you're offended that I don't find "humor" in that sign?

If I'm such a "drama queen, think about what that makes you, who felt it was necessary to resort to name calling, a very petulant course of action.

Ummmmm...no.

Being more upset about something than most rational people would be is what makes someone a drama queen.

That being said, if the sign really twists that many people's undies, they should change it out to the one in my local watering hole that expresses the same sentiment:

"Unsupervised children will be given an energy drink and taught how to swear".

Old 10-07-2018, 07:53 AM

20,189 posts, read 9,092,439 times
in the history of the world there have been many more white slaves than black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies