Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:46 PM

1,261 posts, read 569,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't care what other countries do. They don't have our Constitution. They are free to do what they want.

Christmas, as I have said numerous times in this thread, is a secular holiday. And it was designated a holiday a long time ago. It has no bearing on what we do going forward.

I don't believe in your fairy tales. Forcing me to acknowledge them on a federal level absolutely smacks of theocracy.
I gave examples of other countries with similar Constitution as the US and still has it as a holiday. Christmas may be a secular holiday for you, and so may be Good Friday / Easter for some. Nobody forces you to believe in anything or to observe anything. If your company decided to close you can always volunteer working such as cleaning streets, working at soup kitchens, or simply enjoy a 3 day weekend in spring.

There is no Constitutional issues with this as it’s already declared a state holiday in many states. It’s been argued on the Supreme Court and has been favored. It’s just a matter of time that the congress or Trump declares it as it has not been brought up.

Again you are entitled to your own opinion.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:48 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Because it was a troll thread with no valid reasons unlike my post that provided valid and great reasons.
Guess those valid and great reasons must have gotten removed during the mass deletion because they sure aren't currently explained in this thread.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:53 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,603,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The only national holiday we need to add to the calendar is election day. Make it easier for everyone to get to the polls.
Excellent idea, or would be if the Constitution allowed for the creation of true national holidays.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:54 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,099,827 times
Quote:
I gave examples of other countries with similar Constitution as the US and still has it as a holiday. Christmas may be a secular holiday for you, and so may be Good Friday / Easter for some. Nobody forces you to believe in anything or to observe anything.
Again, I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHER COUNTRIES DO. I'm not a Canadian or an Australian or a Swede. I'm an American, and I don't what my government to start sanctioning religious holidays.

Quote:
There is no Constitutional issues with this as it’s already declared a state holiday in many states. It’s been argued on the Supreme Court and has been favored.
Really? Citation, please.

Quote:
It’s just a matter of time that the congress or Trump declares it as it has not been brought up.
No Republican in his right mind would advocate for this. And I'm willing to bet Trump doesn't even know what Good Friday is about.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I gave examples of other countries with similar Constitution as the US and still has it as a holiday. Christmas may be a secular holiday for you, and so may be Good Friday / Easter for some. Nobody forces you to believe in anything or to observe anything. If your company decided to close you can always volunteer working such as cleaning streets, working at soup kitchens, or simply enjoy a 3 day weekend in spring.

There is no Constitutional issues with this as it’s already declared a state holiday in many states. It’s been argued on the Supreme Court and has been favored. It’s just a matter of time that the congress or Trump declares it as it has not been brought up.

Again you are entitled to your own opinion.
Do you understand that there are no national holidays in the US? We have Federal holidays. A Federal holiday guarantees the day off for employees of the Federal government only, although many states adopt them for their state employees, and obviously, so do most banks.

Adding another Federal holiday at taxpayer expense would probably make lots of people very angry, particularly those who are guaranteed no PTO at all. Politically, it would be a very foolish move.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Do you understand that there are no national holidays in the US? We have Federal holidays. A Federal holiday guarantees the day off for employees of the Federal government only, although many states adopt them for their state employees, and obviously, so do most banks.

Adding another Federal holiday at taxpayer expense would probably make lots of people very angry, particularly those who are guaranteed no PTO at all. Politically, it would be a very foolish move.
Yes I understand that we only have federal holidays and no statutory holidays, which is what I meant. I did not ask to add additional holiday but to replace with an existing one.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Excellent idea, or would be if the Constitution allowed for the creation of true national holidays.
No need to have “true” national holidays because it’s basically same as federal holiday kind of. Each country calls them differently. Statutory, national, public, bank, legal or federal.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,237,820 times
Quote:
Making Good Friday as a national holiday has nothing to do with theocracy. Canada, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, and dozens and dozens of other countries observing Good Friday (and most also Easter Monday) has nothing to do with being a theocracy. Christmas Day is already a national holiday here, does it make us a theocracy? No. Even in India and Hong Kong Good Friday is a national holiday where Christians are minority.

Why I dislike our Constitution is off-topic. Many people know what I don’t like about it.
Why do you need the government to acknowledge your personal religious beliefs? Is your faith so weak that you need the government to hold it up?

What's the point?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Yes I understand that we only have federal holidays and no statutory holidays, which is what I meant. I did not ask to add additional holiday but to replace with an existing one.
Then you go right ahead and write to your Representative and Senator. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,099,827 times
I'm still waiting for an answer to this:

Quote:
It’s been argued on the Supreme Court and has been favored.
Where is your citation for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.