Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 02:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
True, but "Who we are" wouldn't have gotten her admitted to Harvard Law, which was why she became Native American.
Her ethnicity was not a factor in her teaching at Harvard Law.

Btw, she graduated from University of Houston and got her law degree from Rutgers and her ethnicity was not a consideration in her admittance.

Elizabeth Warren Hired By Harvard Not Because Of Ethnicity, Boston Globe Reports | WBUR News

Quote:
"She was not on the radar screen at all in terms of a racial minority hire," Randall, Kennedy, a law professor who was in charge of recruiting minority candidates to Harvard Law School, told the Globe. "It was just not an issue. I can't remember anybody ever mentioning her in this context."
Quote:
The Globe reports that it examined hundreds of documents, many of them never before available, and talked to 31 law school professors from that period at Harvard. All but one said her Native American heritage was not discussed as part of the decision to hire her. One said he was unsure if the issue came up, but if it did, had no bearing on his vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 02:36 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
hahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/MikeBastasch/sta...40263436550145

Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
From the Boston Globe itself:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...SVO/story.html

All the way at the end of the article:

Quote:
Correction: Due to a math error, a story about Elizabeth Warren misstated the ancestry percentage of a potential 6th to 10th generation relative. The generational range based on the ancestor that the report identified suggests she’s between 1/64th and 1/1,024th Native American.
For those who freak out when they see the name "Breitbart" and assume everything on Twitter is fake.

And 1/64th does not allow you to claim "minority" status, especially for years.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I didn't either, and wouldn't put anything like that on an application. However, I do think there is a difference about believing what you're told about family history and outright lying like Trump tends to do.
But she is doubling down. She should have just admitted she used poor judgment in doing what she did because she didn't have anything other than a family tale to go on. I am not even comparing her to Trump because this is about her and her story to deal with - she chose to keep it going and release this information. I would respect her a lot more if she admitted she was wrong to use NA in the first place and now to just let it go.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
From the Boston Globe itself:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...SVO/story.html

All the way at the end of the article:

For those who freak out when they see the name "Breitbart" and assume everything on Twitter is fake.

And 1/64th does not allow you to claim "minority" status, especially for years.
And 1/64th would be on the very generous side.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
It got her into college. It gave her an advantage over her white counterparts. She was a set aside with affirmative action. Gave her an edge. Started her career. Her credentials without the lie would have put her in a less howdy dowdy college thus not being a star. This is why she lied.
No, it was not even considered in getting her into college or law school or teaching at Harvard Law. See the Boston Globe article I posted.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'm familiar with the Gedmatch site. I've used it myself. The article says nothing about ethnicity, though. Depending upon how much dna you have in common with another person tells you how closely you may be related, yes, I understand that.
Granted, ethnicity is not the best term to describe the fact that a group of people with closely related ancestors have accumulated gene sequences that are not found in other groups of people with a different set of closely related ancestors.

The terms we have traditionally used to describe the ways in which groups people differ from other groups of people are not the best way to describe genetic realities, but they're the terms that most people understand.

Nevertheless, specific gene sequences are real entities, and their presence means something. However, because of chromosomal crossover during gametogenesis, their absence is not diagnostic. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that Warren's family could be telling the absolute truth about their NA ancestor, even if Warren had no genetic sequences characteristic of a NA group. But in fact she does carry genetic sequences that are characteristic of the groups we call Native American.

One of the things that strikes me the most about this discussion is how many people really don't understand what geneticists are talking about, and that this is not a binary discussion.

Human geneticists don't subscribe to the classic definition of race for exactly this reason - you can't draw a definitive line anywhere. But it is still a true statement that certain gene sequences are characteristic of specific groups descended from specific ancestors.

Fortunately, these kinds of discussions will become moot as the races we currently recognize become diluted. I think it is interesting that Warren has these gene sequences, and I can certainly see how a person with this kind of family story would find it interesting and even emotionally involving, because there is no question that the people we call Native Americans suffered, and still do suffer, because of who they were and are.

Personally, I think it's high time that people stopped being so wound up about race. I look forward to the day when everyone thinks that epidermal melanin and epicanthic eye folds are no more meaningful than height, and that the best use of genetic testing is for medical treatment and anthropological studies.

Not to worry, humans will still find plenty of sticks to beat each other up with. I'll just be glad when it isn't "race".

And I've said this before, and I'll say it again - I would totally support the conversion of race/ethnicity-based affirmative action programs to poverty-based affirmative action programs.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-15-2018 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But she is doubling down. She should have just admitted she used poor judgment in doing what she did because she didn't have anything other than a family tale to go on. I am not even comparing her to Trump because this is about her and her story to deal with - she chose to keep it going and release this information. I would respect her a lot more if she admitted she was wrong to use NA in the first place and now to just let it go.
I tend to agree.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Her DNA test proves she’s the whitest woman in New England. Congratulations.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Exactly

But the Left thinks out-Trumping Trump is not only possible...it's what can help them win.

Still tone deaf 3+ years after Trump announced his run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies