Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 10:09 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,543,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
He was rude not to do that. Then he gets argumentative. Don't men understand the concern woman have about security in their building?
I hope she sues her gutless employer. I would have promoted her and given her more responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Random requests?
ID? Insistence on knowing his name and apartment number? And, of course, her crowning achievement on calling the police once she'd seen him enter his own apartment, settlng once and for all the argument about whether he should be in the building.

Would I have swiped in on my own? I probably would, I have spent decades working in high-security areas, it's completely second nature. Doesn't make her any less of a nosy busybody.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
ID? Insistence on knowing his name and apartment number? And, of course, her crowning achievement on calling the police once she'd seen him enter his own apartment, settlng once and for all the argument about whether he should be in the building.

Would I have swiped in on my own? I probably would, I have spent decades working in high-security areas, it's completely second nature. Doesn't make her any less of a nosy busybody.
He saw his social media opportunity and pounced.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So what if she saw the key fob. As I stated earlier, I've lived in buildings with keypads. As I stated earlier, we were told, by the landlord, do not let anyone into the building if we don't know them. That is the whole GD point of a secure building. She was doing what she was supposed to be doing - not allowing someone in when she opened the door because she did not know him.

How about you stop making excuses for his poor behavior just because he's a black man. It doesn't matter what race or gender the person is, you don't let them in if you don't know them. If they live there, they can let themselves in.

She was following the rules - as I stated earlier, I've lived in a few of these types of buildings, and every single time, I, as all the other residents, have been told never to let anyone in with you if you don't know them. Every single one of them has said this.

Again, there is a reason for the keypad. What is the point of having a secure building if you let anyone behind you come on in when you don't know them?

I agree with you that I wouldn't give out my apartment number, and I don't fault him for that. I also don't fault him for not giving his name. That's not her damn business what apartment I live in or what my name is. Totally agree.

But guess how this could have been over in mere seconds and a non story? Close the door and key yourself in. Then he could have videotapes her apologizing, but no, that's not what we want in this country anymore - common sense and understanding. No, we all want to claim some victimhood status.

He was not a victim because he was black. He was not a victim at all. When you have a secure building, you don't let anyone and everyone come in behind you if you don't know them. How the hell people can't understand that is ridiculous.
Stop condoning her ghetto behavior. It is not her job to physically block anyone from the apartment building and it is foolish to do so. She should have called security as we all are aware that is the appropriate measure. The woman asked for the key fob and should have moved from the entry way upon seeing it. If she had further questions, the remedy was to call security rather than following the man to his apartment.

You are clearly obsessing over his race when my post is devoid of any such discussion. The point is that security is paid to handle these situations for a reason.

You are also making assumptions. How did he gain entry initially? Some building allow access during certain times. Sometimes people leave doors open. We have no idea what the circumstances were but she was wrong from the start. He said he had already buzzed in. She said he didn’t. She was walking her dog around. How would she know?

People such as yourself are too race obsessed. There are proper ways to handle these situation. The woman did not handle properly from start to finish and she is out of a job because of it. That’s her own doing.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The point is, HE refused to see this from her point of view. she was trying to keep strangers from piggybacking on the residents to gain entrance. He just wanted to play the poor me card, and record her.
Part poor me and part, get the privileged white woman. He is the racist and he is a young man perpetuating a negative stereotype. If he had been a gentleman none of this would have happened. He didn't want the white girl telling him what to do, even though she was being reasonable. I wonder if he would have been more respectful to a black woman or if he is just an all around jerk.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:15 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
I don't know for sure what happened before the video started.

Some people are presuming that he was tailgating her entrance--I don't see that for sure.

Nor do I see for sure that he had keyed in his own entrance.

I've worked in secured buildings all my adult life, and the hard instruction has always been, "no tailgating, close the door behind you, everyone must enter by his own badge swipe/combination/key."

Either one of them should have insisted on that process, if, in fact, he was attempting to tailgate. The fact that neither mentioned it is part of why I'm not sure that's what occurred.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:20 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Stop condoning ghetto behavior. It is not her job to physically block anyone from the apartment building and it is foolish to do so. She should have called security as we all are aware is the appropriate measure. The woman asked for the key fob and should have moved from the entry way upon seeing it. If she had further questions, the remedy was to call security rather than following the man to his apartment.

You are clearly obsessing over his race when my post is devoid of any such discussion. The point is that security is paid handle these situations for a reason.

You are also making assumptions. How did he gain entry initially? Some building allow access during certain times. Sometimes people leave doors open. We have no idea what the circumstances were but she was wrong from the start. He said he had already buzzed in. She said he didn’t. She was walking her dog around. How would she know?

People such as yourself are too race obsessed. There are proper ways to handle these situation. The woman did not handle properly from start to finish and she is out of a job because of it. That’s her own doing.
It IS her responsibility to ensure that people she doesn't know do not come in after she's opened the door. That is exactly her responsibility. If it was not her responsibility as a tenant, there would be no locked door, no keypad, no key fobs, nothing. If it was not her responsibility, they would have a guard at the door. Being a tenant in a secured building, it is definitely your responsibility to ensure that people you don't know don't enter the building behind you when you open the door.

Clearly you have never lived in a secure building, or if you did, you completely and totally disregarded the wishes of the landlord, property owner, and the entire fricken point of a secure building.

Maybe there wasn't security there, did that occur to you? The majority of buildings that I lived in with a keypad had no security officer.

All he had to do was close the door and open it back up again. As a resident in that building, where he also enjoys the security, he should have understood that. But then you can't claim victimhood if you do something as simple as allow the door to close and let yourself in because you understand the fricken point of a secure building.

As for race, I'm not the one who started trashing on someone's race as many posters here have done to the white lady. I wrote what I wrote in response to the people shrieking over a white woman not wanting someone to come in behind her simply because the other person was black. I guarandamntee you this would not even be a thread if the other person was also white, so spare me that sanctimonious horse spit.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know for sure what happened before the video started.

Some people are presuming that he was tailgating her entrance--I don't see that for sure.

Nor do I see for sure that he had keyed in his own entrance.

I've worked in secured buildings all my adult life, and the hard instruction has always been, "no tailgating, close the door behind you, everyone must enter by his own badge swipe/combination/key."

Either one of them should have insisted on that process, if, in fact, he was attempting to tailgate. The fact that neither mentioned it is part of why I'm not sure that's what occurred.
That is exactly right.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
He saw his social media opportunity and pounced.
Oh noes, people were made aware of the woman's behavior! Our amateur Nancy Grace followed him to his apartment and then called the police to go harass the guy in his own home. All he did was make her behavior public.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,846 times
Notice how the defenders have conveniently forgotten that she didn't call the cops after he allegedly piggybacked. She called the cops after he went into an apartment using a key. Complete and utter waste of police resources. Imagine if everyone called the cops anytime they saw someone in their building they didn't recognize use a key just on the off chance that the key might be stolen. How many people in big apartment buildings recognize all of their neighbors? Basically none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies