Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to the second and third caravans? I haven't heard anything about them in weeks. Did they join the first one or did many just go back home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 05:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Whatever happened to the second and third caravans? I haven't heard anything about them in weeks. Did they join the first one or did many just go back home?

I fear that many of them are slowly finding ways into the US. Why they went to Tijuana - the most fortified section of border we have - in the first place is a mystery, unless the organizers were only interested in making a statement. The migrants probably have come to realize this and that coming across in one large group is never going to happen. They have to dissipate and move to other border areas and filter across in small groups. Coyotes can't bring a group of 1000 across but they can easily bring groups of 10 across.

Many are also drifting back home. I suspect those with family ties in the US are finding other ways to get across and those without any ties (who may have thought the US was going to help them get a new life started) are heading home.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Are those our only two choices? OK, then, let's overthrow the Honduran president and install one who will implement free market principles and the rule of law. While we're at it, let's eradicate the criminal element in that country with extreme prejudice. Let's clean up Honduras and make it someplace that people will migrate to, rather than flee from.

I'd rather do that than pay off those ungrateful, greedy, parasitic caravan people.
I posted exactly what you are saying about five month's ago, and people on this forum called me foolish for even thinking that.
They asked the same question, "Why should the United States get involved in fixing other countries"?
I tried to explain that in the long end we would be saving money by making those countries places where people would not want to leave, but all I got was a bunch of flack.

Bob.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Marc, not a bad start, here are my opinions
1) You MUST speak English fluently. I would amend this to say you either speak it fluently, or you speak some, and are enrolled in English speaking classes.
2) You must have enough money for you, or you and your family, to exist for 2 years with no job. So that would be somewhere in the range of 50 grand for a single person. Maybe 25 grand per person for a family. No, we should let in some poor people if they are of good character, willing to work, and aren't going to drain the system.
3) You must have decent job prospects. Demonstrable skills. A record of independent existence. Agree.
4) You must support the American economic system of Capitalism. And you must be able to show support for the Constitution, free speech, individual rights, private property rights. So yes, some kind of Civics test, and it should be essay based. Agree
5) You must have private health insurance. Not sure on this one.
6) You must contractually agree to be ineligible for any welfare program for 20 years. Interesting idea, I'd put some limited exceptions here but generally I agree.
7) You must agree to immediate deportation upon conviction for any non-trivial crime for 10 years. So you are a probationary pre-citizen for awhile. Agree. Any misdemeanor or felony -- you are gone. Hit the road, and don't come back no more.
ALSO 8) You must agree to a full health care screening to make sure you aren't bringing in disease.
lolol anyone who met all your conditions would not want to come to the US. You guys entertain this fantasy that there are millions of skilled, well educated professionals from western europe who are just waiting in line to come here and there aren't. And setting a mandated $50,000 for a single person will eliminate most immigrants from Africa, Asia, or India

Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 PM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,781,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lolol anyone who met all your conditions would not want to come to the US. You guys entertain this fantasy that there are millions of skilled, well educated professionals from western europe who are just waiting in line to come here and there aren't. And setting a mandated $50,000 for a single person will eliminate most immigrants from Africa, Asia, or India

I'm a well skilled, educated Western European who migrated LEGALLY to the US 15 years ago. Am a dual citizen now. Legal immigration.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm a well skilled, educated Western European who migrated LEGALLY to the US 15 years ago. Am a dual citizen now. Legal immigration.
There are not many people from Western Europe trying to immigrate to the US and there haven't been for a long time.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:

excellent. we have no issues with legal immigrants who want to come here and work, and make life better for themselves. its the illegal ones that need to be stopped.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,781,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are not many people from Western Europe trying to immigrate to the US and there haven't been for a long time.

Untrue. The problem is that the road to legal immigration is difficult:
  • Family based immigration takes 5-10 years
  • Work visas are extremely hard to get

It's easier and faster to be named Jose, don't speak English and claim asylum at the border.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
It's easier and faster to be named Jose, don't speak English and claim asylum at the border.
I understand that the process is difficult, but it's difficult for everyone who applies, right? I can't find the numbers for applications filed by country, but I did find data for naturalizations by country. Just an example, you can look at the data yourself, but in 2015, 10,095 immigrants from the UK were naturalized (no other western european country has anything even close to that number) but that pales in comparison to the 31,241 Chinese immigrants or the 42,213 from India. https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-stat...k/2015/table21

Old 12-13-2018, 10:36 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

Not only that but the majority of them merely jump our border instead or over stay their visas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies