Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Vetra, I based her on a real person, a woman I was dating when I was 15. I met her at sam-goody back in 85 she was an assistant manager there. aaaahhhh memories.
I thought you were only 23? You would be nearly 50 if you were 15 in '85.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lolol. The poor OP; he takes so much flack for his house/property. But seriously, Cyph, even if some woman thought you're cool, she might freak when she saw your bunker. Though it's probably a little more approachable, now that it's rained, and the lawn has sprung to life. But still... A couple of flowering shrubs on either side of the door would be nice. And those iron bars on the windows--they make it look like you're trying to imprison yourself.

Not a prison but a many fortress, it's not to keep me in its to keep others out.

Quote:
I know you're not interested in this kind of advice, but I'd suggest maybe taking a second job for awhile, so you could save money to trade up, house-wise. Just a little. IDK, Cyphie; the situation doesn't look hopeful. I think you're so conditioned to your environment, you don't perceive it as we do.
That works in reverse also, I grew up in the burbs, saw first hand how that life turned people into slaves to their property.... NOOOOO THANKS!!!

Quote:
So, who are these women you've met, who are a good fit for you? They're gamers, and are low-maintenance? If that's true, then you just have to be patient, and keep looking for ones that aren't taken. Good luck! I mean that sincerely. If they exist, you just have to figure out how to find them before someone else snaps them up.
The wives or longtime GF's of the few associates I have that are happy in relationships, but like I said before most of them were lucky enough to meet their match in highschool or college age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
My perception from his previous posts about his house, is that he doesn't want to upgrade or improve the curb appeal because he doesn't want to increase the value of his home. Reason being that it will raise his property taxes. It's really a poverty mentality, in my opinion. He is actually choosing poverty over abundance. I don't know anyone else but the OP who actively avoids increasing the value of their largest asset.

The OP can correct me if I have misunderstood, or if he has come around to a different viewpoint on this from what I remember.

You have it wrong, I don't choose poverty infact I have more than I would if I was blowing money of non urgent things for the house, I keep my house up to code, I keep my yard up and fix things when they break or leak etc etc.... but the less I spend on property tax the more I have to spend on things that I enjoy. but thanks to the school here getting an avionics program and doing better on their graduation rates, and new homes being built in the area, my taxes went from $400 a year to $2,000 a year. a house I paid $12,000 for(tax forecloser auction) is now valued at $61,000.

My whole point of buying this house in this area was to downsize my life, not having to work long hours and still make ends meet while I search for love.

I would be even more miserable busting my a$$ to keep up with the jonesez out in suburbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd0JPees65M

Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Thanks for clarifying. If your house is paid for, that's awesome. Living debt free and only paying $2000 a year is pretty amazing.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. If your house is paid for, that's awesome. Living debt free and only paying $2000 a year is pretty amazing.

But up until a few years ago I was only paying $400 - $600 so it kinda sucks.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
But up until a few years ago I was only paying $400 - $600 so it kinda sucks.
Oh cry me a river!

Old 10-29-2018, 10:28 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Oh cry me a river!
This is a very real problem, though, that pushes some homeowners out of their homes, even if the homes are fully paid for. I have a friend in Seattle, whose home has appreciated so rapidly and extremely, that he's worried he won't be able to keep up with the property taxes. This is a very serious problem for retirees in RE markets like Seattle, Denver, NYC.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a very real problem, though, that pushes some homeowners out of their homes, even if the homes are fully paid for. I have a friend in Seattle, whose home has appreciated so rapidly and extremely, that he's worried he won't be able to keep up with the property taxes. This is a very serious problem for retirees in RE markets like Seattle, Denver, NYC.
I sympathize with those who are no longer in the workforce due to age/health and living on fixed incomes. But cyphorx is young, able-bodied and in what would typically be his highest earning years.

Last edited by Butterflyfish; 10-30-2018 at 01:04 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I sympathize with those who are no longer in the workforce due to age/health and living on fixed incomes. But cyphorx is young, able-bodied and in what would typically be his highest earning years.

Actually I'm not young, I'm 48, 2 years away from being half a century. the only time 48 is considered young is when someone dies at 48.

Am I in good shape? well yes I work out and cycle to keep myself in good shape, but realistically I'm in the last 10 maybe 15 years of being in good shape. if I was to hope into a time machine and go back to 1990 and pick a fight with the 20 year old me if the fight lasted longer than 5 minutes 20 year old CyphorX would kick my a$$(I'm a better fighter skill-wise and just as strong if not stronger but speed and stamina is not what it was 28 years ago). And I have no wish to spend the last peek years of my life busting my ass under constant stress.

That's why I downsized my life to where I can get by working a schedule that would allow me to enjoy those "still healthy" years and the only thing missing is someone to share these years with while I can still run, cycle, make love until mourning without the aid of blue pills or fear of a hip going out..

And part of that was paying off my house and picking one in an area where the property taxes were low and picking a small enough house to where the upkeep was affordable. now in 17 years when I crack into my 401K, IRA and CD it wont matter as much as my income will actually increase, plus in 8 years I qualify for a reverse mortgage maybe(there has been talk about raising the age from 55 to 65 so fingers crossed it won't happen but I am holding off on that as long as I can anyway).

Old 10-30-2018, 04:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Actually I'm not young, I'm 48, 2 years away from being half a century. the only time 48 is considered young is when someone dies at 48.

Am I in good shape? well yes I work out and cycle to keep myself in good shape, but realistically I'm in the last 10 maybe 15 years of being in good shape. if I was to hope into a time machine and go back to 1990 and pick a fight with the 20 year old me if the fight lasted longer than 5 minutes 20 year old CyphorX would kick my a$$(I'm a better fighter skill-wise and just as strong if not stronger but speed and stamina is not what it was 28 years ago). And I have no wish to spend the last peek years of my life busting my ass under constant stress.

That's why I downsized my life to where I can get by working a schedule that would allow me to enjoy those "still healthy" years and the only thing missing is someone to share these years with while I can still run, cycle, make love until mourning without the aid of blue pills or fear of a hip going out..

And part of that was paying off my house and picking one in an area where the property taxes were low and picking a small enough house to where the upkeep was affordable. now in 17 years when I crack into my 401K, IRA and CD it wont matter as much as my income will actually increase, plus in 8 years I qualify for a reverse mortgage maybe(there has been talk about raising the age from 55 to 65 so fingers crossed it won't happen but I am holding off on that as long as I can anyway).
If you say all this on a date you will surely ruin your chances for another.

Please refrain from all this in your social life. It’s irrelivant and boring and would definiately ruin your chances.

Let me put it this way... it would scare away the ‘unicorns’

Old 10-30-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
If you say all this on a date you will surely ruin your chances for another.

Please refrain from all this in your social life. It’s irrelivant and boring and would definiately ruin your chances.

Let me put it this way... it would scare away the ‘unicorns’

Well I make it a point not to talk finances on dates anyway, its not the most romantic of subjects.
as far as I'm concerned the only appropriate time to talk finances with a woman is if she is a prostitute and I don't frequent those(though I don't judge those that do as I understand the motive it's just not my thing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies