Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 08:29 PM

7,458 posts, read 7,071,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I personally think this is an overeaction and it’s people being oversensitive to a fact at the moment that the majority of terrorist events have been white males.
A majority of mass shootings are not, by definition, "terrorist events." Generally it's a mentally unstable person - not someone acting to achieve political ends.

ter·ror·ism
/ˈterəˌrizəm/Submit
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 07:01 AM

21,559 posts, read 10,686,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I want links and sources where Obama told anyone to murder police officers. I'll wait. Trump, on the other hand, criticized each and every one of the people that the pipe bomber sent his bombs to.
Obama criticized police. Of course he didn’t say to kill them, but people did. Just as Trump didn’t say to kill anyone he criticized. Neither Trump nor Obama is responsible for crazy people. Jeez!

Old 11-01-2018, 07:04 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,812,092 times
The people who started, own & operate CNN are mostly White Men. Ted Turner looks pretty White to me.

So why does Lemon continue to accept a paycheck from them?

i.e. Talk is cheap. Especially so on CNN.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 AM

22,182 posts, read 9,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They also tried to do it with Elliot Rodger.

Basically any time a mixed-race person does something horrific they're white.

And any time one does something admirable or impressive (in a positive way) they're not.

Its magic!
Thank God for Photoshop.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 AM

18,919 posts, read 8,558,016 times
It's just CNN trying to gin up their ratings...unless Lemon is sleeping with a terrorist...Lemon's boyfriend is white

Old 11-01-2018, 09:09 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,732,426 times
Quote:
I think that’s his argument. He’s talking about white men the same way people talk about minorities and Muslims all over this forum and the internet. I have done the replace with Muslims and black men and it sounds exactly like a mainstream right wing position to me. The travel ban for example that he references is a mainstream position. Maybe it’s cause i’m black/liberal but I see it more as a mock Trumps kind of speech. “Well we can’t ban white males, so how do we decrease instances of violence among them”. He seems to be parodying the right wing viewpoint...
I get what you're saying, NN, but you can't really compare the two. Comments that some white people make about Muslims and black people are ignorant but observational in nature.

When you say something like the following - it's a call to action.

Quote:
"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them."

I don't recall any white folks in the media saying black people are a threat to this country and we have to start doing something about them.

On another note - the dolt says we have to stop demonizing people only to go on and demonize white men.

Frankly, as a white male, this trend of bashing white males is getting old and is unwarranted. A large percentage of the cushy lives we lead are due to things created by white men.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 PM

6,512 posts, read 4,135,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I get what you're saying, NN, but you can't really compare the two. Comments that some white people make about Muslims and black people are ignorant but observational in nature.

When you say something like the following - it's a call to action.

I don't recall any white folks in the media saying black people are a threat to this country and we have to start doing something about them.

On another note - the dolt says we have to stop demonizing people only to go on and demonize white men.

Frankly, as a white male, this trend of bashing white males is getting old and is unwarranted. A large percentage of the cushy lives we lead are due to things created by white men.
You maybe right, but I’m just interpreting it differently than the rest of y’all. I see it as to lower Muslim violence DT said, we must have a travel ban. How are we going to lower the recent terrorism by majority white males (although I agree proportionally terrorists/non gang related mass shooters have been disproportionately Muslim, Black and East Asian moreso than White males), is more of a wuestion Don Lemon is posing. We can’t simply “ban” white males from entering the country (when he says this I think personally he is mocking Donald Trump’s rhetoric that banning people from certain countries will correlate heavily with less terrorism). I don’t think a lot of people are racist, I don’t think most Republicans, or Liberals are racists either, so to me, Don Lemons actions and being Creole in heritage speaks louder than the words he used in this one statement (Not saying you can’t hate your own race but Lemon knows he has decent white ancestry because of his Creole heritage and I doubt he hates white males because he interacts with them more than the average black American) I feel like someone could call Tucker Carlson or something racist because of the rhetoric he has used that is similar to this and I personally don’t think Tucker Carlson is racist at all.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:35 PM

39,504 posts, read 27,876,030 times
Quote:
You maybe right, but I’m just interpreting it differently than the rest of y’all. I see it as to lower Muslim violence DT said, we must have a travel ban. How are we going to lower the recent terrorism by majority white males (although I agree proportionally terrorists/non gang related mass shooters have been disproportionately Muslim, Black and East Asian moreso than White males), is more of a wuestion Don Lemon is posing. We can’t simply “ban” white males from entering the country (when he says this I think personally he is mocking Donald Trump’s rhetoric that banning people from certain countries will correlate heavily with less terrorism). I don’t think a lot of people are racist, I don’t think most Republicans, or Liberals are racists either, so to me, Don Lemons actions and being Creole in heritage speaks louder than the words he used in this one statement (Not saying you can’t hate your own race but Lemon knows he has decent white ancestry because of his Creole heritage and I doubt he hates white males because he interacts with them more than the average black American) I feel like someone could call Tucker Carlson or something racist because of the rhetoric he has used that is similar to this and I personally don’t think Tucker Carlson is racist at all.
In my opinion, Don Lemon back-pedalled

This is what he said last night

"Even though more people died in attacks by Islamic extremists (119 vs 106), the vast majority of deadly attacks in this country from 2001 to 2016 (62 vs. 23) were carried out by far-right violent extremists[,"

notice he replaced "white men" with "far-right violent extremists"?

Had he said that earlier, not many people would have had problems with him. You simply don't say "White men = biggest terror threat." without being called and / viewed as a bigot.

Honestly speaking, I don't think any American politicians have said "Muslims in general = biggest terror threat" it has always been extreme islamic terrorists or radical Islamic terrorists.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:43 PM

18,114 posts, read 27,618,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Sounds like this case;

`

Either way I could tell Zimmerman was not white, but many people bought into the way the media framed a white thug killing an angelic black boy.

`

`
Cracka - minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He said,

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right."

Yes, he is lying. First of all, just be 100% fair here, if he has said, "radical right-wing (or left-wing) extremists" instead of "white men", I would have agreed with him. He unfortunately, did use "white men."

He said, "the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right." This statement is a lie.

Take out the words "WHITE MEN" and REPLACE them with "BLACK MEN" and see how fast the HOST who says this GETS FIRED.

---------------------------

Add: Also, white men are not an ideology. Conservativism, antifa, black lives matter, Black Identity Extremism, White Nationalism, Islamic extremism , and Progressivism are all ideologies. The ideological motivation is more important than racial motivation.

So what Don Lemon said was bigoted, he failed the ideological/racial separation test. If he said that the majority of terror attacks were committed by extremists, few people would have had a problem with his remarks. But he erred, and revealed himself for what he truly is.
That's the crux there.

Quote:
White men are so terrible, but everyone wants to live where they live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I've noticed that too. It's the same the world over.
Well...

this.

ChiCaga in. 3...2...1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yeah, take Chicago for instance:

October to Date
Shot & Killed: 44
Shot & Wounded: 205
Total Shot: 249
Total Homicides: 50

Chicago Crime 2018 Shortlink
Week in Progress (10/28 – 11/3)
Shot & Killed: 4
Shot & Wounded: 39
Total Shot: 43
Total Homicides: 4

Chicago Crime 2018 Shortlink
Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 422
Shot & Wounded: 2148
Total Shot: 2560
Total Homicides: 493

White guys just guns ablazin'.
YouBetcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
All this race baiting is why people stop watching CNN and other leftist outlets
This. I thought it was just because it insulted my intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think you really understand the point i was making, so I am trying it again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A

Nobody is denying those people who committed terrible crimes happen to be white men, but nothing changed fact that white men are not an ideology. Conservativism, antifa, black lives matter, Black Identity Extremism, White Nationalism, Islamic extremism , and Progressivism are all ideologies. The ideological motivation is more important than racial motivation.

So what Don Lemon said was bigoted, he failed the ideological/racial separation test. If he said that the majority of terror attacks were committed by extremists, few people would have had a problem with his remarks. But he erred, and revealed himself for what he truly is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B

Have you heard of Hasty generalization logical fallacy

(also known as: argument from small numbers, statistics of small numbers, insufficient statistics, argument by generalization, faulty generalization, hasty induction, inductive generalization, insufficient sample, lonely fact fallacy, over generality, overgeneralization, unrepresentative sample)

Example #1:

Christine has a terrible experience with a boyfriend. She decides that all boys are mean.

Mr. Don Lemon believes (and you happen to agree with)

SOME white men committed terrible crimes. Then white men in general must be the biggest terror threat.

--------------------------------------------------

Do you get it now?
by the way, last time i checked, Non-Hispanic whites totaled about 197,285,202 or 60% of the U.S. population. I am assuming around half are men

So what is the justification of judging the entire "white men" group (population of 98,642,601) based on the behaviors of less than 100 individuals? You don't see the problem with that?
I get it.

Two really good posts.

I almost feel proud to be white again. I was gonna walk down to the bus station, strip down and get sunburned just to build my self esteem back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
It appears you and others are arguing from a perspective of unique ignorance and bias confirmation.

Your Independent link is from 2015. You ask for statistics about "black men" or "people of color who have carried out mass shootings..." and you have been provided ample evidence that white men are actually under-represented in mass shootings. (If we're being honest, it appears ASIAN men are actually over-represented by number of incidents compared to percentage of population).

But I'll indulge you:

Let's just look at mass shootings since then. In the intervening years we had the Pulse shooting in Orlando (Muslim Afghani), and the San Bernardino shhoters (also Muslim immigrants). A year ago today an Uzbeki Muslim immigrant took a truck and mowed down over a dozen cyclists, killing 8 of them.

Do you know who Jeff Weisse is? Well, he's a Native American guy who shot and killed 9 people on his reservation in Red Lake.

Chris Harper-Mercer, a black young man, killed 10 at his community college. Also this year, a black man, Dwight Jones, went on a spree killing in Scottsdale. A year earlier in Phoenix, another black man, went on a spree killing of 9 people. Before him in 2017, Latino Esteban Santiago Ruiz shot up and killed 5 people at the Fort Lauderdale Airport.
Hmmm... I don't recall CNN mentioning too much of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If a person is watching Don Lemon and counting on him to help them understand the events of the day? They need to re-evaluate.
We'll hopefully need Don Lemming in another 5 days. Hoping for another White Lashing.

Quote:
I think that’s his argument. He’s talking about white men the same way people talk about minorities and Muslims all over this forum and the internet. I have done the replace with Muslims and black men and it sounds exactly like a mainstream right wing position to me. The travel ban for example that he references is a mainstream position. Maybe it’s cause i’m black/liberal but I see it more as a mock Trumps kind of speech. “Well we can’t ban white males, so how do we decrease instances of violence among them”. He seems to be parodying the right wing viewpoint...
Cool story My Dude!

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-01-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 04:25 PM

18,483 posts, read 7,153,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Can you deny that the incidents of late are anything but white men? He's not demonizing white men. He's stating the truth. Most mass shootings are white males. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

What's the point of talking about mass shootings vs other shootings?

Is it only statistically relevant when more than one or two people get shot?

Or is it to focus on white guys instead of the vast majority of the shootings being committed by a much smaller demographic?

Hmmmmmm.....what could possibly be the motive behind that?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies