Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 10:23 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If an armed gunman breaks into your home it`s already too late....unless you`re sitting in front of the TV every evening with a gun in your hand.
False. There are two examples in the OP disputing your claim. Both were teen girls successfully defending themselves against male armed intruders.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/north-ca...-say/815064451

https://komonews.com/news/local/teen...er-in-spanaway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,011,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
It's on my right hip in a holster. When I'm awake and wearing pants with a belt, I am carrying a gun.

Or you can properly stage your guns in the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bsg_ylNwbY
By the way, I forgot to mention that I-1639 requires that all guns be locked up and unloaded when not in use. Violation is a class c felony. It does not explicitly define "in use," which to me would clearly mean "when not shooting it." But that is to be determined.

Anyway, this common sense provision alone will save lives.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
By the way, I forgot to mention that I-1639 requires that all guns be locked up and unloaded when not in use. Violation is a class c felony. It does not explicitly define "in use," which to me would clearly mean "when not shooting it." But that is to be determined.

It could make many lose theirs too.
You are force to be back to... "When Seconds Count"
Liberty has ways to counter that tyrannical infringement.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:

How many lives would have saved in three of your examples had firearms not been accessible? That of the husband beating the **** out of his wife, the armed home invader and the woman whose throat was going to be slit.

You've avoided answering the question. It's way past time for you to do so.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Given the thousands of gun laws already on the books and flouted by criminals, at least we know what you really mean by "gun control."

Whether we're gun enthusiasts, hunters, or owners of a single gun, your dream will never come to pass.

Put away your MSNBC flash cards.
But this is not really true of Washington State. We have had very little gun control here, and have traditionally been an NRA stronghold. That is changing thanks to an influx of more enlightened and educated Californians, and whip-smart millennial tech workers.

I can see your point in general, but it does not apply here.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How many lives would have saved in three of your examples had firearms not been accessible? That of the husband beating the **** out of his wife, the armed home invader and the woman whose throat was going to be slit.

You've avoided answering the question. It's way past time for you to do so.
Thank you for your question, and I will answer now. I didn't notice it being asked before.

Experts on this say that adding guns only adds to the violence. Yes, we may be able to find the rare case where the flipped penny lands on edge and stays there. But overall, adding to the violence is not an answer.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:33 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
But this is not really true of Washington State. We have had very little gun control here, and have traditionally been an NRA stronghold. That is changing thanks to an influx of more enlightened and educated Californians, and whip-smart millennial tech workers.

I can see your point in general, but it does not apply here.
Many law abiding gun owner are also educated, enlightened (whatever that means) and whip smart. It is very elitist, and wrong to say otherwise. You just tipped your hand as a far left elitist. Way to go.

If Californians are so smart why are they leaving their state, and why is it in such bad shape in many ways?

Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Thank you for your question, and I will answer now. I didn't notice it being asked before.

Experts on this say that adding guns only adds to the violence. Yes, we may be able to find the rare case where the flipped penny lands on edge and stays there. But overall, adding to the violence is not an answer.
So they would have been acceptable collateral damage? I see.

You know, I could take the position that the three shootings I referenced stopped violence and did not add to it.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
I'm all for cramming a 12 gauge solid wood butt shotgun, loaded with a slug, in the hands of every child, and tell them to shoulder their weapon and hit their target.

It will be the last time they pick up any firearm for a long time.
If for none other, they will know from experience, that ain't no toy.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Echoing the folks who posted about teaching rather than "forbidding", I can relate because my first serious introduction to firearms happened as an adult. Prior to that, guns were scary, dangerous and on the rare occasions I ever handled one, it was the same as an ignorant child would. First of all, the amount of time spent learning, discussing, training, maintaining, etc....totally demystifies firearms. Then firing those first 100 or so rounds....yeah, that gets rid of the thrill and it becomes more about control, grouping, safety, skill, etc.

The best way to have guns and keep kids safe is to teach them about guns, hands on, top to bottom. If you have a pistol, have them send 200+ rounds through that pistol. But have them load the magazines, pick up the empty brass, and disassemble/clean/prep/reassemble the weapon when they are done. TEACH them how to hand a weapon SAFELY from one person to another. And be harsh and unforgiving where violations of safety are concerned, explaining that no matter how harsh you may seem, it's small change compared to how firearms themselves reward foolishness. Example, there's a reason you get your face firmly married to the stock of a shotgun when you fire, but feel free to ignore my broken record reminders and leave your face about 1/2 inch off the weapon and then fire. If all you get is a black eye, you're super lucky.

In retrospect, doing 100 eight count body builders because I sat a cleared/locked .45 down on my range table with the barrel NOT pointed "downrange" was the best exercise I ever did, because I can be by myself at a range now, 30 years later, and I guarantee that barrel is pointed downrange at all times. And firing my guns isn't some thrill ride or macho nonsense. I go to the range to remain skilled and proficient with a pretty serious tool with an even more serous purpose. Kids can be taught this kind of responsibility at a very young age, and anyone who has both children and firearms should do exactly that.
Re: the bolded. That is exactly what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies