Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:41 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times

Advertisements

It’s okay for Jimmy Kimmel who was mocking blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY8GGBYvNDw

Jimmy Falon & Sarah Silverman in black face.

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/25/j...man-blackface/

Lester Holt and Hoda in white face as Susan Boyle and Blake Shelton.

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/nbc-...ace-halloween/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 12:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The employer.
So it's acceptable for employers to assume the role of dictators? Dictating everything that can or cannot happen under the American sun? That's the logical conclusion.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If any friend of mine ever dressed in blackface, I would never speak to that person again. It is very offense and very racist. This is not from a position of being "pro-Black". This is everything to do with me not wanting to be hurt by someone. When someone I personally know dresses in blackface, it tells me that they have a covert disdain for Blacks or a lack of respect. This is why I have no sympathy for that nurse who got fired. Maybe that nurse will think next time.

And something else. If someone knows that blackface is extremely offensive and racist, why would said person do such a thing, other than to be racist?
Good for you. Who cares?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So it's acceptable for employers to assume the role of dictators? Dictating everything that can or cannot happen under the American sun? That's the logical conclusion.
If you don't want to get fired do one of two things: 1. Don't get a job. 2. Don't do something stupid and post it on social media.

These people aren't victims. They're just a special kind of stupid.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If you don't want to get fired do one of two things: 1. Don't get a job. 2. Don't do something stupid and post it on social media.

These people aren't victims. They're just a special kind of stupid.
So employers only get to decide what's "stupid"? I say it's stupid to fire someone for a Halloween costume. I think it's stupid to make other people's business your own.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:49 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Good for you. Who cares?
I care. I want to make sure I can trust the individuals around me. I need to know that they respect me and are generally decent people. What is YOUR problem?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:49 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
To me it's a no brainer to not do stuff like this in todays crazy world..
Agree with it or not, use a bit of common sense.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I care. I want to make sure I can trust the individuals around me. I need to know that they respect me and are generally decent people. What is YOUR problem?
I will tell you again what the problem is, but it won't do any good. It's called reciprocity. You don't care about anyone else's feelings or desires or what they consider "racist" etc. Further you are trying to dictate your druthers on to others, while totally disregarding and discounting theirs.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:57 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
So employers only get to decide what's "stupid"? I say it's stupid to fire someone for a Halloween costume. I think it's stupid to make other people's business your own.
What do you not understand about employment at will? If you feel so strongly about it, picket the place of business. I tell you what, dress like a Nazi, have your significant other dress like a concentration camp prisoner, post it on Facebook, then act surprised when your boss fires your arse.

The woman and the guy standing beside her have to be two of the most obtuse people on the planet to think that dressing like that would be OK.

Hint...it isn't, not even close. It's stupid and racist. Apparently her employer agrees. She isn't a victim. It's like shooting yourself in the foot then blaming the gun.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:58 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
The employer didn't put her in jail or enforce corporal (or capital) punishment. They didn't make her part of a chain gang or force her to go work in a labor camp. They didn't burn her house down or force her landlord or mortgage holder to evict her. They didn't make it so she could be convicted of trespassing at the grocery store. They didn't exile her to Canada, Egypt, or Antarctica. So no, the employer is not assuming the role of a dictator.

They are, however, allowed to dictate who works for their company and who does not. I'm going to assume that you would not allow someone to work at a company you owned if they insisted on wearing an "Impeach Trump" t-shirt. Neither would I, mainly because I wouldn't want to alienate half of my customers. And making that judgement call would be your right as an employer.

Two tips:

`1. If you don't want to get fired, don't do stupid things that will offend a large percentage of the population, particularly if you are serving the public, regardless of whether you think it's offensive or not.

2. If you want to be the one making the rules about who works somewhere, go start your own company or get hired as a manager at an existing company. Then you can hire all of the racists you want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies