Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Point taken that education is not the only input to productivity.

However unlike the size of the global labor force or the pace of technological change, improving education is something we have control over.

And regarding comparisons with other countries, I am more interested in the developing countries that have achieved big productivity increases by improving their educational systems.

It may very well be that education saturates as an input to productivity. However given the US's dismal performance education could be the low hanging fruit. We are probably compensating for our poor educational system in other areas which you have pointed out. And maybe the smattering of quality public schools and private schools supply a critical mass of talent, along with immigration brain drain, to keep the economy humming. That this only sharpens inequality is my point.

Many, many marginalized people in the US received awful educations, and they could have had better lives were our system not so dysfunctional. I think it's clear that education can increase human capital, and that quality education is available to the wealthy more than the poor. This worsens inequality, and yes in the aggregate diminishes output from what it could be (although other factors affect output).
I agree with the most of what you've written here.

I think that better education can pull up productivity, a lot, but I don't feel shortcomings in the US education system are strongly correlated with declining productivity; it may not be the right statistic to look at. Then again, you bring up an interesting point about immigration masking the problem. If it were up to me, we'd have a lot more legal immigrants, it's what keeps us competitive. Then again, I'm probably more bullish on immigration than most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:20 PM

18,028 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Victims are victims.

Liberals exploit victims.

Conservatives transcend Victimhood and try to mentor victims looking for a way out and liberals perceive that as blame.
More like lecture and pontificate.
"I am better than you" syndrome.

Quite common amongst conservatives.
Projection Your Honor!

Old 11-01-2018, 06:35 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Public education had a huge effect on raising up the middle class from about 1900 until the 60s. The middle class heyday in the midcentury corresponded with the heyday of public education. Go figure.

The reasons for the decline of public education are legion and I don't want to rehash that debate. I'm more concerned with why we rarely hear about this decline as a driver of inequality. Wage stagnation is blamed on outsourcing, union busting, technology, etc. Underlying wage stagnation is productivity stagnation. And productivity stagnates when people stop becoming more educated.

Is it possible that the middle class is disappearing because the middle class is losing skills due to the decline of public education? I think it's very possible.
Hm. Why? Maybe because people - thus, the media - have short attention spans and prefer simple stories of easy issues or lurid scandal.

I like your theory about disappearance of the middle class, although would you also agree that Republicans tend not to have much interest in funding education?

And perhaps the other eternal question - why do we accept that teachers are paid so poorly? This might interest you.

What Teachers Are Doing to Pay Their Bills
By Jaime Lowe

Teachers across the country are now baristas, Amazon warehouse employees, movie-theater managers and fast-food grill cooks. They’re entering the gig economy in off hours and struggling to stay awake during school days.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...cond-jobs.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies