Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 11:04 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Conservatives transcend Victimhood and try to mentor victims
More like lecture and pontificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 11:25 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
More like lecture and pontificate.
"I am better than you" syndrome.

Quite common amongst conservatives.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:29 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Ironically its the lack of investment in the best and brightest that does the most to create inequality, because having more people stuck underperforming relative to their inherent ability and potential means those people will never have the earning power or income of the top producers.

Meanwhile the system over-invests in the worst segment of students - the mostly hopeless cases, for whom employment is unlikely no matter how many educational resources they consume (just based on IQ...that bottom 10-12% ...there aren't ANY jobs that they can do, and that's something that is IGNORED by the educational policy makers).

Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
The most successful, for students, schools that I know of have integrated curriculum.

Language arts, math and science are easier for the administrators and faculty in most public schools. But the kids never see how they work together to inform. It is hard for them to relate it to their own lives or what they know.

In schools with integrated curriculums elementary students learn how to figure the amount of space needed to grow crops for sustaining life, a better understanding can develop. What crops require what amount of water, air, temperature, etc. to grow.

They can also provide first through third grades together, then upper elementary, and the entire middle school together. No grades or grading.

Smaller classes would be required. Administrators cannot make a ton of money with small schools.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Ironically its the lack of investment in the best and brightest that does the most to create inequality, because having more people stuck underperforming relative to their inherent ability and potential means those people will never have the earning power or income of the top producers.

Meanwhile the system over-invests in the worst segment of students - the mostly hopeless cases, for whom employment is unlikely no matter how many educational resources they consume (just based on IQ...that bottom 10-12% ...there aren't ANY jobs that they can do, and that's something that is IGNORED by the educational policy makers).
Our district puts a ton of money into the best and brightest while often times giving short shrift to the middle performers, which is not a good situation either. I'm watching it happen to my youngest right now. He's smart but not AP Chem material, and this year's class is failing to impress me. The curriculum is not challenging enough, and the other students are unmotivated and disruptive. He's having the same issue with classmates in his English course. Even the teachers, who I know personally, are at their wit's end. They sympathize and are trying to make things better for him, but there's not a whole lot they can do. Group projects are a flippin' nightmare, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:51 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
I find it funny that some of the best public school systems in the country are in states like IA and KS (aka fly over country).

While many of the worst are in the coastal urban areas and are in such shape because of the prevalence of private and magnet schools that create class based tiers for education.

My kids schools had a rich diversity of racial, economic and social classes all with equal access to coursework and a great education....without having to qualify or have the $$$$.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Fixing education in America is a money pit black hole.

And yet we do know that education is a bargain....

Old 11-01-2018, 02:22 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Education is important to TFP and economic growth, but your hypothesis proposes US workers are becoming less educated. I don't see this as being true.
Credentials are multiplying while skills are stagnant or falling. Just look at the PISA scores and standardized test scores.

This has been going on a long time starting with the SAT recentering in the 90s.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:24 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Public education had a huge effect on raising up the middle class from about 1900 until the 60s. The middle class heyday in the midcentury corresponded with the heyday of public education. Go figure.

The reasons for the decline of public education are legion and I don't want to rehash that debate. I'm more concerned with why we rarely hear about this decline as a driver of inequality. Wage stagnation is blamed on outsourcing, union busting, technology, etc. Underlying wage stagnation is productivity stagnation. And productivity stagnates when people stop becoming more educated.

Is it possible that the middle class is disappearing because the middle class is losing skills due to the decline of public education? I think it's very possible.

It's certainly a piece of the puzzle. The liberal will merely say that we need to spend more money, but it seems to me that we've already tried that. The solution must lie elsewhere.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Our district puts a ton of money into the best and brightest while often times giving short shrift to the middle performers, which is not a good situation either. I'm watching it happen to my youngest right now. He's smart but not AP Chem material, and this year's class is failing to impress me. The curriculum is not challenging enough, and the other students are unmotivated and disruptive. He's having the same issue with classmates in his English course. Even the teachers, who I know personally, are at their wit's end. They sympathize and are trying to make things better for him, but there's not a whole lot they can do. Group projects are a flippin' nightmare, as I'm sure you can imagine.
Unless they have GATE programs that build on any accelerated higher level curriculum, then its not the right investment. AP classes are not necessarily enough to accomplish it - When I was a child we had a separate CAMPUS, and so there was true enrichment and nurture for the GATE students - outside of the academic curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies