Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, KayAnn246, you believe fake news.

You believe what you are told is the truth instead of deciding for yourself what is true and what is not.

Even when confronted with the video, you still doubled-down on what you were told he said instead of the words that came out of his mouth.

He never said that anyone got a 10% pay increase.

He never said that anyone went ten years without any pay raise whatsoever.

Of course, maybe I didn't hear correctly...

"You've received one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received...unless you don't want it. Does anybody here...is anybody willing to give up the big pay raise you just got? Raise your hands please. Awh, don't see too many hands! OK. Don't give it up. That's great. Nobody deserves it more. Don't give it up...you haven't gotten one or more in ten years...more than ten years. And we got you a big one...I got you a big one...I got you a big one. Had plenty of people come up, they said we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent, we could make it 2 percent, we could make it 4 percent. I said , "no," make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time. It's been more than 10 years...been more than ten years. That's a long time."

According to the construction of the last sentence, if he claims to have delivered a 10% increase, he also claims to have delivered one greater than 10%.

See how that doesn't work your way?

The antecedent to "one" is "big pay raise" and since not all pay raises are big pay raises, "one" refers only to the "big pay raise" already mentioned.
Jesus H Christ. Yes he did. It was on video. Admit that Trump is a liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 12:07 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I saw the video and listened. Again he lied. I'll bold again in your own post. Once more...He didn't give them a 10 percent raise or more than 10 percent and it hasn't been 10 years since they received a raise. That's clear.

Nothing about the news articles was fake. Your twisting words around to say what you THINK he meant to say is the only fake news.

"He didn't give them a 10 percent raise or more than 10 percent and it hasn't been 10 years since they received a raise. That's clear."

I agree.

He also didn't say that they did receive a 10% pay increase, a higher than 10% pay increase (both have to be true if he is claiming what you say) or that they haven't received a pay raise in 10 years.

Pay raise isn't the subject.

Pay raise isn't the antecedent to "one."

The last time the military received a big raise was ten years ago.

Big raise is the antecedent to one.

"You've received one of the biggest pay raises you've ever received...unless you don't want it. Does anybody here...is anybody willing to give up the big pay raise you just got? Raise your hands please. Awh, don't see too many hands! OK. Don't give it up. That's great. Nobody deserves it more. Don't give it up...you haven't gotten one or more in ten years...more than ten years. And we got you a big one...I got you a big one...I got you a big one. Had plenty of people come up, they said we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent, we could make it 2 percent, we could make it 4 percent. I said, "no," make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent, because it's been a long time. It's been more than 10 years...been more than ten years. That's a long time."

Maybe if you weren't such a poor listener, you would understand that CNN, MSNBC, et. al., distort the facts in order to present slanted, fake news.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:43 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon55 View Post
For a fake news channel like Fox I'm surprised their ratings are as high as they are. I guess all the brainwashed maga dimwits have to get spoon fed their propaganda somehow.

Fox gets ratings that high, because they own the franchise on playing to those dimwits. The legitimate news networks have to split the audience of the more rational and intelligent people.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I saw the video and listened. Again he lied. I'll bold again in your own post. Once more...He didn't give them a 10 percent raise or more than 10 percent and it hasn't been 10 years since they received a raise. That's clear.

Nothing about the news articles was fake. Your twisting words around to say what you THINK he meant to say is the only fake news.
Trump is such a serial liar, that he probably doesn't know himself, whether what he's saying is true. There's probably no distinction in his mind, between truth and falsehood. But there may have been a few times, when he's accidentally told the truth and spoiled his record for most continuous lies.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:52 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Why did he even bring up that he was trying in theory to get more than 10%? Should have framed it differently. Could have just said something like I worked hard on your behalf and got you the biggest pay raise in a while.

As it is, just looks like he was inefficient since it was a fraction of that.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:52 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"

The last time the military received a big raise was ten years ago.

Big raise is the antecedent to one.

Wait, what? In 2018, the military got a 2.4% raise. In 2019 it will be 2.6%. Not much difference and certainly the 2.6% isn't markedly different than last year's raise. On top of it all, the out of pocket liability for military members receiving BAH increased. So instead of 1% out of pocket they will now pay 5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies