Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Civil Asset Forfeiture.

I'm a pretty smart guy, but I cannot fathom how this concept doesn't explicitly violate the Fifth Amendment of the Bill of Rights.
In Oklahoma, the police have a device that can drain your debit cards and any gift cards right at the side of the road when they pull you over. "I think you're using that debit account for drug dealing, boy. Gimme."

Old 11-08-2018, 11:53 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'd rather see alcohol be illegal, than marijuana, although I do not believe that MJ is harmless as some of its fans do. I live in Colorado. I'm not a user of it, though I did when I was younger, not in many years. I think that alcohol is more flagrantly harmful. I haven't seen legalization cause tremendous public safety problems here. If anything, the legal stuff has driven prices up. I think it was easier for kids to get when it was illegal. I had zero problem getting weed when I was a teenager in the 90s and it was completely illegal.
I think alcohol in a way is kind of a necessary evil. Take away people's access to self-medication and, uh, watch what happens I guess. 'What happens' will almost certainly not be better than the status quo.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:06 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Current tax configuration. Everyone should contribute...go to a fair use tax...everyone pays 15 percent on all goods and services, and 5 percent on all income, no deductions. Make nationwide property tax a set percent...like 1 percent. No state tax.
Current admission policy to schools. Require proof of being here legally to attendance school/college/trade school.
Criminal justice...require anyone charged with a crime to be required to show proof of legal residency here. If not legal, deport after trial and incarceration if convicted.
Make keeping dogs tied up outside for more than 12 hrs illegal, and tie out shorter than 15 ft illegal.
Make puppy mills housing more than 5 adult breeding dogs (not fixed), illegal.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In Oklahoma, the police have a device that can drain your debit cards and any gift cards right at the side of the road when they pull you over. "I think you're using that debit account for drug dealing, boy. Gimme."
Sorry, did I miss that this was a test of gullibility, or are you deathly serious?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sorry, did I miss that this was a test of gullibility, or are you deathly serious?
Deadly serious.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's the point of only taxing them when they make a huge amount of money
But based on your logic, since 80% are very poor, we shouldn't tax the ones that make millions every year

But they don't. You don't seem to understand.

And your analogy is a complete non-sequitur.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:56 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Filing bankruptcy and stiffing creditors and in many cases keeping the stuff you never totally paid for. Like furniture, TV's ETC.

I am old school where you pay your bills.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:37 PM

24,634 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Filing bankruptcy and stiffing creditors and in many cases keeping the stuff you never totally paid for. Like furniture, TV's ETC.

I am old school where you pay your bills.
Meh, after a divorce sometimes finances and bills can get really messed up.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Robotic Customer Service Lines. A good way to add some gray hair to your scalp is dealing with these Robots and Human Robots! Last time I waited to talk to a "human", my battery wore down on my phone.
Amen to that!! I usually just end up yelling CUSTOMER SERVICE or hitting "0" over & over until it connects me to a human - or hangs up on me.

I've always wondered if there's an ADA violation in this, when they don't even give you the option of pressing a number instead. What if you had a tracheotomy, or you're non-verbal, etc? Plus I work in a library, so when it insists I speak LOUDER I can't always do that (even my private desk is within earshot of patrons if I speak too loudly). Argh, I hate those things.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Just over a month ago I was on the interstate and saw an accident occur. It was 17 miles to the next exit. Before the advent of cell phones we would have had to wait for a police car or flag someone down to drive the 15 miles. Additionally, the dispatcher connected us to an EMT who would have been able to talk us through CPR (the driver had a heart attack) had we not known what to do already. Because of the phone a police officer was there in a few minutes (he had been driving on the other side of the highway and wouldn't have seen us through the trees) and an ambulance was there in 15 minutes. The cell phone definitively helped saved that man's life.
Hey, I'm not arguing the benefits of having cell phones... I have an iPhone myself, and used it to call in a terrible accident not long ago (and they said I was the first to report it). I was mostly being facetious, because even I sometimes wonder how I/we survived without them! People have also lost some of their problem-solving skills as a result, when it comes to non-emergency things like finding your way around. Not to mention, the inability to remember anyone's phone number offhand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies