Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times

Advertisements

Texting and driving should be illegal everywhere.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Puberty-blockers for "trans" children.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
It should be illegal with all the hidden cost, fess, taxes, up-charging, and and BS that comes with financing a vehicle. It needs to be straighforward process not a, "well how much montly payment can you afford" run-around

It should be illegal to have car insurance, not file a claim for the entire year, yet only get a small portion of the money back. You should get the full $1100 or whatever you paid for the entire year

It should be illegal to manufacture headphones that can be heard by people across the room at a certain volume.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Throwing people in debt for prisons (debtors prisons have only theoretically been done away with, it still happens).

PACs and Super PACs

Politicians legally being able to insider trade.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default What Do You Find Legal That Should Be Criminal?

1. Lobbying

2. Citizens United just has to be overturned.

Both magnify the already unacceptable levels of corruption.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:55 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Copyright restoration because it can be frustrating finding out who the rights holders. Retroactive copyright extensions and copyright restorations are contributers to what are known as "orphan works", which are copyrighted works whose owners cannot be identified or contacted.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well. We had alcohol prohibition in this country from about 1919 to 1933. It was unenforceable and was a major cause in the rise of organized crime in this country.
How do you explain Govt doing the EXACT SAME thing with drugs then?

If they knew this kind of law didnt work or was not effective, why create it for another substance?

Since they had no problem creating 'drug prohibition', no reason why they couldnt bring back alcohol prohibition too.

Besides that, when govt cracked down on opioid prescription drugs...the pharma companies did nothing, they just accepted the new laws, even though they were going to loose billions...so its probable the alcohol companies would react the same way if alcohol prohibition was brought back.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,768,755 times
Spitting in the street.
Paedos being released from prison.. and placed in houses near schools...and parents arent told...

Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Property laws concerning certain animals and trees. Pet cats are allowed to roam, wreak havoc on property and wildlife and it is legal in most places. It is not legal to take measures to stop it if you and your property are the victim. I think the law has to decide if roaming cats are varmits or pets. If pets they cannot be allowed to roam or they legally become pests like a groundhog or raccoon to be dealt with as such and the owner charged.

Tree law is funny as hell. A tree encroaches on a neighbors property and somehow it is the neighbor who is responsible for maintaining the tree. If they don't do it "right", then the neighbor can be sued by the negligent owner. A property owner with a tree endangering another owner, cannot be forced to cut it down. Only after something happens, possibly a person killed, is the owner be held accountable. As well, towns should be responsible for hazard trees which endanger the road. They have an easement so many feet into private property and they should be responsible for trees within that area. Now they put it on the power companies who also have an easement, to maintain but often they balk, towns should be doing it for safety reasons. So it should be illegal to keep a hazard tree which endangers any property and illegal to fail to maintain an encroaching tree.

I also dislike civil or domestic law being applied to crimes, like stealing or violence. Domestic violence is violence, a business stealing money from a customer is thievery- criminal, just like if they took it out of a car or a pocket.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:14 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
How about radios too? Or are phones the only thing capable of distracting a driver?
They're not the ONLY thing, but they certainly (proven with statistics and studies) cause the most distractions and accidents. I can change the channel on my radio without looking, and I don't even have a hands-free system like many people do now. I can also operate the windows, mirrors, and most other general functions of my car without taking my eyes off the road for a second... heck, I can even pull a cigarette & lighter from my purse and light it without looking! What I can't do is text or even select a number/contact on my phone, which is why it stays off limits when I'm behind the wheel. So if you're trying to use this as an argument, it's a bad one.

I can't think of anything to add to the OP's question, though, since I'm not one for over-governing. If I do come up with something, I'll add it later.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-05-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies