Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Collective bargaining.

Workers can unionize (or join bowling leagues, or softball teams, etc.) all they want but they shouldn't be able to make employers bargain with them, and them only.

Employees should be able to work for whomever they can get a job from and employers should be able to hire anyone they can get to work for them.
They can.

Even in times of strike, thee exists strike breakers.

The book, Fast food nation, tells of one method that collective bargaining was squashed very quickly.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:35 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Eminent Domain - when practiced on behalf of a for-profit corporation.

The case up in the northeast was (a) the first such case, and (b) proof that is shouldn't happen. A land developer got the city and then the courts to force a woman out of her home after years of her refusal to sell. Then the development flopped and nothing got built. Tons of government (read: taxpayer) expenditure, the woman lost her house and all for naught because the corporation BK'd.
I believe Eminant domain has a place and purpose.

However what is often seen here in the US is a gross misuse of it.

In some cases a large corporate entity simply needs to prove that the increased property tax revenueto the benefit of the manucipality is enough to steal land from one private owner to another. That is flat out legal theft.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The use of cell phones in cars unless they are parked (yes, even hands-free). I would like to see mandatory factory installed cell phone jammers that activate the moment a car is put into gear. The phones would work fine when parked in case of emergencies.
I agree to a point, except for hands-free.
If we going to make that illegal we might as well make
Any sort of entertainment systems in cars illegal as well. Anything that takes your hand of the wheel

Old 11-02-2018, 06:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Hitting your kids.
Any cell phone use while driving.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:55 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,526,789 times
[quote=glass_of_merlot;53537637]I agree to a point, except for hands-free.
Any sort of entertainment systems in cars illegal as well. Anything that takes your hand of the wheel[
/QUOTE]

I don't think so. It's not just a matter of having your hands on or off the wheel, it's a matter of concentration. A person can eat, smoke, drink or whatever without concentrating on the task. But talking on the phone requires attention, and it's attention that's not being paid to driving. Hands-free is definitely safter from a hands-on-the-wheel standpoint, but not so much as from a paying-attention-to-driving standpoint.

This is not necessarily relevant to hands-free or not, but I once saw a guy in a service van merging onto the freeway while having a phone stuck in his ear, and at the same time was writing into a notebook that was on the steering wheel. Not sure how he was steering ... both hands were busy with something else. But can you imagine where his attention was? It certainly wasn't on driving.

Folks got along just fine before cell phones were invented, and there's really no reason to stay on the phone all the time while driving.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:07 PM

[quote=RocketDawg;53537740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Any sort of entertainment systems in cars illegal as well. Anything that takes your hand of the wheel[
/QUOTE]

I don't think so. It's not just a matter of having your hands on or off the wheel, it's a matter of concentration. A person can eat, smoke, drink or whatever without concentrating on the task. But talking on the phone requires attention, and it's attention that's not being paid to driving. Hands-free is definitely safter from a hands-on-the-wheel standpoint, but not so much as from a paying-attention-to-driving standpoint.

This is not necessarily relevant to hands-free or not, but I once saw a guy in a service van merging onto the freeway while having a phone stuck in his ear, and at the same time was writing into a notebook that was on the steering wheel. Not sure how he was steering ... both hands were busy with something else. But can you imagine where his attention was? It certainly wasn't on driving.

Folks got along just fine before cell phones were invented, and there's really no reason to stay on the phone all the time while driving.
People who are eating a burger and fries with one hand, trying to not spill on themself, at the same time as they are trying to drive with the other hand, is not at all more focused on the road. How can you even think that? Or smoking, again, you only will have one hand available to drive with.

I was hooked up to Bluetooth through the speakers the entire way home today, driving straight through downtown Chicago traffic in rush hour. I had both hands on the wheel the entire time while talking on the phone. I didn't even take my phone out of my bag once.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:13 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Having worked in a Vent/Trac unit at a LTC Rehab Facility, I would say keeping a patient alive, unnecessarily, with tubes, just to keep some people employed, should be, IMO, a criminal act.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,708 times
[quote=RocketDawg;53537740]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
/QUOTE]

By your reasoning, people shouldn't be allowed to talk to each other while they're in a car together, either. makes no sense!

Old 11-02-2018, 08:44 PM

[quote=vrexy;53538315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

By your reasoning, people shouldn't be allowed to talk to each other while they're in a car together, either. makes no sense!
.....there you go. Thanks for making my point. Lol

Old 11-02-2018, 09:10 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,744 times
The current way property tax works; rent you pay to the government on some arbitrary value of your home.

If it were based off square footage, income or, at the very least, some mathematically consistent method, I wouldn't hate it as much.

Some places, specifically NYC and SF, a 1/2 mil barely gets you 1000sq ft, so 2% property tax means you gotta pay the government $10K a year, on something you supposedly already own? F that!

----------

Eminent domain by non-governmental entities. Period. ...even some of the public use projects should be called into question.

How stupid would it be if you had a nice car, some dillhole wants it, gives more money than you paid to the dealer and, magically your car is now his?

Eminent domain is that level of BS but, with people's homes.

----------

Civil forfeiture.

Items not inherently deemed contraband (explosives, narcotics, unlicensed chemicals, et al) SHALL NOT be confiscated before a conviction!

This goes in particular to small town cops who just like to jack people for cash, or in some cases their nice cars, like Emporia, close to the southern border of Virginia on I-95, or Macon, on the 16 in central Georgia. To hell with places like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies