Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify my support of making it illegal for the driver / operator of motor vehicle to be engaged in 'distracted behaviors', here is a detailed description of how smart cars should work instead of making them entertainment systems on wheels.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post51974622

Old 11-03-2018, 12:37 AM

178 posts, read 147,553 times
I think animal abuse should be made illegal where it is not now illegal, and where it is illegal, I think the laws should be stiffened. I think factory farms should also be outlawed.

Regarding lobbying, I think it should be illegal for former members of Congress to become lobbyists in any area where they had Congressional oversight. They should be allowed to become lobbyists after they leave Congress, but only in areas where their Congressional duties did not extend.

Here’s an example of why I feel that way.

Billy Tauzin was a member of the US House of Representatives from 1980 to 2005, representing Louisiana's 3rd congressional district. In the beginning of his career he was a conservative Democrat, in 1995 he became a Republican. Because of his seniority he became chairman of the US House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

The following two paragraphs are from Wikipedia:

“Two months before resigning as chair of the U.S. House Committee on Energy and Commerce, which oversees the drug industry, Tauzin had played a key role in shepherding through Congress the Medicare Prescription Drug Bill (which became Medicare Part D). The bill prohibited the government from negotiating lower drug prices and bans the importation of identical, cheaper, drugs from Canada and elsewhere. The Veterans Affairs agency, which can negotiate drug prices, pays much less than Medicare does. The bill was passed in an unusual congressional session at 3 a.m. under heavy pressure from the drug companies.

Tauzin resigned from Congress in February 2004. In January 2005, the day after his term in Congress ended, he began work as the head of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, or PhRMA, a powerful trade group for pharmaceutical companies. Tauzin was hired at a salary outsiders estimated at $2 million a year.”

This may have been legal but it sure as heck ain’t right.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
1: pet experimentation
2: adultry
3: MJ . Next will be legalizing cocaine since it will bring PROFITS. Oy vey!
4: My cooking ? (jk!)
5: Guns in the hands of kids....Guns in the hands of Big kids.
6: Corporal Punishment in schools

Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 AM

765 posts, read 473,178 times
ANY LIE OR EXAGGERATION OR FEAR MONGERING DURING AN ELECTION. period.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:22 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How often do hear it: But it's legal to do it! Perhaps escaping taxes through loopholes.

I would have to go with lobbying!

How about you?

Do away with the right to petition legislators. Got it.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:24 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have never heard ONE person that thinks lobbying in general is a good thing or that it should be a legal thing to do. It makes me wonder if the will of the people is really the priority, I dont think it has been for many years.

Then you should make an effort to expand your circle of acquaintances. You're maybe living in an echo chamber.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:40 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Lobbying is contacting your legislator to advocate for yourself, your business or your rights. If your group is large, such as famers for example, it is efficient to hire a person to advocate for you. That person must register as a lobbyist. People who advocate against lobbyists don't want groups like farmers to have access to their legislators except for letter writing.

As to "but it's legal to do it", I am old enough to remember vice squads and paddy wagons. All kinds of perversions are now disregarded by the authorities. Why is that? Our jails are full. Criminals know that. Alien criminals know that. Everybody in the world knows that (except our mainstream media).

Rather than enforce laws against all manner of vice, local and state governments are legalizing what used to be felonies. A consequence of this is job shortages in critical occupations. We have a national shortage of truck drivers. Druggies cannot keep a Class 1 license. Will we solve the problem by legalizing tractor trailer operation by druggies? That isn't a viable solution.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:54 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I'm not for excessive laws and I've driven distracted before - most of us probably have. Like driving a car in general, your stupid behavior shouldn't be illegal unless you crash and hurt something/someone. THAT should be illegal.
However there are a lot of studies on the dangers of driving distracted and cell phone use is way more dangerous, in a class of its own.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Lobbying is contacting your legislator to advocate for yourself, your business or your rights. If your group is large, such as famers for example, it is efficient to hire a person to advocate for you. That person must register as a lobbyist. People who advocate against lobbyists don't want groups like farmers to have access to their legislators except for letter writing.

As to "but it's legal to do it", I am old enough to remember vice squads and paddy wagons. All kinds of perversions are now disregarded by the authorities. Why is that? Our jails are full. Criminals know that. Alien criminals know that. Everybody in the world knows that (except our mainstream media).

Rather than enforce laws against all manner of vice, local and state governments are legalizing what used to be felonies. A consequence of this is job shortages in critical occupations. We have a national shortage of truck drivers. Druggies cannot keep a Class 1 license. Will we solve the problem by legalizing tractor trailer operation by druggies? That isn't a viable solution.
Perversions? What exactly are you talking about? This is 2018, not 1918.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:18 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
That's how it is suppose to work. In reality, lobbying is simply legalized bribing of public office holders. This is why most in this thread aren't saying they want lobbying made illegal but rather certain aspects of it. It is one thing to organize and be heard of concerns of a group it is another to buy votes/politicians.

Here is a list of top recipients:

https://www.opensecrets.org/industri....php?ind=K02++

When you are talking HALF a million dollars per year, it isn't about paying for their time. It is absolutely about lining the pockets of politicians and thus opening the door to corruption and detraction from the will/benefit of the constituents.

Quote:

Ok... let's stop beating around the bush... you are talking about Marijuana. I know of no advocates for legalization of Marijuana asking for it to be completely unregulated. Legalization of Marijuana doesn't mean it will also legalize driving under its influence no more than legalization of alcohol made driving under its influence legal.

National shortage in truck drivers resulting in hiring of druggies? Please that is completely irrational. Letsay for some idiotic reason they legalized driving while under the influence of drugs. There is thing called INSURANCE and insurance companies which are private businesses. The liability would be so great that they either wouldn't offer insurance to commercial drivers with a history of drug abuse or the premium would be so high they wouldn't be employed as commercial drivers.

Even today, a history of DUI and DWI (alcohol) could result in a forfeiture of commercial driver's licenses. Why would legalization of certain controlled substances be the exception?

Even today it is still covered by laws in certain states. If you are high walking the street and arrested for possession, you accrue a possession of a controlled substance charge. If you are DRIVING high and arrested for possession, you not only get booked for possession but also driving while under the influence. Sometimes, the penalty for DUI is higher than simply small amount (under 50mg) possession of marijuana.

This post is pure fear mongering.

Last edited by usayit; 11-03-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies