Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times

Advertisements

If there is one thing that will quickly trigger a sizable chunk of Trump supporters it's gender nonconformity. Whether a person is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender or if they simply don't conform to accepted gender norms, they are in the cross-hairs these days. Why is it that many Trump supporters are so preoccupied with other peoples' lives? If a person is gay or wants to transition or simply wants to live in a way that doesn't conform to gender stereotypes i.e. feminism, why shouldn't they be able to? If somebody wants to live and raise their family like the Cleavers more power to them, but why do people get so upset that others want to live in this century?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 02:33 PM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Why do you think it's a Trump thing? My dad is a Democrat - he was an alternate for Carter but didn't want to be around gays or fairies as he called them. And god forbid one of his kids marry a black person! He's mellowed as he's gotten older and accepts my childhood friend who finally came out of the closet as well as his significant other. See even Democrats can learn to like everyone - too bad so many feel the republicans are the only ones who have a problem with race and gender.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Why do you think it's a Trump thing? My dad is a Democrat - he was an alternate for Carter but didn't want to be around gays or fairies as he called them. And god forbid one of his kids marry a black person! He's mellowed as he's gotten older and accepts my childhood friend who finally came out of the closet as well as his significant other. See even Democrats can learn to like everyone - too bad so many feel the republicans are the only ones who have a problem with race and gender.

In 2018, it's predominantly Republicans. When was the last time a Democrat ran on an anti-gay platform? Old-school socially conservative Southern Democrats are all but gone. Even Kim Davis, after denying same-sex couples in her county marriage licenses, switched to being a Republican.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:38 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If there is one thing that will quickly trigger a sizable chunk of Trump supporters it's gender nonconformity. Whether a person is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender or if they simply don't conform to accepted gender norms, they are in the cross-hairs these days. Why is it that many Trump supporters are so preoccupied with other peoples' lives? If a person is gay or wants to transition or simply wants to live in a way that doesn't conform to gender stereotypes i.e. feminism, why shouldn't they be able to? If somebody wants to live and raise their family like the Cleavers more power to them, but why do people get so upset that others want to live in this century?
Insecurities.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:44 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I'm a Trump supporter and I don't have a problem with anyone living their life as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and they don't bother me. I have gay friends and they are good people. I used have black friends years ago when I lived and worked in a different area and guess what SHOCKER they were decent people too.

The Left is trying really hard to pigeon hole Republicans as old out of touch homophobe racists that hate women.

It's just not true.

As for gender nonconformity who cares how someone wants to live their lives. I think most of us Conservatives don't have a problem but we do have a problem how the Left wants to ram it down out throats.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Guess you forgot about Milo.
Richard Grenell the gay ambassador to Germany.

It's all in your head OP.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:49 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'm not a Trump supporter, but I'm not a Leftist either. Transgenders do not bother me precisely. Now traps -- transgender women (so biologically men) who try to trick men into having sex with them on the false premise that they're biologically female -- that does bother me because it's blatantly dishonest. It especially bothers me if they're hitting on me. People outright denying that gender dysphoria is an actual mental illness bothers me. People who chalk up the suicide rate -- 55% have thought about suicide and 29% have attempted it -- of these poor people 100% to "it's only cuz society picks on them!" bothers me. A group of people with the same mental illness are 22 times as likely to kill themselves as everyone else and Progressives want to say it's all cuz people were mean to them and hurt their feelings. That suicide problem does not decrease after gender reassignment surgery. Trans-genders and other gender-nonconforming folks have some issues that are being ignored when we proclaim their gender identity to be "perfectly normal and natural." The current politcally correct line of BS is actually hurting people and that's a very bad thing.

I think you're going to have your super-Christians who will be offended by the existence of 250+ genders. Muslims will probably just kill them outright. But for the rest of us, there's a bit of an infrastructure problem. After thousands of years of recorded history with just two genders, suddenly there are hundreds of them. We built the world around us based on the concept that there are only two genders. We don't have 250 types of restrooms at Walmart, for example. Creating such a thing is a problem. Forcing teenage girls to share showers, toilets and changing rooms with biological males is going to bother some people. With a potentially infinite number of genders, the only solution is to create public showers and restrooms to completely isolate each individual and that is immensely expensive. You're very likely to see very long lines to use such facilities once you make the needed change. It'll cost billions and billions of dollars. And many will point out that we're being forced to spend ludicrous amounts of money based on what seems to just be a new fad -- one that might die out in the next few decades. People are going to be annoyed with how complicated things get when everyone on the planet potentially has their own unique gender identity. But it doesn't really bother me otherwise.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:54 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
I don't care how someone wants to live their life or how they claim to identify. As long as you don't force your lifestyle or choices on me, keep doing your thing. You try to mandate that I refer to you as some made-up gender, under threat of a lawsuit, you better believe I am going to buck that.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
I am not a Trump supporter, nor am I bothered by whatever psychological moniker is given this week to sexual behaviors that deviate from the norm.

If anything about "gender noncomformity" bothers me, it is the demand that I agree to a false conclusion based on flawed reasoning and total scientific ignorance. I don't agree to things that are demonstrably false, but the sociology wing of gender nonconformity says that if a man claims to be a woman, eats chemicals and is mutilated surgically, I must agree that the man is now a woman. I refuse to do so simply because it is untrue. It is untrue biologically, thus untrue logically. I simply refuse to agree with what is inherently false.

That said, I won't disrespect or otherwise be harmful to someone who suffers from that psychological issue, any more than I would be mean to a schizophrenic or paranoid. Not agreeing with and/or taking part in the delusions of the psychologically impaired is not the same as harming them.

None of these folks bother me per se. The folks that demand I take part in their delusions...that bothers me. I don't like being ordered what to think, particularly when that "what to think" is so demonstrably false.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'm not a Trump supporter, but I'm not a Leftist either. Transgenders do not bother me precisely. Now traps -- transgender women (so biologically men) who try to trick men into having sex with them on the false premise that they're biologically female -- that does bother me because it's blatantly dishonest. It especially bothers me if they're hitting on me. People outright denying that gender dysphoria is an actual mental illness bothers me. People who chalk up the suicide rate -- 55% have thought about suicide and 29% have attempted it -- of these poor people 100% to "it's only cuz society picks on them!" bothers me. A group of people with the same mental illness are 22 times as likely to kill themselves as everyone else and Progressives want to say it's all cuz people were mean to them and hurt their feelings. That suicide problem does not decrease after gender reassignment surgery. Trans-genders and other gender-nonconforming folks have some issues that are being ignored when we proclaim their gender identity to be "perfectly normal and natural." The current politcally correct line of BS is actually hurting people and that's a very bad thing.
I can't speak for transgenders because I'm not transgender, but as a cis gay man, I can say for certain that societal stigma is a huge contributor to suicidal thoughts/attempts, especially lack of acceptance from family. Most people never have to deal with an experience as traumatic as being completely disowned and ostracized from their family and friends because of a personality trait they didn't choose. LGBTQ individuals many times do, and religion and conservatism is the reason why. I say this as somebody who did conversion therapy myself. I reached a point where I either had to go no contact with my religious family or submit and do conversion therapy. I could not put up with their bullying because of my sexual orientation one more day (I would have committed suicide) and I couldn't be cut off from the family, so I submitted and did conversion therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I think you're going to have your super-Christians who will be offended by the existence of 250+ genders. Muslims will probably just kill them outright. But for the rest of us, there's a bit of an infrastructure problem. After thousands of years of recorded history with just two genders, suddenly there are hundreds of them. We built the world around us based on the concept that there are only two genders. We don't have 250 types of restrooms at Walmart, for example. Creating such a thing is a problem. Forcing teenage girls to share showers, toilets and changing rooms with biological males is going to bother some people. With a potentially infinite number of genders, the only solution is to create public showers and restrooms to completely isolate each individual and that is immensely expensive. You're very likely to see very long lines to use such facilities once you make the needed change. It'll cost billions and billions of dollars. And many will point out that we're being forced to spend ludicrous amounts of money based on what seems to just be a new fad -- one that might die out in the next few decades. People are going to be annoyed with how complicated things get when everyone on the planet potentially has their own unique gender identity. But it doesn't really bother me otherwise.

I think a good question is why is 250+ genders (I don't think it's that many but lets say it is) even a thing at all? It's because conservatives have a very strict, narrow idea of what it means to be male or female and people who fall outside of the accepted stereotypes may feel insecure in their gender identity. If people could just be who they are, I don't think you'd see the more than two gender thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies