Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 12:39 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I'll be voting for the preservation of our democracy and a return to decency, honesty and patriotism - country above party - in our government. I won't vote a straight ticket, as a candidate for local office in what's usually my party just got himself convicted on multiple charges of sexually harassing women in his office whom he supervised. His opponent seems to be a decent man and a qualified candidate, so he will get my vote.

Local races are non-partisan - city council, local judges, mayor, and so on. Did my homework and will vote for those whom I think are best qualified for each of these races.

Voting is a privilege. My ancestors fought for this country and our democracy, from the earliest days onward, and I would dishonor them and their sacrifices if I failed to vote.
It is a representative republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 07:15 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I’m a 54- year old male who has always voted with zeal since 18 years old. I look at my young lazy nephew and nieces and wonder why they don’t make the effort? Maybe I have it because I came from a Mex-American background in a racist state (Texas)? Maybe it’s because my parents dragged me to an event where politicians came out to speak in our mid-sized Texas town? I remember seeing Sargent Shriver in 1972, a tipsy Betty Ford in 1976 and Pres Carter in 1980. Since those times, I have volunteered or donated to campaigns that I agreed with. What propelled you to participate in politics over the years?
I know some people view not voting as a way to punish their side. It might kind of work.

Honestly though, in national elections your vote really doesn't matter much. If you're a busy surgeon or something and have the choice of spending an hour to go vote, after a few hours of watching the news and learning about the issues to make an informed choice, or just getting a break from your busy lifestyle to read a few more chapters of a book...I wouldn't blame you for just not voting, particularly in national and state elections and matters.

I vote because I know our politicians tend to veer their goals toward what the public wants, so my voting helps tell them what the public wants and which candidates to nominate in the future, and maybe even tells them what they can and can't get away with. I vote for the same reason surveys asking what the American people want might be useful. I don't vote to determine who gets elected or what laws are passed though, except in local elections and on local matters. When I want to affect whether or not bills pass or people are elected, or regular people's mentalities, I come here and argue with other people. Maybe that works. Maybe it doesn't...but at least it might convince multiple people of something.

That volunteering though...that might be a way to get your opinion to really accomplish something insofar as passing laws or getting people elected.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:21 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs80 View Post
Because Democrats don't believe in life.

If you are for abortion, you are a heartless SOB.
So why are Republicans FOR the death penalty then? ...

AND for taking away Medicare/Medicaid for people who actually need it or will DIE w/o? Huh Huh?

Who's the heartless S*B now?

To OP's question, I vote because I came from a communistic country where I wasn't able to. I consider it an privilege to perform my civic duty of voting.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:28 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"What propelled you to participate in politics over the years?'

three things:
1. politics determines where/when/if my child goes to school and the taxes i pay to support it.
2. politics tells me which district/state i am in...so it tells me where i can vote and what for.
3. politics gives me a small chance to make a difference in just about anything in civic life.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:40 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Because our nation was founded on the principles of all citizens participating in the election of their leaders and administrators.
It wasn't made mandatory so some people don't vote and abuse the right the nation was built on and provided them. "Rule by the people".
Instead, they go on various forums and spend all their time bi%ch%ing about how things are and how the people have no say.
Now, the nation faces rule by one man but we still have a vote. We can do something about it and restore the nation of rule by the people. But we're running out of time.
That's why I always vote.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
For me, the bigger question is, why do so many people not vote? I was taught as a young child that voting was a right and a privledge, as well as a responsibility, to ensure I supported our democracy. I loathe politics and I do believe that the type of person who craves power to the degree of the majority of politicians can ever have average citizen’s best interests at heart. Still, I support those whose values most closely align with my own, understanding that most politicians, in their quest for greater power, willf forsake those values if they feel they need to, to hold onto or gain greater power. Essentially, I believe the vast majority of politicians are ego maniacs, desperately wanting to control everyone and everything, and sacrificing whatever real values they hold in the process. Still, to drop out and not vote would make me the ultimate guilty party and victim. Whether people choose to accept it or not, we are all collectively effected by who is running the country. To make a decision to not vote is the same, in my opinion, as saying, “I don’t care about the values, laws, rights or freedom of the U.S.” I may not “like” most politicians but, they are what we have so, short of running for office myself, which I have no interest in, voting is the least I can do to try to effect change. In my mind, people who don’t vote are not entitled to an opinion about politics at all. They simply don’t count.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:11 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I voted because I see Democrats rewarding and celebrating mediocrity and outright failure so to APPEAR inclusive even when it is NOT... I vote because I see liberals demanding EXPENSIVE free things and then demand that they do not pay for it themselves.... I vote because I am tired of illegals coming over here and the Democrats protect them because they think it will increase their base under the deceit of humanitarian reasons... I vote because I am tired of the Democrats and their wilful hate speech under the pretense of tolerance... I see what Democrats really are and it disgusts me ..

Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I’m a 54- year old male who has always voted with zeal since 18 years old. I look at my young lazy nephew and nieces and wonder why they don’t make the effort? Maybe I have it because I came from a Mex-American background in a racist state (Texas)? Maybe it’s because my parents dragged me to an event where politicians came out to speak in our mid-sized Texas town? I remember seeing Sargent Shriver in 1972, a tipsy Betty Ford in 1976 and Pres Carter in 1980. Since those times, I have volunteered or donated to campaigns that I agreed with. What propelled you to participate in politics over the years?
Me personally? Knowing that both of my grandmothers were born before women had the right to vote.

Sorry to hear about your nieces and nephews. Our family votes every year. Politics is a big part of our dinner time conversations, especially this time around while our youngest is taking AP Gov. Over the past few years, we've all driven over to the Sheriff's Department together to place our ballots in the drop box. I never give my kids the option of not voting. It's completely unacceptable in our family not to do so. I even drive my college student's ballot up to her at school because it's mailed to our home address. Last year, she ran out of time to mail it in, and I went up to get it so it would be counted.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:38 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
I know that every vote counts.

You know they all count as the GOP controlled states are making it harder to vote.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I've been voting since I became eligible to vote. The first person I voted for was Richard Nixon. I was a Young Republican on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies