Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
No we Independence always tend to vote for the lesser of two evils.
No matter how we voted, we always got the same damn globalist puppet, until Trump came along.
After Nixon, Carter had to be the savior. Carter just plain sucked and Reagan was the opposite.... at first, then he went full on globalist. Then I thought Bush would be able to carry Reagans economic outlook, but right back to getting the same old same ol. Clinton had to be different... Nope, by his second term, I was turned off(Yes I voted Clinton in 92)
Ron Paul caught my attention and it was eye opening. Clinton, Bush2 and Obama. ALL the same bird, with different wings. Puppets for their global masters.
Then came Trump. Now this guy is not like the others at all. He is telling us stuff we should have known long ago. He is letting us know in real time what he is doing and where he is going.
This one is NOTHING LIKE THE OTHERS. The others that sold us down the many rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
In making that call, I never really look at race, age, or gender. I can generally tell after talking with them for a short time or even just being around them and observing their behavior. Their mannerisms, appearance, and tendencies generally make it pretty clear.

Even their speech patterns. That is the most interesting challenge. I can generally listen to a voice on the radio (assuming I don't know the voice) for a short time and guess which side they fall on the political spectrum, just based on the sound of their voice, speech patterns, inflections, and word usage. Frequent use of certain words are a dead giveaway.

On a related note, lately the "little girl voice" has been an obvious giveaway. I'm not sure what the deal is, but so many female radio newscasters have settled into this really annoying little girl thing in their speech pitch and inflections--especially the rise in pitch at the end of phrases. EVERY phrase. Very annoying. It's like a completely-unsure-about-everything-in-life valley girl and kindergartner combined.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
In making that call, I never really look at race, age, or gender. I can generally tell after talking with them for a short time or even just being around them and observing their behavior. Their mannerisms, appearance, and tendencies generally make it pretty clear.

Even their speech patterns. That is the most interesting challenge. I can generally listen to a voice on the radio (assuming I don't know the voice) for a short time and guess which side they fall on the political spectrum, just based on the sound of their voice, speech patterns, inflections, and word usage. Frequent use of certain words are a dead giveaway.

On a related note, lately the "little girl voice" has been an obvious giveaway. I'm not sure what the deal is, but so many female radio newscasters have settled into this really annoying little girl thing in their speech pitch and inflections--especially the rise in pitch at the end of phrases. EVERY phrase. Very annoying. It's like a completely-unsure-about-everything-in-life valley girl and kindergartner combined.
To me, that's the way Kelly Anne Conway sounds.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:13 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
How accurate do you think you would be in identifying a persons party affiliation just by looking at them?

50 year old black guy....probably democrat. 60 year old white guy with a resting frown face.....Republican.

Nothing like judging a book by it's cover.

I at least wait until the person starts talking to peg them as a Rep or a Dem. What is funny is that the Dems are usually easy to figure out because they are the ones that are angry, bitter and deranged.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:57 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Better than even odds, not perfectly. Geography, race, gender, age, socioeconomic status, choice of clothing, facial structure, how well groomed they are, context you see them in etc. can all be good signals. Geography/race/age/SES you're just looking for membership of groups which in aggregate lean one way or the other. In terms of individual appearance individuals which are very masculine/feminine in line with their gender will tend to be more Republican (and vice-versa), as will people who put more care into the details of their day-to-day personal appearance (what I mean by day-to-day is being in shape isn't a tell but wearing frayed clothing or having half-done nails is). Visible tattoos and colored hair are very strong Democrat indicators, dressing in way that is formal to the point of mild social inappropriateness is a very strong Republican indicator.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
If I was given a person's age, income, profession and race, I bet I could guess their political party affiliation over 75% of the time. where they live in the US isn't very important.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:12 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I can tell by inspecting the knuckles. Republicans have bruised and raw knuckles from dragging them while they walk. Seriously, education is a better predictor these days than any physical characteristic.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If I was given a person's age, income, profession and race, I bet I could guess their political party affiliation over 75% of the time.
1. 53, ~$225k, technology consultant, Caucasian.

2. 47, ~$300k, small business owner, Caucasian

3. 78, ~$75k, retiree from federal service, Caucasian

4. 50, ~$200k, technology sales, mixed race

Go!

Last edited by randomparent; 11-18-2018 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: I was a little low on the retiree's annual salary

Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
I am a Hispanic female from Texas who married into a White European family that now resides all over the US. They are citizens now. Nobody in my husband's family will ever vote for any republicans and are shocked that minorities like my family would vote red. I have a tendency to vote republican but not always and I will never vote for Donald Trump. However, his rise to the presidency did not surprise me because of my experience of growing up in Texas. It was just a matter of time.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:25 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
1. 53, ~$225k, technology consultant, Caucasian.

2. 49, ~$300k, small business owner, Caucasian

3. 78, ~$50, retiree (Director of logistics organization, federal service), Caucasian

4. 50, ~$200k, technology sales, mixed race

Go!
1. democrat, based on profession.

2. republican

3. democrat

4. democrat

However, I doubt you know any republicans or at least any republicans who would choose to admit their real political views to you, random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies