Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 02:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are over 100,000 polling places in the US, you've got 3 that are having issues.

This is the government we're talking about after all.

Just what sort of a Eff up rate to you normally expect from our local governments?
I expect that after how many years of voting in this country that they would have figured it out by now. I realize government is slow and makes everything harder than it should be, but damn, we've been voting for over 200 years. Surely the government could have figured it out in that time. It's not like this jumped out at them at the last second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 02:13 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
It makes me very glad that the "voting machine" here in Montana is a ball point pen with black or blue ink.
Mark the ballot, drop it in the box or send it in, done.
Of course, the counting machines are electronic, but they are in the county elections office where there are plenty of power cords and wall outlets, and a back up generator. They are also not connected to the internet, so they can't be hacked! If all else fails, the ballots can be hand counted. In fact, if a recount is demanded, it will be done by hand.
Sometimes the lack of technology can be a wonderful thing.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

Rubbish. Kemp is in charge and he has been pulling one dirty trick after another to reduce the liberal vote. He has been directly targeting democratic regions and minorities.

You know it, I know it, the dogs in the street know it.
Pfffft. Brian Kemp lost Fulton County's power cords on purpose, we are to suppose? Sent a SOS hit squad to round up their cords and FedEx them to Effingham County, perhaps?

Here's the hard, cold reality: Those voting machines in Fulton County had power cords for the past two weeks, because they were used to record early voting turnout in Fulton County, a turnout which was a itself a record in terms of the numbers of ballots cast. The responsibility for distributing the voting hardware to the individual precincts for Election Day voting is, as it always has been, that of county election officials. Period. End. Of. Sentence.

Really. You should just back out of this thread while you still have a chance to salvage what little may remain of your tattered intellectual dignity here.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:24 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I expect that after how many years of voting in this country that they would have figured it out by now. I realize government is slow and makes everything harder than it should be, but damn, we've been voting for over 200 years. Surely the government could have figured it out in that time. It's not like this jumped out at them at the last second.
Don't confuse your frustration with how things SHOULD be with how things are.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:28 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Drop the meme.

Each county in Georgia is responsible for administering, [i]running[i] its own local, state and national elections. The employees are county employees, the volunteers - many are used in each county - come from the county, the equipment is housed, before and after the elections in county buildings...

So, appears this heavily Democratic county screwed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Oh, really? Are you the one responsible for bringing a power cord to your voting place?

the REPUBLICAN Secretary of State is responsible for running elections, not voters.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
I wonder how they got through the last election, I didn't hear these are new machines. These bureaucrats spend the entire year preparing one day and they have this cartoon.

This screwup is bipartisan, something we have come to expect.

I blame Kemp for a lot of things but when it comes to missing power cords at one district I give him a bye.

Last edited by Goodnight; 11-06-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Drop the meme.

Each county in Georgia is responsible for administering, [i]running[i] its own local, state and national elections. The employees are county employees, the volunteers - many are used in each county - come from the county, the equipment is housed, before and after the elections in county buildings...

So, appears this heavily Democratic county screwed up.
Elections in Atlanta, Georgia are conducted by the Fulton County Elections Office. Here is the link:

Fulton County Elections Office

Old 11-06-2018, 02:34 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Pfffft. Brian Kemp lost Fulton County's power cords on purpose, we are to suppose? Sent a SOS hit squad to round up their cords and FedEx them to Effingham County, perhaps?

Here's the hard, cold reality: Those voting machines in Fulton County had power cords for the past two weeks, because they were used to record early voting turnout in Fulton County, a turnout which was a itself a record in terms of the numbers of ballots cast. The responsibility for distributing the voting hardware to the individual precincts for Election Day voting is, as it always has been, that of county election officials. Period. End. Of. Sentence.

Really. You should just back out of this thread while you still have a chance to salvage what little may remain of your tattered intellectual dignity here.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:46 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Georgia voters wait hours after county mistakenly installs only three machines at polling site

Many voters in Fulton County, Georgia, were forced to wait hours to cast their ballots on Election Day at a polling site in Atlanta after the county mistakenly installed only three voting machines.

County Elections Director Rick Barron said at a press conference on Tuesday that part of the reason voters had to wait in long lines at the Pittman Park Recreation Center on Election Day was because too few machines were sent to the polling location, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Only three machines were installed.

Rev. Jesse Jackson called the mishap “a classic example of voter suppression” in a statement on Facebook and went to the precinct, after the issue began to prompt outrage on social media, to encourage voters to stay. “It’s a classic example of voter suppression, denying people easy access to exercise their right to vote,” Jackson said in the statement. “But today, the people said we will not be deterred.”

Old 11-06-2018, 02:46 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
don't worry they will do what they do in chicago - just make up the numbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies